The Student Room Group

VR - a fad or the future?

VR is getting more and more attention, but will it last? I don't think so. I think it'll get revived every few years when someone claims to have done it the right way, and it'll just die down again. What are your thoughts?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by chelseadagg3r
VR is getting more and more attention, but will it last? I don't think so. I think it'll get revived every few years when someone claims to have done it the right way, and it'll just die down again. What are your thoughts?

I agree, I think it's a gimmick. Look at what happened with the Wii, the only reason it sold so well is because non gamers thought it was very innovative, played wii sports probably once and then put it down again, the same will probably happen with VR. I have no prediction of how useful it will be outside of gaming though. It seems like peripherals that you have to wear don't do very well, because most people just want to play with a controller or mouse and keyboard.
Original post by NotNotBatman
I agree, I think it's a gimmick. Look at what happened with the Wii, the only reason it sold so well is because non gamers thought it was very innovative, played wii sports probably once and then put it down again, the same will probably happen with VR. I have no prediction of how useful it will be outside of gaming though. It seems like peripherals that you have to wear don't do very well, because most people just want to play with a controller or mouse and keyboard.

Totally agree. I think VR might well take off somewhere, but not in gaming. I think no matter how much they try and throw at people, they'll still prefer a controller/keyboard and mouse and end up coming back to it at the end of the day
The big thing VR needs to overcome is the relatively high entry price. A VR ready PC system (by which I mean a computer that can play games on the prominent, high res VR headsets at solid setitngs/frame rates) will cost about £600 before you even get an Occulus Rift (£550) or HTC Vive (£759). Playstation VR is substantially cheaper (£250ish for a PS4, £350 for Playstation VR), but is obviously built on significantly weaker hardware both in terms of the headset and the console. If they can bring the costs down or find a way to make high quality VR gaming more accessible to the masses then it has a very real chance of catching on as it can have very real benefits to a gaming experience, but until it's going be perceived as a rich person's toy.
If they make VR fully compatible with the games I like then I'll happily invest in it. Unfortunately, the price of the Oculus Rift & Vive are both far too high at the moment when you take into account the limited amount of games available.
I do think this generation of VR has the ability to take off but it all depends how many game designers use the technology. If flight sim games & mainstream games like GTA V get promising VR add-ons then count me in.
Currently way too expensive, also a lot of people I know, myself included, can't handle it, makes me dizzy AF just being on it for a few minutes.
Reply 6
It might stick around, but it's always going to be a niche part of gaming I think. Much like 3DTV, some will be willing to invest in it, but it's unlikely to go completely mainstream.
Reply 7
VR technology is being pushed way too soon commercially - the price points alone should be evidence enough, ranging from £400-£800. Not only that, but they often demand unreasonable things from both the dev and the consumer:

Demands of consumer
- A spacious area to be able to turn and move
- The physical ability (sorry Dr. Hawking)
- Not being irritated by needing breaks every 20 minutes
- Paying the ludicrous asking price

Demands of developers
- Getting around the design problems of movement when the player only hasn't a small physical space
- Incorporating VR in a way that improves the experience over traditional play (Only seen hover junkers accomplish this)
- Making a decent game while still being profitable with such a small audience
- Coding for all three headsets OR signing a deal of exclusivity with one that makes the exclusivity issues in consoles pale in comparison to the cluster**** of VR content across the platforms.
Is 600 for a gaming pc expensive? :tongue: You probably need that amount to play E32016 games anyway.
Original post by Juichiro
Is 600 for a gaming pc expensive? :tongue: You probably need that amount to play E32016 games anyway.

£600 for a gaming PC isn't but £1150-£1350 for a gaming PC and Occulus/Vive is.

Mass adoption is a key factor when it comes to the survival of new technologies like this- it's one motivates manufacturers and developers into continuing with meaningful long term support and in turn keeps consumers interested and engaged.
Original post by Juichiro

To be honest, £600 really is the higher end of mainstream, and will play E32016 with ease, remember that most games are still held back for consoles with few devs actually pushing PC hardware at 1080p, unless of course their Ubisoft with awful optimisation. £600 should get you the recommended hardware for nearly every game, including the brand new ones.
VR needs more funding for it to be successful in the mainstream, and it also needs to come down in price.

The games at the moment, from what I've seen, are largely basic dungeon crawlers, but imagine what could happen if it had a decent injection of money into it.
Original post by Drunk Punx
VR needs more funding for it to be successful in the mainstream, and it also needs to come down in price.

The games at the moment, from what I've seen, are largely basic dungeon crawlers, but imagine what could happen if it had a decent injection of money into it.

The likes of EVE Valkyrie are dungeon crawlers?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I've used one. Very fun experience, too expensive at the moment but that's to be expected. When sufficient hardware becomes cheaper then I think there'll be a place for it to develop. VR has tonnes of uses outside of gaming as well, it's exciting.
What is that? Google isn't telling me.
Not too impressive. However, it is a step up in terms of being closer to reality and not using a controller.
Original post by Elastichedgehog
I've used one. Very fun experience, too expensive at the moment but that's to be expected. When sufficient hardware becomes cheaper then I think there'll be a place for it to develop. VR has tonnes of uses outside of gaming as well, it's exciting.

I don't think it will take long to get cheaper, the hardware to run it well is already pretty cheap, and u think the next generation will be out in 18-24 months. The bomb cost will be much lower and there will have Benn less R&D needed cutting the overheads. Further you might get the backers willing to take much lower margins to increase adoption.

My main fear is that playstation VR will sink it, although on the flip side with phones getting more powerful the cheap phone based systems like Google Cardboard and Gear VR could boost things.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jammy Duel
I don't think it will take long to get cheaper, the hardware to run it well is already pretty cheap, and u think the next generation will be out in 18-24 months. The bomb cost will be much lower and there will have Benn less R&D needed cutting the overheads. Further you might get the backers willing to take much lower margins to increase adoption.

My main fear is that playstation VR will sink it, although on the flip side with phones getting more powerful the cheap phone based systems like Google Cardboard and Gear VR could boost things.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Google Cardboard is also pretty neat, I've tried that too.
And of course it is fully booked, I want to try it to see if I should believe the hype, I would have gone if I knew earlier. I still believe VR will be unsuccessful and will lack support in the future, I hope not, I want it to succeed, but I don't see if going far.
Pilots have used simulators for decades and theme parks are incredibly easy because all it's all pre rendered as a 360 video

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest