The Student Room Group

Made the wrong choice with an apprenticeship

A couple of months ago, I decided I did not want to go to University. I had everything set up - accommodation, loan, etc, I was just waiting on my grades.

I was lucky enough to get an apprenticeship in what I thought was my 'dream job'. However, I hate it. I'm basically just used as a 'spare part'. I'm supposed to be doing Graphic Design, but I've sorted more shelves and drawers and covered reception (which they did not tell me I would have to do) more than I have actually done any design work.

I can feel my mental health deteriorating more and more each day. From 9-5 every single day I am anxious. Not to mention that I am exhausted. I feel like I'm wasting my life away working 9-5 doing something I hate and not having the energy to do anything when I come home at the end of it. They also failed to tell me that I would have to work 2 weeks in hand with no pay at the start of it. I wouldn't have minded doing this, but I woke up on my first pay day to find I had been paid 2 weeks less than what I had been there for.

My apprenticeship is 18 months, so it's not even like I can just apply again for uni next year because I'll still be there.

I know this post is basically just me complaining, but I'm honestly so lost and confused about what I can/should do in this situation :frown: I'm becoming withdrawn and snappy and I can feel myself falling deeper and deeper into my mental health issues, which I thought I had under control before this.
Reply 1
We're all going through a tough time and seeing you talk about and express how bad you feel about the apprenticeship helped me unimaginably. Ugh I sound like an automated message right now but knowing how someone feels about what they are doing can help others. This doesn't even seem really negative like most complaints I've seen in other sites would be.

Anyways, Wish I could return the favor to you but no need to hold back how you feel so let it all out :h:

I'm personally at a similar situation as you but without a job. Those sort of jobs I'm trying to avoid and I want something that would help me apply my skills (basically what you'd want). But, apprenticeship wise, it isn't easy to find I guess.

Above all though, I hope you get better somehow :frown:
(edited 7 years ago)
I'd say go look for something elsewhere, but in this day and age, that's easier said than done. I mean, you could always leave and stick it with an agency while you look for something more permanent while you're bringing money in. I know Encore pays under 25's £7.20.

I'm not saying go for agency work, all I'm saying is that you should go out and look for something else to do. Maybe find something to do that pays better while looking for something else.
Original post by LisaH97
A couple of months ago, I decided I did not want to go to University. I had everything set up - accommodation, loan, etc, I was just waiting on my grades.

I was lucky enough to get an apprenticeship in what I thought was my 'dream job'. However, I hate it. I'm basically just used as a 'spare part'. I'm supposed to be doing Graphic Design, but I've sorted more shelves and drawers and covered reception (which they did not tell me I would have to do) more than I have actually done any design work.

I can feel my mental health deteriorating more and more each day. From 9-5 every single day I am anxious. Not to mention that I am exhausted. I feel like I'm wasting my life away working 9-5 doing something I hate and not having the energy to do anything when I come home at the end of it. They also failed to tell me that I would have to work 2 weeks in hand with no pay at the start of it. I wouldn't have minded doing this, but I woke up on my first pay day to find I had been paid 2 weeks less than what I had been there for.

My apprenticeship is 18 months, so it's not even like I can just apply again for uni next year because I'll still be there.

I know this post is basically just me complaining, but I'm honestly so lost and confused about what I can/should do in this situation :frown: I'm becoming withdrawn and snappy and I can feel myself falling deeper and deeper into my mental health issues, which I thought I had under control before this.

If you really aren't happy then you can hand in your notice and quit your apprenticeship, you don't have to stay the full 18 months. However you need to think about what you would do instead.
Reply 4
In all honesty most apprenticeships do start with the mundane grunt work. Emptying bins, sorting shelves and so on. You rarely ever start 'doing the job' right away. Each week you'll get a little more to do.*
Hey,

I'm doing an apprenticeship too and I can sort of relate to some of the things you said. If you ever need someone to talk to just send me a message, I'm here for you :smile:
Reply 6
You have to start from the bottom. An apprenticeship is what it says on the tin - being an apprentice. You can't expect to be doing the big boy stuff straight away. It will get better and more interesting as you go on trust me.
Eh, I've heard many bad things about most graphic design apprenticeships tho. I'd say quit to go uni next year, at least you'll have something on your CV.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending