The Student Room Group
Reply 1
In my history interviews only the interview based on written work (obviously) was based on anything i'd learnt in my A Level studies, the rest were based on either the material they provided before the exam, material presented to me in the interview, a theoretical question or on other areas that i'd read outside of my A Levels.
Reply 2
valeryblack
the interview questons are based on the topics covered in AS,right?
i'm applying for econ btw

Maybe...

For eco they'd prob probe your maths a bit further than AS i'd imagine and look at how well you can argue. They can ask you anything and may well ask something you could never have known and see how far you get with it. After all everyone will have pretty good AS grades so they need to see who's capable of that bit more.
Reply 3

i meant,do they ask definitios from theory covered in A2?
thanks for the answers:smile:
For Natural Sciences, I got a form before the interview asking the topics I had covered, so I think they tend to ask questions on the topics you put down.
Reply 5
If you apply to Queens for Econ.. MAKE SURE YOU REVISE YOUR MATHS :biggrin: Think they tend to start of with something simple to settle you down and then go further... They will know generally what you've done in AS from what you've put down in your CAF/supplementary question (can't remember which one) and won't expect you to KNOW further but may ask you to see how you think, as Thallium said.
Reply 6
ok,thanks.i'm applying to magdalene btw :smile: what kind of maths questions were u asked? :smile:
Reply 7
They really tested my graph drawing skills--got asked to draw at least 4 graphs--none of them beyond c2/c3 level. (I know C3 is not AS but I did further maths and had covered the maths a level already, so if you haven't they prob won't expect you to know it) They also asked me some statistical questions based on S1, esp normal distribution, spending some time looking at the ND curve. I'd say they prob spent over 1/2 of the interview testing my maths skills. However, apart from those who applied to Queens, don't know anyone else who got asked maths questions. It's prob a good idea to go through some basic pure maths and statistics before the interview anyway though..
Reply 8
one of my friends had lots of maths questions at Jesus for medicine. I think they just generally like to see how you think, and use whatever you've done at A Level as the stimulus sometimes.
Reply 9
ok,thanks a lot.
Reply 10
In my interview (though it wasn't for economics) they started out with AS level questions which gradually seemed to build up to much harder ones where I wasn't expected to know the answers, but I tried to suggest a vaguely sensible answer and they gave hints until I got it. I wouldn't worry about trying to learn any A2 content as they'll know you haven't covered it yet :smile:
Reply 11
that is reassuring :biggrin:
Reply 12
Does anyone know where I can find a list of which topics/curriculum are covered in math for the AS/A2 levels? I take AP courses (I finished Calculus BC last year) and I would like to make sure that I have covered all the topics in their curriculum so that I am ready for anything that may come up during the interview.

Thanks
Apple321
Does anyone know where I can find a list of which topics/curriculum are covered in math for the AS/A2 levels? I take AP courses (I finished Calculus BC last year) and I would like to make sure that I have covered all the topics in their curriculum so that I am ready for anything that may come up during the interview.

Thanks

Here is a rough list.

http://www.mathsrevision.net/alevel/pure/
Reply 14
miltonkeynes

thanks
Reply 15
In a maths interview, would you be at a disadvantage if you have only done c1, c2 and a bit of c3? because i'm under the impression that alot of applicants already have a full a level in maths when they apply.
Reply 16
eponymous
In a maths interview, would you be at a disadvantage if you have only done c1, c2 and a bit of c3? because i'm under the impression that alot of applicants already have a full a level in maths when they apply.

By December, you should have pretty much all of your course finished, really. (And the stuff you won't have covered, you might want to read up on the months before the interview)

Doesn't hurt to try have as well-rounded maths knowledge as possible when going in.
Reply 17
gurk
By December, you should have pretty much all of your course finished, really. (And the stuff you won't have covered, you might want to read up on the months before the interview)

Doesn't hurt to try have as well-rounded maths knowledge as possible when going in.

you mean c1-c4?
Reply 18
gurk

i wont have C4, my college is teaching it after the january exams :eek:
i think i might just teach myself the whole alevel and the main further modules.

Latest

Trending

Trending