The Student Room Group

Life is downhill for a woman after kids and marriage

Marriage is so overrated. All my friends that have gotten married look so miserable, frumpy, bored and stressed out of their life.

Once you have children. Life ends for a woman. Freedom and fun is over. Responsibility takes over. Your body is never the same after pregnancy. You can't enjoy your holidays anymore because you have your kids hanging around. You go out partying and leave your kid with a minder, you're a bad mother. You become a stay in mum, you're lazy and should get a job. Not to forget you're a doormat, if it's your husband that has persuaded you to stay at home.

If you're a working mother, It's stressing and exhausting, you have no time for yourself. It's a chaotic life made even worse by the fact your husband never helps you out or lifts a finger when he's home. Being a full-time working mother can lead to feelings of guilt and stress because of divided attention between work and family.

Having children suck! Id rather have 10 cats for company.
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Um, a little assumption with the husband's role.

But you are of course allowed to have your own opinions.

Some say the reward of a kid's happiness and success is worth the hardship.
the idea that mums cannot have fun after having children is not good, just seems very restricting for them tbh

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
And life is rock bottom once a man gets married :biggrin:
Get a househusband OP!
Reply 5
Original post by Athena64
Um, a little assumption with the husband's role.

But you are of course allowed to have your own opinions.

Some say the reward of a kid's happiness and success is worth the hardship.

Not when they dump you in a care home when you need them the most after all the sacrifices you've made for them.
Original post by Sarahsez
Not when they dump you in a care home when you need them the most after all the sacrifices you've made for them.

In the other cultures they sometimes look after you themselves. And a care home is an act of concern for kids, they want to make sure you are safe and cared for.
Reply 7
Original post by bubblegumcat
the idea that mums cannot have fun after having children is not good, just seems very restricting for them tbh

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's what society expects. Toomuch fun and you're instantly a bad irresponsible mother. Fathers get away with everything.
Reply 8
Reply 9
Original post by HAnwar

Says the male.

Joke. Can you tell why you think OP is rubbish?
(edited 7 years ago)
This is why people should have cats instead of kids
Original post by Pinkberry_y
This is why people should have cats instead of kids

But if we're striving for equality here there should be dogs as well.
I have 7 kids. I've been widowed once and divorced once. I have never felt having kids has stopped me doing what I wanted. My children are all grown up now with children of their own and I'm at university. Sure, you have ups and downs, but, overall, I enjoyed it.
Complete rubbish. There is nothing 'downhill' about getting married and having children. Marriage and having children are the foundations of society.
Reply 14
Says the male.

Joke. Can you tell why you think OP is rubbish?

I'm female.

I pretty much agree with what Athena64 said.
I've met a countless number of mothers who've said despite the huge responsibility they have, it's all worth it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
Original post by Seamus123
I have 7 kids. I've been widowed once and divorced once. I have never felt having kids has stopped me doing what I wanted. My children are all grown up now with children of their own and I'm at university. Sure, you have ups and downs, but, overall, I enjoyed it.

Are you a mother though?
Are you a mother though?

Yes.
Original post by HAnwar
I'm female.

that was the best reply ever.
Reply 18
Original post by Seamus123

Nice to know you enjoyed it. Just wondering now that your children have grown up only now you've decided to go to university? ?
Although you're exaggerating and being melodramatic, I do think that the overused formula marriage + kids = happiness seem to be drilled into too many minds and too deeply. Also, the way you just constructed this question is going to have people throw at you the 'selfish' card which can be thrown back twice as hard at people who do have kids. Basically, having children sucks if you have them for many reasons other than actually wanting to nourish a child with time, money and love. I know that sounds obvious, but all you have to do is give them an anonymous forum and they will flood it with reasons as to why they had them in the first place: it's what you did; society says so; I didn't want to be alone; I wanted to have one to keep my man/woman; I wanted to pass on the family name and on and on it goes, some plainly admitting that they even regret having them. I just think they'd be a lot less cases of abuse and adoptive children if there wasn't such a stigma for not having kids. Having children can be the most amazing thing you've ever done in your life - the best gift you have been given - and that's great! Wish we had more people like that! But it shouldn't be "sold" as the only means of fulfilment.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending