The Student Room Group

Should I take a gap year?

To keep it short, long term circumstances have had a huge impact on my grades with just above average GCSE's and then pretty bad AS levels. Im expected to get 3 A*'s at A2 but I highly doubt any universities are going pay much attention to that looking at my AS grades. So the questions is, it is worth putting off applying and taking a gap year so that I can apply with my good grades a year later?

And would it ever be worth apllying to any of the high end universities even with A* 's?
Original post by 410141
To keep it short, long term circumstances have had a huge impact on my grades with just above average GCSE's and then pretty bad AS levels. Im expected to get 3 A*'s at A2 but I highly doubt any universities are going pay much attention to that looking at my AS grades. So the questions is, it is worth putting off applying and taking a gap year so that I can apply with my good grades a year later?

And would it ever be worth apllying to any of the high end universities even with A* 's?

What are your AS grades and what degree are you going for?
Reply 2
Original post by Moogle679
What are your AS grades and what degree are you going for?

CEE in Maths, F.Maths and physics, and I want to study physics. I know they're awful but I do have reasons as to why 😞
Original post by 410141
CEE in Maths, F.Maths and physics, and I want to study physics. I know they're awful but I do have reasons as to why 😞

But you got predicted A*A*A*? I'm assuming you are re-taking a few exams then? If you have reasons why they are not as good as they could have been you should be able to include that on your application for this year? It may be worth noting some universities offer unconditional offers to those predicted A*A*A* such as Birmingham (or so I was told when I went there for an open day) so it may be worth calling up the specific uni's that you are looking at applying for to get to know what they have to say about it.
Reply 4
Original post by Moogle679
But you got predicted A*A*A*? I'm assuming you are re-taking a few exams then? If you have reasons why they are not as good as they could have been you should be able to include that on your application for this year? It may be worth noting some universities offer unconditional offers to those predicted A*A*A* such as Birmingham (or so I was told when I went there for an open day) so it may be worth calling up the specific uni's that you are looking at applying for to get to know what they have to say about it.

Im retaking maths modules and my physics AS doesnt count anyway. Ive been told that universities dont pay much attention to predicted grades which is what worried me. Ive never heard of unconditional offers like that so I will definitely do some research on that thank you :smile:
Original post by 410141
Im retaking maths modules and my physics AS doesnt count anyway. Ive been told that universities dont pay much attention to predicted grades which is what worried me. Ive never heard of unconditional offers like that so I will definitely do some research on that thank you :smile:

That should hopefully work out well for you then. I would have to say that they do purely because the reason I didn't get into my first choice was because of predicted grades and that was the sole reason I was told I got rejected for, I then got the grades they wanted anyway but it was too late by then 😔 Neither had I till I got asked about it at an open day by one of their professors haha, no problem I hope it all works out for you 😊
Reply 6
Take a gap year and get money behind you and experiences like apply for internships and volunteer work to help your Cv

Quick Reply

Latest