The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ameehannah
Ive failed my test twice now and am taking it again next Monday 😩 Why is this so difficult

Failed mine 4 times - I know it's so annoying especially as public transport where I live is non existent - my nearest bus stop is a mile away and nearest train station is 8 miles away ;(. We'll get there though!
Original post by Jack22031994
Failed mine 4 times - I know it's so annoying especially as public transport where I live is non existent - my nearest bus stop is a mile away and nearest train station is 8 miles away ;(. We'll get there though!

Aw that sucks I know the feeling.the most annoying this is we know we can drive though! Hopefully we'll get it this time round, good luck :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by ameehannah
Aw that sucks I know the feeling.the most annoying this is we know we can drive though! Hopefully we'll get it this time round, good luck :smile:

It does! Yeah I know we can! Only got 3 minors on my last test (last Tuesday) but all the same thing :/ otherwise I got 0! Hopefully we will :smile: got my test on 10 September so just in time for my Master's degree :smile: Good luck!
Passed my test two weeks ago with zero faults.

Tips:
Learn from your mistakes- know what your weaknesses are and work on them. I absolutely hated driving uphill, stopping and then starting again, and we just practiced and that really paid off. Get familiar with the area around the test centre so you aren't faced with an unfamiliar route.
When moving off- check all around and your blind spot before you go. You'll be stopped a few times in your test, so get into the habit of doing this.
Use your mirrors- seriously it helps! whenever you're turning left, right, at the end of the road, waiting at traffic lights, told to do a manoevre or when you're just driving, have a quick glance it doesn't hurt to have a quick look
Positioning- stay in your lane and remember what gear you are in,
Roundabouts- remember priority is for the traffic coming from the right and be in the left lane for going left and straight and right for taking the third or fourth exit unless the road signs say otherwise.
Manoevres- do not rush these, do them calmly and slowly, observe what's around you and use your reference points, there is no need to rush keep looking all around and go.

Lastly, stay calm and relax the test only lasts for 40 minutes, including 10 minutes of independent driving and remember to Focus on passing your test rather than worrying about failing it.

Good Luck! :gthumb:
(edited 7 years ago)
Wow! Such a positive comments. I just failed my 3rd attempt now
Woohhooo passed my test this morning 2nd time :smile: 3 minor faults!! soo happy!!!
Original post by leanneebabyy
Woohhooo passed my test this morning 2nd time :smile: 3 minor faults!! soo happy!!!

Congratulations well done!
Failed first time today- pretty gutted as I thought I would pass. I would love to blame the examiner or say I was unlucky however it was completely my fault and I've no idea why I drove so badly. Only 1 major and 5 minors tho, but still pretty disappointing. Booked another one for a couple of months time which will hopefully go better.
Original post by HopelessMedic
Failed first time today- pretty gutted as I thought I would pass. I would love to blame the examiner or say I was unlucky however it was completely my fault and I've no idea why I drove so badly. Only 1 major and 5 minors tho, but still pretty disappointing. Booked another one for a couple of months time which will hopefully go better.

Sorry to hear that :frown: hopefully you'll pass next time! Hopefully I will too, I'm more confident for my next one as its on a Saturday so hopefully less cars on the road. Pressure as well as its two days before my Masters degree starts eek

Good luck to you though and keep at it! :smile:
Original post by Jack22031994
Sorry to hear that :frown: hopefully you'll pass next time! Hopefully I will too, I'm more confident for my next one as its on a Saturday so hopefully less cars on the road. Pressure as well as its two days before my Masters degree starts eek

Good luck to you though and keep at it! :smile:

Yeh less traffic is always a bonus. Good luck mate I'm sure you'll be fine :smile:
Original post by HopelessMedic
Yeh less traffic is always a bonus. Good luck mate I'm sure you'll be fine :smile:

It is! :smile: cheers buddy, you too! :smile:
Original post by kyoti
Congratulations well done!

Thankyou soo happy!!
Original post by Shorty94
Except they're not trying to catch you out.

I disagree. Some instructors might not be trying to catch you out some will (you shouldn't generalise).

Anyway I understand why I failed and will try to rectify the problem in my next test next week!
Any tips for meeting situations in the road when cars are coming from the other side and there's obstructions in the road (parked cars for example)? I always seem to go too fast or just generally become flustered when I approach the situation.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by _Dreamville_
Any tips for meeting situations in the road when cars are coming from the other side and there's obstructions in the road (parked cars for example)? I always seem to go too fast or just generally become flustered when I approach the situation.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Look ahead and see what other drivers want to do, if there's obstruction on your side and a car is coming they have priority you'll have to slow down (if you're going in third gear you will have to change to second gear to match the speed and to move away again) and maybe come to a complete stop, change to first gear, let them go, check mirrors and make sure you leave enough gap for you to move out again.
Best to ask your instructor you want to practice more of these kind of situations.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 5916
Original post by _Dreamville_

Posted from TSR Mobile

Generally, if the obstruction is on your side of the road then you should give way. There are exceptions to this, eg blue light vehicles, big lorries (they may have already started to go before you came, but accelerate slowly due to size), Addison Lee vehicles (they never give way to anything else, ever), and where sometimes there are signs saying one direction has priority.

So you should be able to see well in advance which side the obstruction is on. If it's your side then you know you need to slow down, because you'll potentially have to stop. If it's the other side then you still need to slow down slightly because there is still a chance you'll have to stop for other traffic, but also because the parked car could hide another danger (eg small child running into road).
Then because we're changing speed, we need to think about whether we need to change gear to match the new speed. We also need to check our mirrors, because we always do when changing speed.
If you do have to stop for the obstruction, don't stop too close. You need to be able to pull round it easily. Think about the turning capabilities of your vehicle and decide an appropriate distance. If you're unsure then further away is probably better than closer, but you don't want to be so far away that another vehicle thinks they can overtake you and squeeze in.
When I was doing my driving lessons the driving instructor was insistent that if I have legal passage on the road when driving in a straight line or turning that it is ok the run over pedestrians. He also took an hour to explain how to accelerate, break and turn the steering wheel when I race club100 karts...without being retarded. Now obviously it's a car on the road so all you have to do is drive smoothly and change gear properly with a manual with all the other standard considerations.Now I have only done 10 hours of driving practice but if the last 5hours was an actual driving test it would have been a pass. I also can pass any theory test question first time without reading a book. Then some guys turned up at my door to put me in a mental institution asking lots of questions. WTF is wrong with people.
I've failed my driving test twice and my third one is soon. I'm not as nervous as before because I know I can drive, however i'm still afraid of the outcome. I keep telling myself that whatever happens, happens for the best, but sometimes I feel that how long can I keep telling myself that:catfight:.
Anyway I hope i'm lucky this time round and good luck to everyone who is in the same position as me
It's so easy and it's so fun. I might just never sit the theory test even though it's so easy and just pay for driving on the road.

Although, I could also buy a moped and then be a pizza delivery boy to earn money and have fun at the same time.

I can't wait to get my driving licence sorted for the first time over the Winter months.

Latest

Trending

Trending