The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

Reply 4100
Only places you'll be guaranteed a single room are Jo Butler and Van Mildert. Anywhere else there is a possibility of it.
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
finnyounger
Guys I really do not want to share a room at Durham, I want my own room, so does this rule out University College? does Cuth's have private rooms?

Every college HAS single rooms, but most of them has at least some shared rooms. If it's a REALLY big issue then you can just ask the college you apply to to give you a single room but it's honestly not an issue. No-one I know has ever had issues with it.
Reply 4102
I'm at Castle, and I didn't want to share, so I put that on my accomodation form and I'm not sharing. Just ask them, they'll oblige because the less problems for them the better. Its in noones interest to make you unhappy because they don't want to deal with the fuss of complaints and moving people around.
(edited 13 years ago)
Sequin
I'm at Castle, and I didn't want to share, so I put that on my accomodation form and I'm not sharing. Just ask them, they'll oblige because the less problems for them the better. Its in noones interest to make you unhappy because they don't want to deal with the fuss of complaints and moving people around.

Can't really draw a general conclusion from a single observation like this, however. It's impossible to judge how lucky you've been. It may well be that a number of other people who made a similar request have been chosen to share. Asking not to share isn't a guarantee that it won't happen. That said, while everyone fears it the reality isn't at all bad if/when it happens.
Aula
Only places you'll be guaranteed a single room are Jo Butler and Van Mildert. Anywhere else there is a possibility of it.

And not quite guaranteed (due to the fact that shared rooms actually exist), but highly unlikely at Hild Bede.
I'm also a Castleman and not sharing - and they are very accomodating if you really can't get along with a roommate. A few people generally drop out (one person in my year arrived, took one look at the building and went straight home again) so there are generally a few empty rooms knocking about.

Latest