The Student Room Group

Law, Biology or Psychology?!

I need some help deciding what degree I want to do. I chose Law because it has great career prospects and you can virtually go into any industry with it. Also, I do find it quite interesting, especially the criminology side of the law. I find Psychology SUPER interesting and I'd love to continue studying it, but I don't really want to go into the mental health profession or any career related to psychology - I just really like the subject. It's the same with biology. I've always loved biology, since year 11. I do find it interesting and I'd love to study zoology, but the career prospects and average salary for those with biology or psychology degrees just simply aren't on the same level with law. I know money isn't everything and the be all and end all, but I'd quite like to do a degree where I have somewhat of an indication as to where I'd like to end up career wise. Any advise is greatly appreciated!
Be careful with law. It's only those who come from top unis who tend to make the big bucks. There are many more law graduates than training contracts, so many end up being disappointed and going into other careers. If you are aiming for a Russell Group uni it's a great degree, but from elsewhere be more circumspect.

Job prospects for biology and psychology in particular are not great if you stay in the field. However, the vast majority of these graduates will go into other careers. And remember you can enter law from any degree if you do a law conversion course. So that would keep your options open (but at another year at least of education and expense).
Reply 2
I disagree that Biology (or derivatives like zoology) doesn't have as good career prospects as law. That's if you're literally looking at being a lawyer. Yes, if you become a barrister you'll be earning big bucks but that is very unlikely especially if you aren't passionate about the subject and aren't at a top reputable uni and even more unlikely if you don't have the money or parents to fund it. Also you can always do a law conversion after uni. I would say for unrelated grad entry jobs both law and biology are equally respected. They both give you transferrable skills for the future and both are considered solid degrees.
Psychology I am not being rude but it isn't as highly thought of as the other two. It's just a fact. However if you are really passionate it's better to get a 1st in psychology than a 2.2 in law or even a 2.1 also enjoying yourself at uni and your subject is very important or you will have a **** 3 years take it from me i have friends who hated their degrees and were sick of uni by the end of it.

I would choose whichever you prefer out of law and biology. Go for psychology if you really love it.
Reply 3
Original post by chazwomaq
Be careful with law. It's only those who come from top unis who tend to make the big bucks. There are many more law graduates than training contracts, so many end up being disappointed and going into other careers. If you are aiming for a Russell Group uni it's a great degree, but from elsewhere be more circumspect.

Job prospects for biology and psychology in particular are not great if you stay in the field. However, the vast majority of these graduates will go into other careers. And remember you can enter law from any degree if you do a law conversion course. So that would keep your options open (but at another year at least of education and expense).

I'm aiming for Russell Group for all subjects, really. Yeah, I have considered the conversion course but it's an extra year of education which is costly!
Reply 4
Original post by Moura
I disagree that Biology (or derivatives like zoology) doesn't have as good career prospects as law. That's if you're literally looking at being a lawyer. Yes, if you become a barrister you'll be earning big bucks but that is very unlikely especially if you aren't passionate about the subject and aren't at a top reputable uni and even more unlikely if you don't have the money or parents to fund it. Also you can always do a law conversion after uni. I would say for unrelated grad entry jobs both law and biology are equally respected. They both give you transferrable skills for the future and both are considered solid degrees.
Psychology I am not being rude but it isn't as highly thought of as the other two. It's just a fact. However if you are really passionate it's better to get a 1st in psychology than a 2.2 in law or even a 2.1 also enjoying yourself at uni and your subject is very important or you will have a **** 3 years take it from me i have friends who hated their degrees and were sick of uni by the end of it.

I would choose whichever you prefer out of law and biology. Go for psychology if you really love it.

I do really want to do Law, but sometimes I do go 'actually...' or 'but...' whenever I think about it. I'm not sure whether it's just I'm not as interested in it or whether it's because I've never studied it before. Biology, I really do like. I do find it interesting, what other careers can you do with a biology/biology related degree?
Hi I’m having the exact same problem and I noticed this was posted a few years ago so I’m guessing you are already at uni- what course did you pick in the end?
Reply 6
I was in a similar predicament two years ago. My choice was between Law and a healthcare course. Of course I went for law and I do not regret one single bit. Choice of university is very important because the courses vary greatly between the different universities but ya Law was definitely the right choice for me. Psychology has relatively bad job prospects. It’s a very stressful career that has you working in a sort of very limited capacity. You’re not a psychiatrist. So you are greatly limited in what you can do. I wouldn’t even consider biology. It’s a career that has zero job prospects. Students often use these kind of careers as a stepping stone to pharmacy, dentistry and medicine.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending