The Student Room Group
Yes. It's much harder than IT. It is not essential to be good at maths.
Reply 2
Original post by Kvothe the Arcane
Yes. It's much harder than IT. It is not essential to be good at maths.

In what ways is it harder than ICT?
Original post by Pn2020
In what ways is it harder than ICT?

My Computer Science course consists a lot of maths and theoretical side of computers such as algorithms complexity, programming, networks and so on... Its theoretical. However, it is possible to do well if you put the effort in...
Reply 4
Computer science is all coding and controlled assesments, I was good at ICT and maths so i figured out that at computer science, so i thought i would be a pro but I'm struggling on the second controlled assessment worth 30% of the final grade
Reply 5
Original post by E_K_123
Computer science is all coding and controlled assesments, I was good at ICT and maths so i figured out that at computer science, so i thought i would be a pro but I'm struggling on the second controlled assessment worth 30% of the final grade

Which parts are you struggling at?
Reply 6
The coding
Reply 7
Do you guys think the job prospects are good for CS?
Original post by Pn2020
Do you guys think the job prospects are good for CS?

They are what you make of them as with any degree in the modern world

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by Pn2020
Hi, is computer science a hard degree? At school i was really good at ICT and in my a levels i did really well in it. I find that i enjoy ICT a lot and am looking at studying or thinking to study computer science. However I'm not sure if i should study it as I'm not that good at maths. Is computer science hard or complicated and if you're studying it or have studied it could you tell me what you think of it? Thanks

I'm not too bad at maths, I got a B at GCSE but I haven't touched it since. I'm in my first year of a computer science degree. My uni offers maths support and I assume many others do too.
"Hard" is a tricky word to use. My first workshop this week was based in Scratch so that when we begin actual programming, everyone has an understanding of what it's like. They anticipate you not knowing much. I'd say look at what is offered in a computer science course, and determine if you'd be interested in learning more about it. Things tend to only seem hard or complicated if you don't have much experience in the area - they anticipate this and ensure you'll keep up.
It is hard, but doable, just make sure you keep up with revision and keep on top of things. I studied modules such as,

Computer Systems
Programming
Computer architecture
Cryptography
Computer Vision
Parallel algorithms
etc

So yeah the concepts you learn can be hard and confusing compared to I.T, but defo no impossible. The maths is all explained and with practice you'll be fine/
Original post by Pn2020
Hi, is computer science a hard degree? At school i was really good at ICT and in my a levels i did really well in it. I find that i enjoy ICT a lot and am looking at studying or thinking to study computer science. However I'm not sure if i should study it as I'm not that good at maths. Is computer science hard or complicated and if you're studying it or have studied it could you tell me what you think of it? Thanks

Lol I couldn't even cope with GCSE computer science...:redface: I'm sure you'll be fine!x:smile:
Original post by Pn2020

I am in exactly the same boat as you. Just finished A levels, got a good grade in ICT and haven't done maths since GCSE. Nonetheless I started studying computer science a few weeks ago. It is difficult but doable as many others have said. The subject requires logical thinking and a good mindset for programming. It is a rewarding subject which I am finding very interesting. Especially about how the computer works at a transistor level.

Good luck with your choice.
Computer science is EASY.
Reply 14
Probably the hardest degree out there besides History.
Reply 15
Original post by ReviewTag
I am in exactly the same boat as you. Just finished A levels, got a good grade in ICT and haven't done maths since GCSE. Nonetheless I started studying computer science a few weeks ago. It is difficult but doable as many others have said. The subject requires logical thinking and a good mindset for programming. It is a rewarding subject which I am finding very interesting. Especially about how the computer works at a transistor level.

Good luck with your choice.

Thanks. Do you know what you want to do after your degree?
I’m

Original post by kr7650

Hey, I’m in the same exact situation you were in right now and was wondering how it went? And what did you end up doing

Latest

Trending

Trending