The Student Room Group

Struggling to link my A-level subjects to Sociology in my personal statement?

I'm trying to write my personal statement for Sociology BSc and I'm finding it so hard to link my A-level subjects to the course (Psychology, Maths and Biology)

Help lol
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by trusstmedaddy
I'm trying to write my personal statement for Sociology BSc and I'm finding it so hard to link my A-level subjects to the course (Psychology, Maths and Biology)

Help lol

You really don't need to link the subjects. If it's obvious then you'll end up saying things the admissions tutor already knows - or worse, you'll say something like "maths gives me maths skills" (which is an actual example I've read) - or you'll end up making silly claims that are so far fetched.

Unis don't need to know why your A Level subjects are linked. They already know the main points. You need to tell them things they don't know - which is why you actually want to study this degree.
Reply 2
Yeah you don't need to necessarily link them just say what skills etc. you've developed by taking those subjects. (Though I'm still happy I managed to link chemistry to pure maths haha)
Reply 3
What they said above is true, it's not very necessary to link your subjects in your personal statement. If you do, do not include more than two sentences about it. But psychology and biology both go hand in hand with explaining the scientific/biological reasons to explain human behaviour and you can say how that counteracts sociology and you prefer to look at the sociological factors. But you other subjects can allow you to have a better understanding and insight in the other argument for why people think and behave the way they do. You don't always have to have similarities between them, but explain the differences and how they help. As for maths, you can say how it helped you be a more logical thinker and that you were committed (if carried on to a level) and that will show that you will be able to endure three years of university. Or not link maths at all as it isn't really essential to your personal statement
Original post by Juno
You really don't need to link the subjects. If it's obvious then you'll end up saying things the admissions tutor already knows - or worse, you'll say something like "maths gives me maths skills" (which is an actual example I've read) - or you'll end up making silly claims that are so far fetched.

Unis don't need to know why your A Level subjects are linked. They already know the main points. You need to tell them things they don't know - which is why you actually want to study this degree.

Thank you
Original post by lalaa64
What they said above is true, it's not very necessary to link your subjects in your personal statement. If you do, do not include more than two sentences about it. But psychology and biology both go hand in hand with explaining the scientific/biological reasons to explain human behaviour and you can say how that counteracts sociology and you prefer to look at the sociological factors. But you other subjects can allow you to have a better understanding and insight in the other argument for why people think and behave the way they do. You don't always have to have similarities between them, but explain the differences and how they help. As for maths, you can say how it helped you be a more logical thinker and that you were committed (if carried on to a level) and that will show that you will be able to endure three years of university. Or not link maths at all as it isn't really essential to your personal statement

thank you v v much
Reply 6
thank you v v much

You're welcome :smile: if you want, I can try read your personal statement and help? Might not be of much use but offer is there
Original post by lalaa64
You're welcome :smile: if you want, I can try read your personal statement and help? Might not be of much use but offer is there

I'm struggling to even make a good start yet :frown:
Reply 8

Aaww omgg. Well lemme tell you this, I am applying to oxford, and my application has to be sent off by Wednesday and I only wrote my personal statement (first draft of course) yesterday at 3am. But when I gave it to my teacher who went to Oxford, he said it was the best first draft he'd ever seen. You literally just need to start writing and it will flow. Don't worry about parts being too in depth or unnecessary, it can all be altered later so just write and you have plenty of time to fix it :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by lalaa64

TSR has a personal statement review service, which is safe - TSR has verified all Helpers and there is no chance of your PS being flagged for plagiarism.

Anything else is unsafe. You do not know what the recipient will do with your PS and if they copy you will be flagged for plagiarism, which will put your PS at risk. You also don't know their qualifications, or why they think they will be helpful. Most people have no idea what to put in a good personal statement.

Lalaa64 has admitted in other posts that she is an applicant. She is therefore the worst person to send your PS to, unless you want your application void.
Original post by Juno
TSR has a personal statement review service, which is safe - TSR has verified all Helpers and there is no chance of your PS being flagged for plagiarism.

Anything else is unsafe. You do not know what the recipient will do with your PS and if they copy you will be flagged for plagiarism, which will put your PS at risk. You also don't know their qualifications, or why they think they will be helpful. Most people have no idea what to put in a good personal statement.

Lalaa64 has admitted in other posts that she is an applicant. She is therefore the worst person to send your PS to, unless you want your application void.

Sorry I did not mean to seem like a threat or a person who would do that. I genuinely had no sinister intentions. I will withdraw my offer.
You don't need to link A level subjects to your degree subject.

This is a myth that teachers come up with - heaven knows why.

Just explain WHY you want to spend 3 years studying Sociology. What else do you do in your life that shows your interest in 'society' etc - volunteer work, involvement in politics/social issues.

Do not spend hours trying to work out why Biology and Maths are like Sociology - they aren't!

Useful stuff about applying for Sociology here : http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Sociology_Degree

Bullet points.

Start with simple questions like : 'Why do I want to do this subject', 'What have I done inside and outside school that shows my interest' and write yourself short bullet points as initial answers. Then fill those out a bit. Then make these 'bits' into paragraphs.

You will do lots of tweaking and probably some total rewrites as you go but this is certainly a good place to start.

Help lol

I'm currently doing A-level sociology and have already completed GCSE sociology. Currently doing a pretty big topic on health, so you could link that to biology, as there is a focus on health and inequality in sociology. There are a lot of links between biology, psychology and sociology. I remember last year a focus on how sociology studies people differently to in psychology and biology. Psychology focusses on the individual, sociology focusses on how individuals behave in society, so by gaining the knowledge of why individuals behave in certain ways, it will help you better understand why individuals behave a certain way in a society.
Original post by epage
I'm currently doing A-level sociology and have already completed GCSE sociology. Currently doing a pretty big topic on health, so you could link that to biology, as there is a focus on health and inequality in sociology. There are a lot of links between biology, psychology and sociology. I remember last year a focus on how sociology studies people differently to in psychology and biology. Psychology focusses on the individual, sociology focusses on how individuals behave in society, so by gaining the knowledge of why individuals behave in certain ways, it will help you better understand why individuals behave a certain way in a society.

thank u so much

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending