The Student Room Group
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter

Exeter Cornwall Campus?

Hey all.

I just got an offer from the Exeter Cornwall Campus of AAB which I am so happy about! :biggrin:

I just want to ask anyone who is at the Cornwall Campus or at the main one if you know of any differences between the two, and also what are the pros and cons of studying here :smile:

Thanks! :biggrin:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Congratulations! :biggrin: What are you studying? I'm afraid I have no other relevant information for you.
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter
Reply 2
Original post by f1234
Congratulations! :biggrin: What are you studying? I'm afraid I have no other relevant information for you.

BA in Geography. Sorry, forgot to say :P
Reply 3
Original post by Ravenclaw999
BA in Geography. Sorry, forgot to say :P

That's great, good luck I hope you enjoy University wherever you go. :smile: Sorry I didn't actually answer your question
Reply 4
Hey all.

I just got an offer from the Exeter Cornwall Campus of AAB which I am so happy about! :biggrin:

I just want to ask anyone who is at the Cornwall Campus or at the main one if you know of any differences between the two, and also what are the pros and cons of studying here :smile:

Hi,

Not sure what you do or don't know about the campus and the differences, so I'll try and give a general overview:

The CC is in Falmouth in Cornwall, its not an urban an area - the most urban atmosphere you'll find is in Truro and that's not really a city in the same way, say, Manchester is. The closest place like that is Plymouth. This is comparative to Exeter which is of course a fairly big city.
The atmosphere is also very different. The campus is shared with University College Falmouth, which is an arts college, and the Halls are shared as well. Its very relaxed, and not uncommon to finish lectures and head down to the beach for the afternoon/evening.
The actual degree is the same, though in some respects modules are more limited. A second year law student last year there had a choice of two modules in each term, having to pick one from each.
The campus is quite small. There were (from memory, so might be a bit off) 1000 first years living on campus two years ago.

Did you have any other questions? :smile:
Reply 5
I have an AAB offer for BSc geography at ECC! :biggrin:

I think I want to firm it but I was wondering if anyone could tell me anything about the course and the campus! The good things, any bad things, what you think of it overall etc.
Reply 6
Original post by dutton316
Hi,

Not sure what you do or don't know about the campus and the differences, so I'll try and give a general overview:

The CC is in Falmouth in Cornwall, its not an urban an area - the most urban atmosphere you'll find is in Truro and that's not really a city in the same way, say, Manchester is. The closest place like that is Plymouth. This is comparative to Exeter which is of course a fairly big city.
The atmosphere is also very different. The campus is shared with University College Falmouth, which is an arts college, and the Halls are shared as well. Its very relaxed, and not uncommon to finish lectures and head down to the beach for the afternoon/evening.
The actual degree is the same, though in some respects modules are more limited. A second year law student last year there had a choice of two modules in each term, having to pick one from each.
The campus is quite small. There were (from memory, so might be a bit off) 1000 first years living on campus two years ago.

Pretty much it, all I'll add is:
There's a small town called penryn which is mostly residential with a few larger shops and services in an industrial estate (ASDA being the most useful to students) there's also a few small pubs/bars - it's right on the doorstep.
Then theres the town of Falmouth which has a couple of bars, clubs and pubs, an average sized department store, plenty of pasty shops (surprise, surprise) and is just generally really quite nice but if you're after major shopping or you're used to big city atmospheres and night life, it's not the same but most people seem to prefer it.

There's a bit more than 1,000 freshers on campus in Glasney Student Village, they're building some more housing now to increase the capacity and there's also some other places like Tuke House (although I've no idea where that is).

Hey all.

The only things I'll add to Dutton's aside from what I already have is that it's quite a close community, you can easily get to know people and everyone is really friendly. It's a nice area, the mix of Falmouth and Exeter students makes for a good mix of people and it's really compact so you can easily get from your room to lectures in 10 minutes walking!

I'm a first year zoologist at the moment and love it!
Original post by AbiSmith93

I think I want to firm it but I was wondering if anyone could tell me anything about the course and the campus! The good things, any bad things, what you think of it overall etc.

I can tell you about the campus as im a student here myself, only im with Falmouth.

Good:
Nice areas, beach.
Halls are very good quality.
Community feel, everyone is very close and you always see people.
Lots of student support.
Library is 24 hours in Tremough, fantastic if you've got an essay you've stalled til last minute!

Bad:
Lack of nightlife, not typical 'uni experience'
- 2-3 clubs down here, remedies got shut down, and most are on way out.
Uni campus is in middle of nowhere, with not much facilites on site such as shopping and student bar is pretty deserted.
Halls are expensive, and if you live offsite, its a bitch to get to in the morning.
Long journey home for most.
Sea is actually cold in winter!
Reply 8
I'm a second year Law student at the Cornwall Campus at the moment :smile:

Tremough Campus has got to be the most relaxed and laid back campus I've ever been at, considering my secondary school made a point of taking us from one open day to another.

The beach is a short distance away and its always tempting to grab some drinks and head down for the evening, there are some small bars along the beach too.

The night life reflects the town; small and not a lot of choice. We're currently down to 1 Club (Club I) but with societies organising student nights and regular events held on campus, it’s not bad at all.

Tremough definitely is the right place to study if you want a quiet and smooth running atmosphere. Accommodation is brilliant, a very big double bed en suite (unless you’re in shared occupancy during the first term!)

If you have any specific questions, do let me know and I’ll try to help.

Best of luck for your upcoming exams!
Reply 9

i have the same offer-am so pleased! i think it is my favourite choice as well :smile: are you going to an open day?
Reply 10
Original post by boostar1
i have the same offer-am so pleased! i think it is my favourite choice as well :smile: are you going to an open day?

Yay! No I'm not, I've already been down there once and since it's like 6/7 hours away I decided not too. Are you going?
Reply 11
Yay! No I'm not, I've already been down there once and since it's like 6/7 hours away I decided not too. Are you going?

ive been already...but i really really want to go down again! its like 8 hours for me too though, but might go for the weekend or something :smile: so you really like it there?
Reply 12
ive been already...but i really really want to go down again! its like 8 hours for me too though, but might go for the weekend or something :smile: so you really like it there?

Yup, I really loved it. The campus, the location, everything about it really!
Reply 13
Hey all.

Hey, I got the same offer-very pleased too! Have you been to the campus? It looks lovely!
Reply 14
Can I ask, did you guys apply to the Cornwall Campus or just get given an offer for there? When I applied for BSc Geography I don't even particularly remember getting given the option to choose... If you specifically decided upon CC, Is there anyway I can check my application for fear of missing this?

I may have just completely forgotten, but I personally only want to go to the Streatham campus and I somehow don't think I would have missed something like this. (No offence intented to those who want to study at the Cornwall Campus whatsoever, it does look lovely, I just get the feeling it'd be too quiet for what I'm looking for from university.)

If it helps, on the my choices section of UCAS Apply it has this: Campus: University of Exeter (Exeter Campuses) (-). I was particularly thorough going through my whole UCAS application so I get the feeling you don't get a choice (at least for this particular subject) and that by 'Exeter Campuses' it means it could be either and is up to the university to decide.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 15
Original post by UKiwi
Can I ask, did you guys apply to the Cornwall Campus or just get given an offer for there? When I applied for BSc Geography I don't even particularly remember getting given the option to choose... If you specifically decided upon CC, Is there anyway I can check my application for fear of missing this?

I may have just completely forgotten, but I personally only want to go to the Streatham campus and I somehow don't think I would have missed something like this. (No offence intented to those who want to study at the Cornwall Campus whatsoever, it does look lovely, I just get the feeling it'd be too quiet for what I'm looking for from university.)

If it helps, on the my choices section of UCAS Apply it has this: Campus: University of Exeter (Exeter Campuses) (-). I was particularly thorough going through my whole UCAS application so I get the feeling you don't get a choice (at least for this particular subject) and that by 'Exeter Campuses' it means it could be either and is up to the university to decide.

When i applied, i selected Cornwall Campus from the selecting campus section...this seems strange that it only came up with (-) on yours, it may be best to email the admissions people before they alocate you an offer at the place you dont want :smile:
Reply 16
When i applied, i selected Cornwall Campus from the selecting campus section...this seems strange that it only came up with (-) on yours, it may be best to email the admissions people before they alocate you an offer at the place you dont want :smile:

Hmmm, that's certainly quite worrying... I just don't know how I could have missed something like that. Do you mind me asking what course you applied for? Maybe there's a possibility you get the choice for some courses and don't for others.

Do you think 'Exeter Campuses' means the Streatham campus or includes all Exeter Uni campuses?

Thanks for the response.

EDIT: Just doing a bit of research and it looks like the course codes for BSc Geography differ for each campus, with Streatham being F800 and Cornwall being F804. I applied to F800 so I get the feeling I'm right about not being given the choice (well at least the choice was made through my course code). That said, I understand still might be given an offer for the Cornwall Campus (if I'm not rejected outright)...
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 17
Exeter Campuses usually refers to Streatham and St Lukes (both in Exeter, hence Exeter Campuses rather than Campus; I assume Cornwall would be explicitely referred to as Tremough or Cornwall) though for Geography in Exeter it'd only be Streatham, but might be referred to as Exeter Campuses because of accomoadtion potentially being at St Lukes.
Reply 18
Original post by UKiwi
Hmmm, that's certainly quite worrying... I just don't know how I could have missed something like that. Do you mind me asking what course you applied for? Maybe there's a possibility you get the choice for some courses and don't for others.

Do you think 'Exeter Campuses' means the Streatham campus or includes all Exeter Uni campuses?

Thanks for the response.

EDIT: Just doing a bit of research and it looks like the course codes for BSc Geography differ for each campus, with Streatham being F800 and Cornwall being F804. I applied to F800 so I get the feeling I'm right about not being given the choice (well at least the choice was made through my course code). That said, I understand still might be given an offer for the Cornwall Campus (if I'm not rejected outright)...

Well it seems as though you didn't miss it if you weren't given the option but that there was something odd with the application page instead.. Iapplied to geography bsc at Cornwall campus-on my UCAS track it says F804 for course code and C on campus choice.
I reckon that means just Streatham campus yes, but emailing might be a good idea anyhoo.
No problem!
Reply 19
Got an offer of AAB for Politics and History at ECC :smile: So pleased but just need to go and visit it before I make any decisions, considering my other choices are all London/Essex/M25 area basically!

Anyone else got this course?
Anyone going to the 3rd March open day??

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending