The Student Room Group

Roundabouts is holding me back, any advice please?

Hi there, i seem to have an issue with roundabouts, i am currently learning to drive and this is holding me back, can drive fine, it's just the bloody roundabouts that is holding me back.

I have booked another lesson with a different driving instructor next week as i feel my current one, isn't really pushing me, i can drive fine, had around 50 lessons now, which is 50 hours, and i just feel like he's trying to leech me off enough money as possible.

Any advice when it comes to turning right on roundabouts, going straight, etc, and i know this sounds stupid, but when you know when the best time it's safe to go, some drivers confuse me, indicate they are going that way but go the other way.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Look right when you're approaching the roundabout so that if no car is coming, proceed without stopping. If someone from straight ahead is coming and isn't indicating, then proceed since they will go straight ahead. if someone from your right is coming and not indicating, then stop since they will go straight ahead and have a right of way over you.

Keep on the inside line when you're on the roundabout, and starting swinging out when you reach the second exit. At that point, don't worry about other drivers since you have a right of way and they will wait for you to proceed.

Most important thing is to stay relaxed. It should be really easy. Only Americans should struggle with roundabouts.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2
Move to America.
Reply 3
Original post by Playa10
Look right when you're approaching the roundabout so that if no car is coming, proceed without stopping. If someone from straight ahead is coming and isn't indicating, then proceed since they will go straight ahead. if someone from your left is coming and not indicating, then stop since they will go straight ahead and have a right of way over you.

Keep on the inside line when you're on the roundabout, and starting swinging out when you reach the second exit. At that point, don't worry about other drivers since you have a right of way and they will wait for you to proceed.

Most important thing is to stay relaxed. It should be really easy. Only Americans should struggle with roundabouts.

Thanks for this, very useful advice, will make sure i remember it.
Reply 4
yeah the instructors will try their hardest to make as much money as possible. you have to push them to tell you sometimes otherwise they just sit there chatting sht about stuff which is not even important.

for the roundabout if your are heading straight you dont need to signal at all and you should be on the outside lane and when the paths clear just whizz forward. if you signal you will fail your test lol

if your taking the first left then outside lane and signal left.

third exit inside lane signal right and go around the roundabout make sure you dont go too close to the curb and then signal left when you see your exit and check your mirrors and move over when its safe. just signal in time especially if you have a hunch theres a car to your left. check your left mirror if its clear signal then. if you signal on time and you have an appropriate speed you should have no problem and other cars will know where you are trying to go.

and when you go around the roundabout lower your speed lol. i used to accelerate around. and if you think another driver has made a mistake ignore it and just slow down. you dont have to whizz around the roundabout lol.
Reply 5
Original post by TrueUnitedFan
Hi there, i seem to have an issue with roundabouts, i am currently learning to drive and this is holding me back, can drive fine, it's just the bloody roundabouts that is holding me back.

I have booked another lesson with a different driving instructor next week as i feel my current one, isn't really pushing me, i can drive fine, had around 50 lessons now, which is 50 hours, and i just feel like he's trying to leech me off enough money as possible.

Any advice when it comes to turning right on roundabouts, going straight, etc, and i know this sounds stupid, but when you know when the best time it's safe to go, some drivers confuse me, indicate they are going that way but go the other way.

i get trouble too with roundabouts!....ive only had 7 lessons now but i guess a really useful thing my driving instructor told me was look at the cars in the lanes of the exit to your right....if all three stop then you have like a 5 second window to exit....

does that make sense?
Reply 6
Original post by Playa10
If someone from straight ahead is coming and isn't indicating, then proceed since they will go straight ahead.

At that point, don't worry about other drivers since you have a right of way and they will wait for you to proceed.

Because every driver indiciates and abides by the laws of the road, right? :rolleyes:

Don't get me wrong, the advice is fine, but it's not the be all and end all of roundabouts. Basically, apply common sense to everything you do on the road. Just because someone is or isn't indicating doesn't mean their intentions are the same.

For example, if you're at a junction waiting to turn left and a car is coming from the right at a standard 30mph, indicating left (as if he would turn) but not slowing down in preparation for the junction - would you pull out? Or would you assume it's one of the many idiots on the road who is oblivious to their indicators being on for the last mile? :colonhash:

Drive as if everyone else is an idiot - that is the best piece of advice I was ever given.
America has no roundabouts? Well, you learn something new everyday :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by James'
Because every driver indiciates and abides by the laws of the road, right? :rolleyes:

Don't get me wrong, the advice is fine, but it's not the be all and end all of roundabouts. Basically, apply common sense to everything you do on the road. Just because someone is or isn't indicating doesn't mean their intentions are the same.

For example, if you're at a junction waiting to turn left and a car is coming from the right at a standard 30mph, indicating left (as if he would turn) but not slowing down in preparation for the junction - would you pull out? Or would you assume it's one of the many idiots on the road who is oblivious to their indicators being on for the last mile? :colonhash:

Drive as if everyone else is an idiot - that is the best piece of advice I was ever given.

Go easy with the emoticons son....especially with ":rolleyes:"
The advice is based on people conforming to the Highway Code. If someone fails to abide by it, it is their fault. Plus, people tend to give way to learner drivers anyway. The advice was to make it easier for him rather than complicate the matter.

