The Student Room Group

is anyone else not fitting into uni?

I've moved from London to up north.
I'm used to having a lot of people my race around.
I'm not used to people staring at me because I'm of different race to them.

also my flatmates and I just don't click. they're all into this party life, while I'm more into the athlete life.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
Same problem really. I'm at a uni which I transferred to from one in central london. It's on the outskirts of london so it's a different atmosphere to a city uni. I live at home anyway so it's not that bad for me but you should look into joining some societies because that's where most people make their friends.
Original post by unaManzana

also my flatmates and I just don't click. they're all into this party life, while I'm more into the athlete life.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hello :smile:,

I can understand that's it's difficult but just give it a bit longer and attempt to enjoy yourself. Join sports societies and athletic societies and you'll meet people with similar interests to you and make friends this way. Also when you start your course you'll make friends this way!

Just keep pushing!
Good luck :biggrin:

Welcome to the United Kingdom. I'm quite shocked that anyone who grows up in Britain can 'not be used' to white people, but we don't bite. I had never really seen a black person in the flesh before I moved to London but then I moved to a majority black area: a lot of staring was done on both sides, but people are naturally curious and at the end of the day if you choose to be intimidated it will be intimidating, if you choose to let it wash over you like the harmless curiosity it is then it will be fine.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Can't you be an athlete and party sometimes as well? I didn't have much in common with my flatmates either, but it was only one year after all, so I just opened myself up to the experience of doing things I hadn't done before. As the year went on we found different friendship groups but we still did things occasionally together. I still see one of them from time to time, even though I have nothing really in common with her at all, just one thing, and that something that I was never really interested in before I went to uni. If you look for common ground you'll usually find it somewhere. Nobody is 'only' into partying after all.
Original post by Copperknickers
Welcome to the United Kingdom. I'm quite shocked that anyone who grows up in Britain can 'not be used' to white people, but we don't bite. I had never really seen a black person in the flesh before I moved to London but then I moved to a majority black area: a lot of staring was done on both sides, but people are naturally curious and at the end of the day if you choose to be intimidated it will be intimidating, if you choose to let it wash over you like the harmless curiosity it is then it will be fine.

Can't you be an athlete and party sometimes as well? I didn't have much in common with my flatmates either, but it was only one year after all, so I just opened myself up to the experience of doing things I hadn't done before. As the year went on we found different friendship groups but we still did things occasionally together. I still see one of them from time to time, even though I have nothing really in common with her at all, just one thing, and that something that I was never really interested in before I went to uni. If you look for common ground you'll usually find it somewhere. Nobody is 'only' into partying after all.

wow thank you for this

thank you all guys

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
wow thank you for this

thank you all guys

Posted from TSR Mobile

What race are you if you don't mind me asking? And I'd give it a few weeks at your uni as you might start to feel more comfortable and make new friends. If you still feel uncomfortable then you could look at unis elsewhere possibly closer to home?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending