The Student Room Group

Student fees

Hi can anyone help. I have just started uni but may have to leave at Christmas with around £3000 fees. I then plan to start a new 3 year course next year at the same uni with a new 3 years worth of student loan for fees and living allowance. Do you know if the £3000 fees I have for this year can be added to my student loan in addition to the 3 years worth of fees I will get from next year onwards? Many thanks
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Jack Philip
Hi can anyone help. I have just started uni but may have to leave at Christmas with around £3000 fees. I then plan to start a new 3 year course next year at the same uni with a new 3 years worth of student loan for fees and living allowance. Do you know if the £3000 fees I have for this year can be added to my student loan in addition to the 3 years worth of fees I will get from next year onwards? Many thanks

When you say can be added what do you mean? If you leave you will owe that amount of fees and will pay that back after graduation but they may require you to pay back maintenance loan after you leave, unless you left right before the next loan payment.
Reply 2
Original post by claireestelle
When you say can be added what do you mean? If you leave you will owe that amount of fees and will pay that back after graduation but they may require you to pay back maintenance loan after you leave, unless you left right before the next loan payment.

Thanks for your reply, what I mean is will I be able to pay it back in the same system when you pay 10% per month over and above £26,000 or what ever the figure is, or would I have to pay it back differently as it will be over and above the 3 years course fees and maintenance loan I will receive next year for my new course
Thanks for your reply, what I mean is will I be able to pay it back in the same system when you pay 10% per month over and above £26,000 or what ever the figure is, or would I have to pay it back differently as it will be over and above the 3 years course fees and maintenance loan I will receive next year for my new course

It will be after graduation and it's 21k currently.
Reply 4

It depends on a few factors.

Tuition Fee Loan: You will owe a proportion of your Tuition Fee Loan for the year, which increases the further through the academic year you leave. If you leave before the end of the academic year, you will be expected to repay any amount paid up to that point, immediately. However you can usually negotiate a repayment plan. As I understand it, you will owe the uni this money; Student Finance claws back the Tuition Fee Loan instalment(s) paid, from the uni.

Maintenance Loan: You are only entitled to this whilst you are a student. You will be expected to immediately repay to SF, any amount which was intended to cover you after your leaving date and before the next payment (again, you should be able to negotiate a repayment plan). Any sum which covers you from the term start date until your leaving date, would be repayable under the standard repayment scheme i.e. as deductions from your wages once you earn more than £21,000.

For example, if your term start date was 15th Sept, you leave on 1st Nov and your next instalment is due on 7th Jan:

Amount intended to cover you 15th Sep - 1st Nov: Repaid from wages over £21,000
Amount intended to cover you 2nd Nov - 6th Jan: Repayable in full immediately

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending