The Student Room Group
University of York
York

York Applicants 2012!!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1260
Original post by tommy1311
Why'd you choose to re-apply? Course wasn't right?

Yeah, plus I wasn't 100% happy with the uni I was at either. Dyou think you'll firm? :smile:
University of York
York
Original post by Azza919
erm well GCSEs are (all including btecs erghhhh)
roughly, 4A*10A,2Bs...

AS, AABBC (english lit, general studies (lol) history, economics, french)
with retakes, at A2, i'm now on effectively A*ABB (english lit, history, economics, gen studs)

so yeah, not brilliant.

my coursework was on the Boer War. SO BORING. I wish we could have done the USSR etc..

Youve done pretty well then, im sure theyll consider you. on the exam paper we've gotta do irish history from 1798 - 1921.., it would made the boer war look like a roller coaster lolol.

What other offers you got? :biggrin:
Reply 1262
Original post by AverageExcellence
Youve done pretty well then, im sure theyll consider you. on the exam paper we've gotta do irish history from 1798 - 1921.., it would made the boer war look like a roller coaster lolol.

What other offers you got? :biggrin:

hahaha. that's such a long period!

I have 3 rejections! :colondollar:
And 1 offer from Queen Mary, so that looks my best options, what about yourself?
Original post by fiona_x
Yeah, plus I wasn't 100% happy with the uni I was at either. Dyou think you'll firm? :smile:

Yeah, I'm about 90%. Just waiting for Edinburgh to decide, then I'll probably take a look anyway but I liked York when I went for the open day!
Original post by Azza919
hahaha. that's such a long period!

I have 3 rejections! :colondollar:
And 1 offer from Queen Mary, so that looks my best options, what about yourself?

I dont think i really did my research lol, i liked york and UEA from the start, but when i went to birmingham it werent for me, oxford brookes was like if i really c*cked up but luckily that hasnt been the case. and of course the rejection from warwick.

Im still a bit stuck about which one to choose, people keep telling me to go for the prestige of york but ive gotta spend 3 years there so i want to ensure i like it. They havent told me when the visit day is yet, maybe there filling the course and will tell everyone at once.

Have you applied for h/p at york too?
Reply 1265
I dont think i really did my research lol, i liked york and UEA from the start, but when i went to birmingham it werent for me, oxford brookes was like if i really c*cked up but luckily that hasnt been the case. and of course the rejection from warwick.

Im still a bit stuck about which one to choose, people keep telling me to go for the prestige of york but ive gotta spend 3 years there so i want to ensure i like it. They havent told me when the visit day is yet, maybe there filling the course and will tell everyone at once.

Have you applied for h/p at york too?

yup, H+P. i live about 40mins away from York, so quite familiar with it. really nice place, perhaps not the liveliest, but there's lots of benefits of the uni and the area :smile:
Original post by Azza919
yup, H+P. i live about 40mins away from York, so quite familiar with it. really nice place, perhaps not the liveliest, but there's lots of benefits of the uni and the area :smile:

Nice, good luck on your offer man. message me if you do!. I live in bedfordshire so its like a 3 hour car or train. So itll be pretty costly to get to and thro but every uni has its pros and cons. im not sure how much the student card gives discount but i suppose we'll have to wait and see lol
Reply 1267
Original post by admbeatmaker
I have an interview at York Law School next Wednesday, what can I expect?

I'm going to assume that a suit is not needed but the dress code would smart-casual.

Any help would be great.

I went for the interview last week and got an offer yesterday.Smart casual should suffice.They are really nice and they make you feel right at home.In all likelihood i will be going to study there.All the best,just be yourself,i guess.
Original post by ncsean
I went for the interview last week and got an offer yesterday.Smart casual should suffice.They are really nice and they make you feel right at home.In all likelihood i will be going to study there.All the best,just be yourself,i guess.

Thanks ncsean, that's put me at rest. I have been working myself up a little, getting worried.

If I get an offer, York will be my firm choice. I've spent 20 years in London, so going to QM, my other choice, is not really that attractive.