Plus, if you read carefully, i did say at the end to 'relax'. Common sense would necessitate that such course of action would contemplate what you have suggested
Original post by James'

This is probably the best piece of advice I was ever given too.

I really struggled with roundabouts, and I mean REALLY. I was terrified of them and I always hesitated. Hesitation is what throws you.

While you're coming up to the roundabout, keep an eye on traffic coming from the right. (Also keep an eye on any cars in front of you at the roundabout, as I know of many people who have just carried on driving and then driven straight into a car who hadn't pulled out yet. :rolleyes:) If there's nothing there or if you feel it's safe, pull out. You can usually judge the other car's speed relative to your own, and that's what makes it easier. If it's not safe, slow down and pull up. Then keep an eye on traffic from the right, and again you can usually judge their speed as to whether you can pull out or not. Once you feel it's safe, go. :smile:

Pay attention to other drivers' indicators but don't rely on them. Some people really don't use them properly so it's best not to. If you pull out and they hit you, it could get messy.

I always slow down up to a roundabout, but still moving so that if there's no traffic or there is room, I am already moving so it won't be too difficult to get out in time. :h:

If you want to go straight, I was always taught to be in the left hand lane (unless otherwise stated by signs), keep an eye on traffic coming from the right. Once you're on the roundabout, keep to the left and follow the roundabout around, after you've passed any previous junctions but before the one you want to turn into, indicate left.

If you want to turn right, indicate right, keep in the right hand lane (again unless otherwise stated), and again keep an eye on traffic coming from the right. Once you're on the roundabout, keep in the right lane and follow the roundabout around, still indicating right. Once you have passed all the necessary junctions, but before the one you want to turn into, indicate left, and check your left mirror, then gradually turn into the lane.

At least I think that's how it goes. I haven't driven since Christmas so I can't really remember until I'm in the car, if that makes sense. :colondollar: I also passed two and a half years ago, so things might have changed. Also, if I tell you anything contrary to what your instructor says, do what they say - not me. :h:
(edited 12 years ago)
Me too.
Reply 11
Original post by Playa10
Go easy with the emoticons son....especially with ":rolleyes:"
The advice is based on people conforming to the Highway Code. If someone fails to abide by it, it is their fault. Plus, people tend to give way to learner drivers anyway. The advice was to make it easier for him rather than complicate the matter.

Plus, if you read carefully, i did say at the end to 'relax'. Common sense would necessitate that such course of action would contemplate what you have suggested

I'm aware, which is the reason why I said the advice you gave was fine. Yes, you simplified it, but if he wants to stay as safe as possible on the road, he should anticipate complicated situations.

My point was simply, don't rely on other people to do the correct things. Yes, it would be their fault, in accordance to the Highway Code. But if you pull out on a person who didn't indicate correctly, insurance will 99% of the time take it as a 50/50 case, and thus, someone elses failings can have a huge impact on you; even if you abided by the Highway Code.

Cheers for the heads up on the emoticons, I'll take it into consideration, Dad. :borat:
Reply 12
Original post by James'
I'm aware, which is the reason why I said the advice you gave was fine. Yes, you simplified it, but if he wants to stay as safe as possible on the road, he should anticipate complicated situations.

My point was simply, don't rely on other people to do the correct things. Yes, it would be their fault, in accordance to the Highway Code. But if you pull out on a person who didn't indicate correctly, insurance will 99% of the time take it as a 50/50 case, and thus, someone elses failings can have a huge impact on you; even if you abided by the Highway Code.

Cheers for the heads up on the emoticons, I'll take it into consideration, Dad. :borat:

Always carry a baseball bat with you :wink:
Reply 13
1) Driving pissed round a roundabout (in your mates mum's car) is no fun, lol.

2) Driving around a roundabout with a car that cuts out from a dodgy clutch is no fun.

That is all...
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 14
Original post by Playa10
Look right when you're approaching the roundabout so that if no car is coming, proceed without stopping. If someone from straight ahead is coming and isn't indicating, then proceed since they will go straight ahead. if someone from your left is coming and not indicating, then stop since they will go straight ahead and have a right of way over you.

You mean right, right?
Reply 15
Original post by Lamps08
You mean right, right?

Yep...it's corrected now
Reply 16
Original post by soindie
Move to America.

Original post by gagaslilmonsteruk
America has no roundabouts? Well, you learn something new everyday :smile:

Yes they do. He's wrong.
Reply 17
Original post by tomrw
Yes they do. He's wrong.
They're very very rare. It's primarily four-way Stop signs.
lol at not being able to negotiate a roundabout after 50 hours
(edited 12 years ago)
I think roundabouts are pretty easy, if its pretty busy/big then you just need to think about the lanes and positioning of the cars coming around. Its quite hard to explain with just words but chances are if theyre on the inside then theyre coming round, if theyre on the outside theyll be turning; I found this important because hardly anyone indicates when leaving a roundabout but you just have to think about it logically.
I used to get quite annoyed at busy two lane roundabouts because thered always be something in either lane and without them indicating you dont know where theyre going or what theyre doing but thats just what people are like, anticipate what theyre going to do but dont go until youre sure.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending