The Student Room Group

What phone do you use?

Scroll to see replies

I got the Honor 7 today. Before that I had Asus Zenfone 2.
HTC one m7 - Still a beast of a phone but its battery, its battery :frown:
I am using windows phone
iPhone 5s
Nokia Lumia 630. it's kind of old but still works great for me, and it was only £80. Only downside is lack of apps.
Original post by fr0sr_
LG G4

Android Master Race

Is it a good phone, that is worth purchasing?

Reason why I am asking is that I have a fairly old phone (samsung galaxy S4) and am looking to upgrade. Thinking about an LG G4 because it is still reasonably modern, yet has features I need that a modern Samsung won't.
my mum still doesn't let me get one! :frown:
Original post by spotify95

Reason why I am asking is that I have a fairly old phone (samsung galaxy S4) and am looking to upgrade. Thinking about an LG G4 because it is still reasonably modern, yet has features I need that a modern Samsung won't.

Budget? What features are you looking for in particular?
I have two xDDD.

1.Nokia 100- only £11 from Tesco and I've had it for around 5 years.The most amazing thing is that is is durable, I've dropped it too many times to count AND the battery lasts- I only tend to charge every 2 weeks in low power saving mode.

2. Iphone 6 plus- No number on this. My brother gave to me-mainly just for taking photos, emails and keeping up in the loop with school friends.
(edited 7 years ago)
A Vodafone!

I'd say so. Runs nice and smoothly, and has many valuable features, as per the below review;
http://www.gsmarena.com/lg_g4-review-1254.php
I'd watch out for the monthly charge though (if you're talking about contracts) as I'm paying £45p/m :redface:

I did also experience the infamous "Boot loop" issue - of which I do believe only affected a number of models.Can't fault LG's response though, they repaired it free of charge.
Take it away,
Original post by fr0sr_
Take it away, @Gofre

I'm waiting for him to reply with budget and the features that are most important to him before making a recommendation.
i phone 7.
Reply 314
I still have my HTC One M8 but I ordered the new Samsung Galaxy Note 7 yesterday.

And it's the one that doesn't explode (hopefully)
Original post by UWS
I still have my HTC One M8 but I ordered the new Samsung Galaxy Note 7 yesterday.

And it's the one that doesn't explode (hopefully)

You should be fine, Samsung have even released a new clothing line to further complement the Galaxy Note 7 experience.

Reply 316
Reminds me of this, which I assume is where the joke came from :lol:

Original post by fr0sr_
I'd say so. Runs nice and smoothly, and has many valuable features, as per the below review;
http://www.gsmarena.com/lg_g4-review-1254.php
I'd watch out for the monthly charge though (if you're talking about contracts) as I'm paying £45p/m :redface:

I did also experience the infamous "Boot loop" issue - of which I do believe only affected a number of models.Can't fault LG's response though, they repaired it free of charge.
Take it away,

Excellent, in which case I may well get one. I've been looking at the LG G4 for quite a while now as it is much more up to date than the Galaxy S4 that I currently own. I'm not looking for a top of the range phone (i.e. LG G5, Samsung S7, iPhone 6S etc) because they are too much money - I'll be buying the phone outright as I already have a 12 month SIM Only contract with EE.

I have heard of the boot loop issues previously, though I've looked and it doesn't seem to affect them all, just the early ones.

Apologies for the delays in responding - the reason why I was looking at the G4 in particular was because they are relatively cheap (£299 from Argos, or close to £200 for a used G4 from eBay), they have a removable battery (and unlike the G5, the back comes off too, allowing for you to put a bigger back on, and thus a bigger battery) and SD card, but more importantly, it has a special setting in the hidden field test mode which allows the phone to ignore 2G networks, but connect to anything else (so 3G and 4G, but not 2G). This is extremely useful, because the Samsung S4 that I have drops down to 2G whenever it feels like (usually when 3G is still available!), and streaming media (youtube, spotify, tunein radio etc) just will not work on 2G. And considering that I use Tunein Radio quite a lot, that 3G/4G mode will definitely improve reliability. (Plus, I've heard of reports that the S4 has quite a poor antenna in it.)
Excellent, in which case I may well get one. I've been looking at the LG G4 for quite a while now as it is much more up to date than the Galaxy S4 that I currently own. I'm not looking for a top of the range phone (i.e. LG G5, Samsung S7, iPhone 6S etc) because they are too much money - I'll be buying the phone outright as I already have a 12 month SIM Only contract with EE.

I have heard of the boot loop issues previously, though I've looked and it doesn't seem to affect them all, just the early ones.

@Gofre Apologies for the delays in responding - the reason why I was looking at the G4 in particular was because they are relatively cheap (£299 from Argos, or close to £200 for a used G4 from eBay), they have a removable battery (and unlike the G5, the back comes off too, allowing for you to put a bigger back on, and thus a bigger battery) and SD card, but more importantly, it has a special setting in the hidden field test mode which allows the phone to ignore 2G networks, but connect to anything else (so 3G and 4G, but not 2G). This is extremely useful, because the Samsung S4 that I have drops down to 2G whenever it feels like (usually when 3G is still available!), and streaming media (youtube, spotify, tunein radio etc) just will not work on 2G. And considering that I use Tunein Radio quite a lot, that 3G/4G mode will definitely improve reliability. (Plus, I've heard of reports that the S4 has quite a poor antenna in it.)

If switching the battery out for a higher capacity one is your primary concern, then the G4 is the most recent phone that I'm aware of with a removable back that has this option available. Beyond that, the OnePlus 3 for £329 is substantially more powerful and better built, and will most likely see software support for long by virtue of being one year newer and an enthusiastic modding community who will support it even after the developers stop. It lacks an SD card but comes with 64GB of storage as standard.

The S4 reverting to 2G at random sounds like it's faulty, I wouldn't base your phone choice solely on avoiding this issue on a new phone that should theoretically be working perfectly out of the box. However if that is really that important to you, I would expect this would be an option buried in Android's basic firmware now, rather than some obscure feature LG chose to bury in there themselves.
S7 Edge.

Did have to return it a few times. And had this bug which had a program called Mediaserver using more battery than my 5.5 inch screen! But a factory reset sorted that out.

Can't fault this phone to be fair otherwise.

I'd recommend One+3 if someone wants a solid budget ish phone

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending