The Student Room Group

Telling my parents about my first boyfriend

Ok so I've been seeing this guy for a couple of months now and I really really like him. I feel like it's time to tell my parents but I have no idea where to start.

I'm 18 and have never really had much to do with guys until now. My parents aren't strict at all, but they are really awkward about certain things. In the past my mom has tried to talk to me about boys and sex and things and it was horribly awkward for both of us. She really isn't comfortable talking about anything sex related, and usually even walks out of the room when something sex-related is being discussed on TV.

I was just looking for some advice on how to go about telling my parents. I'm at uni so I only come home every few weeks, which doesn't give me much of a chance to tell them. I feel like if I could start the conversation it would be ok, but I don't know how to bring it up. Could anyone suggest a way to introduce the topic or something I could say to start off with?
Reply 1
I wouldn't tell them yet, just because it's only been few months. Perhaps, wait till it's a year?
Reply 2
Original post by Ishax
I wouldn't tell them yet, just because it's only been few months. Perhaps, wait till it's a year?

See I would wait but whenever i'm home and I go somewhere with him I have to lie about who i'm with and I really hate all of the lying. I just want to tell the truth
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
See I would wait but whenever i'm home and I go somewhere with him I have to lie about who i'm with and I really hate all of the lying. I just want to tell the truth

That must be hard, how long has it been so far? Just think it's only a few more months
Original post by Anonymous
Ok so I've been seeing this guy for a couple of months now and I really really like him. I feel like it's time to tell my parents but I have no idea where to start.

I'm 18 and have never really had much to do with guys until now. My parents aren't strict at all, but they are really awkward about certain things. In the past my mom has tried to talk to me about boys and sex and things and it was horribly awkward for both of us. She really isn't comfortable talking about anything sex related, and usually even walks out of the room when something sex-related is being discussed on TV.

I was just looking for some advice on how to go about telling my parents. I'm at uni so I only come home every few weeks, which doesn't give me much of a chance to tell them. I feel like if I could start the conversation it would be ok, but I don't know how to bring it up. Could anyone suggest a way to introduce the topic or something I could say to start off with?

Is this guy significantly gifted in the downstairs department preferably in the underwear section ?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending