The Student Room Group

Is it worth it to skip school for a few weeks to revise for my exams?

I'm quite considering doing this, as going back and forth to school all day to go over things I might already know/ things that don't matter seems like a bit of a waste of time.

Should I do this, and did anyone here who did this find it helpful?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
yes i did this, if you are behind, theres no point in going to the classes, because you could cover the material of one class in about half the time. i reccomend this only if you are motivated and will wake up early and actually work at home. teachers get pissed off, but so what its your life and if you feel you can get more done at home, then dont let anyone stop you.
As the above says, if you can work well at home, then of course do so. I'd really want to but unfortunately, I'm doing GCSEs and have to keep going to school :angry:
if you go to a **** school, yeah i would, if not then teachers might actually be helpful, i know a couple of people who have done thi to varying success but not because they missed out on anygthing at school because they're of varying intellects
Reply 4
I did this and it really, really benefitted me. Like the poster before me said you have to be extremely self-motivated in order to actually get up early and work, but if you are, then like you say, you can cover more material and stick to a revision plan that suits you personally. Your teachers will hate you, and I nearly got expelled for doing it but I came out with 3A's that I would not have acheived if I'd been in class everyday. The way I see it is as long as you're teacher has shown you the technique to answer the exam paper then you can learn the content by yourself. Good luck.
I did this last year, I think it worked, my teachers expected me to like D's and I ended up with BBC at the end of then (retaken again since ABB now, going for AAB but anyway...) though I was called into the head of years office like a week before everyone finished and told I had to come in for every lesson, that sucked >.< but I still think if i had not taken that time off I would of failed.
Are you indian?
Reply 7
Original post by orro
I did this and it really, really benefitted me. Like the poster before me said you have to be extremely self-motivated in order to actually get up early and work, but if you are, then like you say, you can cover more material and stick to a revision plan that suits you personally. Your teachers will hate you, and I nearly got expelled for doing it but I came out with 3A's that I would not have acheived if I'd been in class everyday. The way I see it is as long as you're teacher has shown you the technique to answer the exam paper then you can learn the content by yourself. Good luck.

Original post by ChappersBC
I did this last year, I think it worked, my teachers expected me to like D's and I ended up with BBC at the end of then (retaken again since ABB now, going for AAB but anyway...) though I was called into the head of years office like a week before everyone finished and told I had to come in for every lesson, that sucked >.< but I still think if i had not taken that time off I would of failed.

Oh dear... :lol:

Original post by Frodo Baggins
Are you indian?

No. If I was, I'd be applying to do Medicine...
(edited 11 years ago)
I did this but I found going in every now and again gave me some great mental relief.
Reply 9
You're not alone, there's a whole bunch of us revising at home for the better cause :biggrin:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1988743
I would say no; go to school.

I missed the last week of school before my GCSEs and that caused me to miss a lot of really important stuff, which would have helped me a lot in exams.
It depends on you really. If you are motivated and wont get distracted then stay at home. But make sure you have everything you need to revise fully for the exam and make sure you arent missing out on any important information!

Sometimes teachers give homework which helps you revise so maybe find out off a friend in your class what they are doing to check you arent missing out :smile:
Reply 12
Doesn't your school have study leave?
I'd be far too lazy to do that. I simply cannot motivate myself any more. But I think if you are motivated and you know you have all the resources you need go for it. Back in the days when I cared and was motivated the worst feeling was going into school not doing much knowing I could have done so much more at home on my own.
Yes, you should phone up your school and tell them you're ill to get them of your case. Your bad attendance might be misunderstood for laziness, slacking and you could end up being withdrawn from the exams you spent endless weeks revising for, I know someone who know's someone that it happened to :lol:
...so don't forget to inform them about your unexpected recent 'illness', and you won't be in for a few weeks :smile:
Are you indian?

What has being indian got to do with this? ( i am btw)
Reply 16
Original post by najinaji
Oh dear... :lol:

No. If I was, I'd be applying to do Medicine...

haha

Well i am and i find that offensive.

this only makes it funnier
(edited 11 years ago)
Do you not get study leave at your school?
Miss school!The best way of revision is too miss school!
Original post by enigma1122
What has being indian got to do with this? ( i am btw)

Every heard of an indian skippin school? (I misread his name as nanaji)

Quick Reply

Latest