The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by ELVsLP
who cares, friends are overrated. learn how to enjoy your independence

You are totally right.
I wish I had that mentality back in school.

I don't think you need friends in life.
Just family and a spouse.
Original post by Ttingox
I see.
What exactly is this sixth form college, I never understood.

I am from the USA, and here it's 1st to 12th grade and then college which is university.

And how old are you by the way, i'm 24.

Yeah most people on here are from the UK. So college here will be USA equivalent to senior high school I think. Plus here we call it university while over there you call it college.
In this year, my final year of college, I'm in the same position. I only have 1 friend who I see very scarcely now and if I stay at college (normally don't cause I only have 3 lessons a week) then ye im by myself but eh

so ist das leben
Original post by Ttingox
I see.

I am from the USA, and here it's 1st to 12th grade and then college which is university.

And how old are you by the way, i'm 24.

Sixth form college is where UK students generally aged between 16 and 18 can study their A levels for (usually) 2 years after spending 5 years in high school (secondary school).

I'm 19 :smile:
Original post by Ttingox

In the UK, a college is an institution where 16-18 year olds can learn vocational skills such as hair dressing, carpentry, journalism, photography, child care, etc.

A sixth form is where you do A-levels, the standard academic qualifications 16-18 year olds take.

So a sixth form college is a college which also offers A-levels. They tend to be less strict than standard sixth forms. For example, in my sixth form college you don't have to wear a uniform. There is also a perception that sixth form colleges are worse than standard sixth forms. It's probably true.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 25
Original post by mr T 999
Yeah most people on here are from the UK. So college here will be USA equivalent to senior high school I think. Plus here we call it university while over there you call it college.

I see thank you for the explanation.
Reply 26
Original post by Leviathan1741
Sixth form college is where UK students generally aged between 16 and 18 can study their A levels for (usually) 2 years after spending 5 years in high school (secondary school).

I'm 19 :smile:

Thank you for the explanation :smile:.
I would say that you should try talking to some people. I know it's hard. I have just started at a college and left friends of 12 years behind. Being alone is one of the worst things. The best thing to do is to find someone with similar hobbies to you and go from there.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 28
Original post by Abstract_Prism
In the UK, a college is an institution where 16-18 year olds can learn vocational skills such as hair dressing, carpentry, journalism, photography, child care, etc.

A sixth form is where you do A-levels, the standard academic qualifications 16-18 year olds take.

So a sixth form college is a college which also offers A-levels. They tend to be less strict than standard sixth forms. For example, in my sixth form college you don't have to wear a uniform. There is also a perception that sixth form colleges are worse than standard sixth forms. It's probably true.

I see
I now understand.
Thank you for the detailed explanation.
I'm 21 and I've pretty much always been the same. I seemed to drift away from all my friends in year 11 after I came out as gay. I made some friends when I first went to uni, but then I dropped out. Now I've started at a new uni but haven't made any at all. Sucks really but I know it's mostly due to circumstances. I do have friends but they're mostly dotted all round the country. I haven't been on a night out in ages. You get used to it after a while.
Yup. Kind of experiencing this now.

I kept a low-profile friends group..as in, I didn't keep a large friends group for reasons that I'd stick with one/two people all the way. Eventually, this year, my best friend (for 5 years), who is in the same sixth form as me, has taken the same subjects as me but is in diff classes and form group has gone with someone else, leaving me alone.
People get bullied at all ages because, unfortunately, people don't grow out of being A** holes to other people. Best thing I can say is find different friends. If you're in work make sure you're in a union and if you're in school make sure someone knows they are acting this way so they can't land you in trouble.

Being alone sucks but it's not forever. Try to make different friends (year above/below, people from a different class etc) or maybe reach out to someone else who always sits alone. You're never the only one.
Reply 32
I see many have experienced are experiencing this right now.

All I can say is , and someone here said it is , that really friends are overrated and we should value our independence.
So if you are alone it's not bad, on the contrary, you don't need other people.
During the breaks between classess sit in a nice, quiet place and read an interesting book or listen to relaxing music or play a nice game on your phone, or whatever makes you feel good.

Another thing I want you to remember is that there is no reason you should feel bad about not having friends.
Just focus on yourself, your success and on what makes you feel good.
(edited 7 years ago)
OP, are you me?

I'm in Year 13 now. I haven't done anything with anyone from sixth form outside of school ever, not once. Every lunch I sit on my own, on a table all on my own. There's this one guy I sit with occasionally when we both see each other, but that's probably once a week and we don't talk outside of sixth form.

Attachment not found

I am 95% Tomoko.

I was like that in year 13 because my only friend left, and I chose not to join in with other "fake" friends. I used to walk around or go to the library alone and curse everyone in my head XD I was such a lovely girl.

I just really struggled with friendships in my last year, all the friends I had were not as great as I thought they were in year 12.
Reply 34
Another thing I want you all to remember is that it's better to be alone than to be with people who make you feel bad.

Don't get into the trap of having friends at all cost just not to be alone.
I was there and it's a horrible place.
When you are around people you don't enjoy being simply to not be alone or be seen alone.

And another super important point is simply don't care what others think of you. It doesn't matter what they think.
I know because I was always ashamed of being seen alone without friends.
But you know what it doesn't matter what others think of you, be proud in yourself and do what feels good.
OP, are you me?

I'm in Year 13 now. I haven't done anything with anyone from sixth form outside of school ever, not once. Every lunch I sit on my own, on a table all on my own. There's this one guy I sit with occasionally when we both see each other, but that's probably once a week and we don't talk outside of sixth form.

Attachment not found

I am 95% Tomoko.

Your life is literally mine.
This is literally me. I'm up this late because I couldn't stop thinking about my friend situation. I have friends (although I don't have a 'best' friend or a really close friend I can confide in about everything) but I don't have a 'squad' so I don't really have anyone to sit with at lunch - it's making me dread school tbh. My friends all have their own squads and I feel awkward being a hanger on and eating lunch with one of my friend's squads so I usually just spend most of my time in the computer room or something :-/ Most of the time I sit with a few people but having to search for people to sit with gives me anxiety and makes me dread lunch :frown:
Original post by Ttingox
Another thing I want you all to remember is that it's better to be alone than to be with people who make you feel bad.

Don't get into the trap of having friends at all cost just not to be alone.
I was there and it's a horrible place.

I'm going to disagree there.

I believed the same as you, which is why I jettisoned the few friends I had by Year 12 in the belief that they were making me feel bad and I would be better off without them.

Now I've been friendless for a year, and I've concluded that it actually is better to have any friends, than no friends at all.
Reply 38
Original post by Rocketship
This is literally me. I'm up this late because I couldn't stop thinking about my friend situation. I have friends (although I don't have a 'best' friend or a really close friend I can confide in about everything) but I don't have a 'squad' so I don't really have anyone to sit with at lunch - it's making me dread school tbh. My friends all have their own squads and I feel awkward being a hanger on and eating lunch with one of my friend's squads so I usually just spend most of my time in the computer room or something :-/ Most of the time I sit with a few people but having to search for people to sit with gives me anxiety and makes me dread lunch :frown:

I think you need to stop dreading and fearing sitting alone.
Don't chase other people.
Enjoy by yourself.
Like you said, go to the computer room or read an intresting book.
Do what you enjoy by yourself.
Had no friends for 7 years and prior to that was bullied for 3 years, mostly due to people not understanding my chronic illness. Thankfully now I've made a couple of friends in uni and have begun to turn my life around, although my social skills are atrocious.

Latest

Trending

Trending