The Student Room Group

Medicine A100 Leeds 2017 entry

Scroll to see replies

I dont understand the scoring system for leeds as I couldnt find how it works in their website. Ive applied with 9A*s 4As at GCSE and 3A 1B (the B I dropped) at AS. So what score would I have and is it good enough for interview assuming a get a fairly good BMAT score??
Reply 61
Original post by Exaclebur
I dont understand the scoring system for leeds as I couldnt find how it works in their website. Ive applied with 9A*s 4As at GCSE and 3A 1B (the B I dropped) at AS. So what score would I have and is it good enough for interview assuming a get a fairly good BMAT score??
You have a very good chance if that you did well in BMAT. I think you would have a full academic scores 27/27
Id say you get full academic score with the GCSE x 9 A*'s

You have to just get a minimum score in the BMAT to progress to next stage
Original post by Earth1
You have a very good chance if that you did well in BMAT. I think you would have a full academic scores 27/27

Oh okey thanks :smile:
How high do leeds rank section 3 of BMAT???
Original post by GradeA*UnderA
Unlikely. Considering the fact that around 40% of applicants apply with full academic score, they're going to need more than an average BMAT score to compensate. To overturn that deficit of 3 points, a top band BMAT score is ideal. To get 5 points for the BMAT, you would've needed a combined score of 14.7 last year, IIRC. So something like 5.6 5.6 3.5A.

The reason I said that was because I feel less people this year are going to achieve a full academic score due to some schools not taking AS levels,but i could be wrong!. Last year it was 50% had a full score wtf!!!!!!
Btw The way leeds calculate BMAT score is section 1 score + section 2 score + essay score divided by 2.
So for example 3A in the essay would score 4 points. (3+5)/2=4
Hello can someone please help me??
I'm trying to practise for the BMAT but it just feels so awkward. I feel really confident in sections 1 and 2 however when it comes to section 3, i feel as if i wont even achieve a score of 2. I would really appreciate if someone can please look at my essay and give me some feedback, no matter how harsh it is. I would be more than grateful with any feedback.

Thank you very much in advance.

Good surgeons should be encouraged to take on tough cases, not just safe, routine ones. publishing an individual surgeon's mortality rates may have the opposite effect.

Explain what this statement means. Argue to the contrary. To what extent do you think league tables should change a surgeon's behaviour?

The above statement implies that releasing a surgeons mortality rate may discourage many surgeons to take on difficult cases as they may either; not feel confident enough, or may wish to improve their mortality rate. An experienced surgeon who performs very difficult surgeries may have a lower mortality rate than a surgeon who performs very routine and easy surgeries. This can cause distrust in the experienced surgeon who may be better qualified than the surgeon performing the easier surgeries.

Whilst this may initially seem to be a rather thoughtful statement, it has many fundamental flaws. For instance, this statement only considers surgeons who are good but may have a low mortality rate due to performing more difficult surgeries. It does not consider that some surgeons may just not be good enough. Publishing mortality rates allows hospitals to reassess many surgeons with alarming mortality rates. Surgeons should only be permitted to perform life threatening surgeries if they are extremely good. Therefore having quantitative data to compare surgeons can be monumentally significant. Furthermore allowing mortality rates to be published allows for many surgeons to be recognised. This can increase morale and allow surgeons to feel more confident to take on the difficult surgeries.

In addition, I believe league tables based on mortality rate can attract and entice friendly competition within the field. It can cause surgeons to feel a need to be extra focused on their job at all times. Incentives, which can come in the form of financial or recognition, can further increase morale and encourage competition. Nevertheless, it can also cause disruption within the field and can cause team work to deteriorate. Moreover mortality rates may disadvantage better surgeons performing more difficult surgeries.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hello

Received a confirmation email from Leeds that they have received my application

Hopefully others have also received this email.

The important info in the email about interview dates is.....

"Interviews will take place in two batches between January 16th and 20th, and January 31st to February 3rd. Applicants will be e-mailed with instructions at least 2 weeks in advance. We will try to give more notice to students applying from overseas."

Posted from TSR Mobile
I have 3 As at A2 if I get a BMAT score of average 4.8, 4.8 and 3.5 do you think I could still get an interview?
the big BMAT tomorrow, its dawning on me that i may not even get 4s, good luck everybody for tomorrow
Original post by Jesslouise1996
I have 3 As at A2 if I get a BMAT score of average 4.8, 4.8 and 3.5 do you think I could still get an interview?

Yes depending on your GCSE/AS score.
Original post by Mathsmad123
Yes depending on your GCSE/AS score.

I got 5A* and 5A at GCSE and 4As at AS
I got 5A* and 5A at GCSE and 4As at AS

You have full points :smile: Last year my mate with full points got an interview with scores like 3.8, 4, 2.5A!!!!
You will get an interview if you get around 4.5 4.5 3 and have a good PS for sure!
You have full points :smile: Last year my mate with full points got an interview with scores like 3.8, 4, 2.5A!!!!
You will get an interview if you get around 4.5 4.5 3 and have a good PS for sure!

Thank you 😊 I'm just hoping it all goes okay tomorrow

Im glad to hear that your friend got a interview with those BMAT scores, was he a rare exception or were there many in his shoes, do you know?
Original post by Window16
Im glad to hear that your friend got a interview with those BMAT scores, was he a rare exception or were there many in his shoes, do you know?

Mate, i got 4.2, 3.8 and 3A and got an interview.
BMAT score is only worth 5 points out of 40. So providing you have a full academic score, BMAT was not important for last year.
Who knows it could be different for this year...
Thank you 😊 I'm just hoping it all goes okay tomorrow

Im praying nothing on circuits or electromagnetic induction comes up!!!!
Reply 77
Im praying nothing on circuits or electromagnetic induction comes up!!!!

Haha I'm exactly the same as you :/
Original post by optimus9000
how is the academic score calculated, ie how many points for an A* at GCSE or an A at AS.
Also which score will they use out of my GCSE and AS.
i got AABB at AS
5A* 5A at GCSEo

thanks

27/40 marks are given either to AS or GCSE grades...which ever one you did better in that's the one they'll score so
3A at AS = 27 points. OR
9A*=27points
ie your GCSEs = about 23/27 for 5 A*

And then they score your predicted grades which have to be at least 3A

About 50% of application is your personal statement it'll be scored out of 8 by 2 admission tutors
The PS score out of 8 is that part of the total 40 points?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending