The Student Room Group

URGENT HELP NEEDED!!!!!!! A-level Chemistry

Can someone please help me answer the following question:

Describe and account for the trends shown in 1st Ionisation Energies from elements H to Ca. (8 marks)
What do you think so far?
Original post by DebbieRose

Describe and account for the trends shown in 1st Ionisation Energies from elements H to Ca. (8 marks)

I think u have to write like if the I.E increases or decreases down the group and then state the reason why then describe if the I.E increases or decreases across a period and give the reason fr it and also u can use the example from above to explain it more!! :smile:
Can't really be bothered to write out a full answer (sorry!) but think about:

a. The number of protons in the nucleus providing a 'positive pull' on the electrons.
b. The number of electron shells/orbitals and the effect of shielding meaning that electons are much easier to lose (Group 1/2) if there are other electron shells getting in the way of the positive charge electrostatic pull.
c. Why noble gases have the highest ionisation energies (full shells).
d. How the ionisation energies go up in groups of three (Boron, Carbon, Nitrogen THEN Oxygen, Flourine and Neon).
8 marks!? :colonhash:
If you're really stuck then Message me and I'll help you out.

Think about the pattern. Going from H to Ca the ionisation increases/decreases due to ? I haven't done chemistry in a year so I assume it's to do with electrons being closer/further away from the nucleus. What effect would this have and why ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Also think about the exceptions to the general trend across a period
Use SaNDe
Shielding increses- F.I.E (first ionisation energy) decreases
Nuclear charge increases- F.I.E increases
Distance increases- F.I.E decreases vice versa
Attraction between outermost electron and nucleus increases/decreases, so F.I.E increases/decreases
That's what we used in my sixth form. It was pretty effective tbh
Reply 8
Thank you everyone for your help, but I'm still a bit confused. Would anyone mind going into a little more detail.

I've answered the questions but I don't fully understand what I've written.
Thank you everyone for your help, but I'm still a bit confused. Would anyone mind going into a little more detail.

I've answered the questions but I don't fully understand what I've written.

Have a look at this...

Screen Shot 2016-10-18 at 22.03.50.png

Hope it helps!

Quick Reply

Latest