And it makes it even better that York is now a Russell Group university :biggrin:
Reply 1269
Just firmed York for CS :biggrin:
I don't think I posted in this thread before, but I got an offer from York (for History) quite a while ago.

Currently, though, it looks like my best option, as my offer from York is as a home student and my offer from Durham (which would otherwise be my preferred choice) is as an overseas student (my status is somewhat debatable). And the history program at York seems really good. Unfortunately, I can't visit any of the unis I applied to... (I'm much too far away from Britain.)
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1271
Just firmed my offer for English/History from York :biggrin: Good to see there are going to be other people who took gap years though, I was getting worried I'd be the only one (no one else I knew decided to choose the 9,000 a year fees..)
Just a quick question, have they asked anyone else to send them exam certificates? They asked for a PDF copy so I just scanned them in and uploaded them but they haven't acknowledged them...:s-smilie:
Original post by egirl64
Just firmed my offer for English/History from York :biggrin: Good to see there are going to be other people who took gap years though, I was getting worried I'd be the only one (no one else I knew decided to choose the 9,000 a year fees..)
Just a quick question, have they asked anyone else to send them exam certificates? They asked for a PDF copy so I just scanned them in and uploaded them but they haven't acknowledged them...:s-smilie:

Yeh, they asked for digital copies of my certificates as well, should really get round to scanning them sometime...

I've got 2 offers for English, one at York and one at St Andrews and I really can't decide. York sounds amazing, course wise and socially but there's just something so depressing about the campus....I am yet to visit St As so I don't really have anything to compare it to yet.....
Original post by egirl64

Did they ask to see them after you firmed or when they sent you the offer? they havent contacted me since giving me an offer, im still waiting to be invited to a visit day.
Reply 1274
Original post by Seasider5
Yeh, they asked for digital copies of my certificates as well, should really get round to scanning them sometime...

I've got 2 offers for English, one at York and one at St Andrews and I really can't decide. York sounds amazing, course wise and socially but there's just something so depressing about the campus....I am yet to visit St As so I don't really have anything to compare it to yet.....

Ahh just got an email from UCAS saying my application status changed, guessing they finally got round to looking at them :smile: Panic over
The campus isn't the prettiest I guess, but I did like the lake :/ Both are amazing unis though :smile:
Reply 1275
Did they ask to see them after you firmed or when they sent you the offer? they havent contacted me since giving me an offer, im still waiting to be invited to a visit day.

They asked to see them as the condition of my offer, think they just changed it to unconditional at last though..can't check because UCAS chooses today to be down for maintenance :frown:
York took ages to contact me, about a month :/ Most of the information about their visit days is on that You@York website though, that's where I had to book on mine.
Original post by egirl64
They asked to see them as the condition of my offer, think they just changed it to unconditional at last though..can't check because UCAS chooses today to be down for maintenance :frown:
York took ages to contact me, about a month :/ Most of the information about their visit days is on that You@York website though, that's where I had to book on mine.

Oh nice, I sent my application off in november and they just got back to me last week, they didnt ask me for any of my exam certificates or anything though as ive done it through the school, i was preempting to have to go through all the extra effort of scanning everything lol. thanks for the heads up
Reply 1277
Ive applied to do maths/econ equal at york however the offer they gave me was straight maths any idea why they did that as i would of thought more people would want to do maths rather than the combined course.

I haven't heard from them either. I rang them up to ask when I might get my You@York login and the lady on the phone says that they're in the process of dealing with it.

I asked when the visit days might be and she said that unfortunately Wednesday was the last Hisotyr one but that there will be a general open day on the 27th of April so I should plan to come to that one.
Original post by Historophilia
I haven't heard from them either. I rang them up to ask when I might get my You@York login and the lady on the phone says that they're in the process of dealing with it.

I asked when the visit days might be and she said that unfortunately Wednesday was the last Hisotyr one but that there will be a general open day on the 27th of April so I should plan to come to that one.

Thats unfortunate, i just emailed them to ask if there was a visit day. Its a bit frustrating giving offers out after the visit day, ud think theyd have gave out all the offers so everyone has a chance to go to the visit day.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending