The Student Room Group

core 1 maths help?

I need to find the co-ordinate of the stationary point of the curve y=x^2-4x+5.
so to find the x co-ordinates do i factorise or complete the square? i tried factorisng the equation but it doesnt work?
Original post by Chelsea12345
I need to find the co-ordinate of the stationary point of the curve y=x^2-4x+5.
so to find the x co-ordinates do i factorise or complete the square? i tried factorisng the equation but it doesnt work?

Well you can't always factorise. With quadratics and their stationary points you have 2 options:

1) Complete the square to find the x-coordinate and then by inspection (or substitution) find the y-coordinate

2) Differentiate the function and set the differential equal to 0 and solve it. Setting it to 0 will ensure that the rate of change is 0 as to be expected at a stationary point.
Original post by RDKGames
Well you can't always factorise. With quadratics and their stationary points you have 2 options:

1) Complete the square to find the x-coordinate and then by inspection (or substitution) find the y-coordinate

2) Differentiate the function and set the differential equal to 0 and solve it. Setting it to 0 will ensure that the rate of change is 0 as to be expected at a stationary point.

if you complete the square you only get one x-cordinate,dont you need 2 of them??
if you complete the square you only get one x-cordinate,dont you need 2 of them??

Yeah, you get the same through differentiation. You find the x-coordinate first and then plug it back through the quadratic to see what the y-coordinate is.

Hi, as this is a quadratic, your only stationary point is your vertex. Complete the square to find this.
Original post by RDKGames
Yeah, you get the same through differentiation. You find the x-coordinate first and then plug it back through the quadratic to see what the y-coordinate is.

EDIT: Never mind, I was being an idiot LOLOL
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by TiernanW
When you complete the square isn't it just the equation re-wrote in another form? So aren't you then finding the points where it crosses the x-axis or am I being an idiot?

Completing the square is indeed a different form to write a quadratic, and no it does not necessarily mean you are finding the roots of the equation.

If I put some arbitrary quadratic in the form of (xa)2+b(x-a)^2+b then I can see how much the parabola x2x^2 has been shifted along the x-axis (in this case it has been shifted by vector [a,0] as far as the horizontal transformation is concerned). Since the x-coordinate of the stationary point of x2x^2 is at 0, the shift will be the same for it to get the stationary point of (xa)2+b(x-a)^2+b.

If you want to find the roots, you would have to solve (xa)2+b=0(x-a)^2+b=0
Original post by slowdive
Hi, as this is a quadratic, your only stationary point is your vertex. Complete the square to find this.

okay thankyou!!

Quick Reply

Latest