The Student Room Group
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

Anyone applying for 2015 @ Lancaster?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by trias1995
From what i understand of a collegiate system its simply to provide a home within the uni. If you think about it in harry potter, the houses dont do anything, they all study together however then outside of study, they can compete in inter-college activities, competitive sports etc. I dont believe they actually bring many perks although you should choose the type of accomodation you want first as that narrows down choice of college. From there you can take a look at each college's bar / social space. I liked the look of griezedales bar, griezdale also had the townhouse and then ontop of that, they have Hog roasts at their events so that chose it for me!

The thing is I will be living at home so the accommodation part doesn't really apply to me. I was thinking more about the overall atmosphere in a college. For example: The County which I assume is really eco-friendly and as You mentioned, the Griezedale which has those Hog roasts. Do you know what are the "themes" or "typical things" for other colleges?
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
Original post by badoom123
The thing is I will be living at home so the accommodation part doesn't really apply to me. I was thinking more about the overall atmosphere in a college. For example: The County which I assume is really eco-friendly and as You mentioned, the Griezedale which has those Hog roasts. Do you know what are the "themes" or "typical things" for other colleges?

I haven't a clue about the others. Im going through the application myself now and im just looking at the social spaces. It honestly doesn't mean much. some colleges are smaller than others so you get a closer community kind of thing. I think that whatever college anyone ends up in they'll have the same opportunities and experiences as any other college, especially since anyone can use any college's bar/ social space, you're not segregated. If you have nothing else to pick it off then go for which one has the best logo ahah, im sure that at events, youll be sporting your colleges colours / logo so i guess that's as good a reason to pick a college as any ahah
Original post by trias1995
I haven't a clue about the others. Im going through the application myself now and im just looking at the social spaces. It honestly doesn't mean much. some colleges are smaller than others so you get a closer community kind of thing. I think that whatever college anyone ends up in they'll have the same opportunities and experiences as any other college, especially since anyone can use any college's bar/ social space, you're not segregated. If you have nothing else to pick it off then go for which one has the best logo ahah, im sure that at events, youll be sporting your colleges colours / logo so i guess that's as good a reason to pick a college as any ahah

I was going to pick Grizedale because I loved the accommodation. However, I'm getting a vibe that it's a sporty college. And that doesn't suit my personality, I'm not into sports at all. So, I'm just a bit clueless at the minute.
Original post by PadraigMop
I was going to pick Grizedale because I loved the accommodation. However, I'm getting a vibe that it's a sporty college. And that doesn't suit my personality, I'm not into sports at all. So, I'm just a bit clueless at the minute.

You dont have to get involved in the sports, I'm not sporty at all but i imagine that each college will have its sporty types and its more couch potato types and that it will be accommodating to everyone.
Honestly don't be put off by any rumours about being sporty- every college has sporty and non sporty people in, i've been here a year now and the colleges really doesn't mean anything more than accommodation and sports teams as far as i'm concerned- they really don't make a difference at all! If you're living on campus my advice would be to choose by location and accommodation type- for instance i knew that i wanted superior ensuite and i knew from an open day that my department was located near county and i wanted to be as close as possible so i picked county for that reason haha! If anyone wants to know what colleges their department is near to or far from then i can help, i know where most departments are (i think) :P
Original post by Jessicak96
Honestly don't be put off by any rumours about being sporty- every college has sporty and non sporty people in, i've been here a year now and the colleges really doesn't mean anything more than accommodation and sports teams as far as i'm concerned- they really don't make a difference at all! If you're living on campus my advice would be to choose by location and accommodation type- for instance i knew that i wanted superior ensuite and i knew from an open day that my department was located near county and i wanted to be as close as possible so i picked county for that reason haha! If anyone wants to know what colleges their department is near to or far from then i can help, i know where most departments are (i think) :P

I'm applying for Social Work, and that means my department is Social Sciences. Do you know what colleges are best for that area?
Original post by PadraigMop
I'm applying for Social Work, and that means my department is Social Sciences. Do you know what colleges are best for that area?

The sociology department itself (which covers social work) is in bowland north which is where my department is, the closest to there is either county or bowland, though i'm not sure where lectures and seminars tend to be for that course- i've done a sociology module and had lectures in furness and seminars near county, they could be anywhere across the uni really but like i say the department itself is in bowland
:smile:
I'm going for Lancaster University's foundation course in September via the International programme then hopefully into the university by 2016. Finance & Accountancy! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending