The Student Room Group

Nursing, no money, no friends.

Where do I begin. 😞 Started my nursing course beginning of the year and honestly having the worst time. I don't mind lectures and the theory side but practice is horrible. Literally makes me depressed. Hate every second, I get parred off with the shite jobs, the nurses do not bother with students and tbh I'm just not enjoying it. The thing is I don't wanna leave as it's only my third semester and things might get better but I doubt it, i applied because everyone else did and have never really had the drive and push to do it. Along with not enjoying the course I feel as though I'm not even at uni. I have NO friends and trust me I tried and tried to make them but everyone already knew each other and I just tagged along 😞😴! Also the friends I do have are not at uni and all work, they go on holiday, go for meals, go on nights out. I HAVE NO MONEY. I get £150 a month off the bursary which is not even enough to eat on. It's just depressing I am really in two minds on what to do. If I leave I have nothing to fall back on. If I stay I'm gonna be depressed and broke for 3 years. Please help! Has anyone else been in this situation.
Oh and I did have a part time job but working 40 hours a week on placement and having a job is near enough impossible 😞
Original post by Cherylx
Where do I begin. 😞 Started my nursing course beginning of the year and honestly having the worst time. I don't mind lectures and the theory side but practice is horrible. Literally makes me depressed. Hate every second, I get parred off with the shite jobs, the nurses do not bother with students and tbh I'm just not enjoying it. The thing is I don't wanna leave as it's only my third semester and things might get better but I doubt it, i applied because everyone else did and have never really had the drive and push to do it. Along with not enjoying the course I feel as though I'm not even at uni. I have NO friends and trust me I tried and tried to make them but everyone already knew each other and I just tagged along 😞😴! Also the friends I do have are not at uni and all work, they go on holiday, go for meals, go on nights out. I HAVE NO MONEY. I get £150 a month off the bursary which is not even enough to eat on. It's just depressing I am really in two minds on what to do. If I leave I have nothing to fall back on. If I stay I'm gonna be depressed and broke for 3 years. Please help! Has anyone else been in this situation.
Oh and I did have a part time job but working 40 hours a week on placement and having a job is near enough impossible 😞

I think the most important question to ask, is, do you want to be a nurse?
If you do, stick at it. Just a look through threads on here will show you're not alone in feeling like that. There are support networks out there and you should speak to your personal tutor at uni and also tell them of your issues you've had on placement etc.
The first year is always hard as you're learning hca skills and interpersonal skills.
In year 2 and 3 is where you really develop your nursing skills and put what you learn in theory into practice.
Unfortunately, bursaries are often not enough. Many people take on bank hca work or flexible hours in a call centre or something where you can say when you're available to work (0 hour contract).

However, if you don't want to be a nurse. Simply don't do it. This will show in your approach to your work and how to relate with your patients etc and nobody wants to be treated by a nurse who doesn't want to be there. It's only 3 years and it does fly in but it's not worth doing if you don't want to and don't enjoy it.
Don't do things because others do. Do it for yourself.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending