The Student Room Group

Audiology 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ayeeel
My local Audiology department has had problems getting enough people to apply for entry-level jobs for audiologists. There are definitely jobs out there! As someone else has said, a lot of students get offered jobs at the location of their final year placement.

Also sometimes the uni can't get a lot of placements too, as there is only 6 people on my course
Reply 121
Original post by dawilko14
Also sometimes the uni can't get a lot of placements too, as there is only 6 people on my course

Wow, that's not many people in your year. We have 16, but 2 are exchange students who are only here for a year.

We haven't had problems getting placements arranged. As it's our first year, they're a mixture of audiology, vision and neurophysiology.
Original post by ayeeel
Wow, that's not many people in your year. We have 16, but 2 are exchange students who are only here for a year.

We haven't had problems getting placements arranged. As it's our first year, they're a mixture of audiology, vision and neurophysiology.

Yeah, we all have placements, it's just that only 6 people got on the course due to placements being available. Also we have 18 cardiology
Original post by ayeeel

How many weeks of placement do you have in your first year? Also how are they spread out?
Original post by ayeeel
My local Audiology department has had problems getting enough people to apply for entry-level jobs for audiologists. There are definitely jobs out there! As someone else has said, a lot of students get offered jobs at the location of their final year placement.

Yes your 100% right but if you work in a company e.g boots you don't work in one location you have to work in different areas it is not permanent. Also you have to sell a specific quantity of hearing aids each month for example 30 in a month. A hearing aid costs around 1 grand, and if you are working in an area where it is quite poor, its unlikely people will buy the hearing aids.
Reply 125
Original post by Oiseaux
How many weeks of placement do you have in your first year? Also how are they spread out?

At Southampton we have 6 weeks placement in the first year: 2 weeks in Jan, 2 in April and 2 in May. The aim is to have one Audiology, one in Vision and one in Neurophysiology.

In second year the placements are much longer (and all Audiology) and are basically all summer between year 2 & 3, and then the last semester of year 3. Other unis vary considerably in when their placements happen, but I think all courses have to have the same total amount of time on placement.

More info on Southampton placements here: http://www.southampton.ac.uk/audiology/studyaudiology/placementinformation.page
(edited 8 years ago)
Hi, I got BCD for my AS results and was really upset as I wanted to apply for audiology. Predicted grades will probably be BCC, do I have a chance. was looking to apply to dmu, Southampton, Manchester, Aston , Middlesex
Original post by anaighj
Hi, I got BCD for my AS results and was really upset as I wanted to apply for audiology. Predicted grades will probably be BCC, do I have a chance. was looking to apply to dmu, Southampton, Manchester, Aston , Middlesex

anyone ?
Original post by Nv97
Whats your fifth choice. Are you only applying to 4 unis?. Southampton is the best uni for audiology and manchester is the oldest uni as it was the first to start audiology. Im not applying to southampton as they dont accept a btec extended diploma which i am doing atm. Manchester is asking for a B in science and maths at gcse and i only have a c so i wont be applying there. I will be apllying to all the other 5 unis. Are you doing alevels?

Did you get a place in audiology?
I'm applying for audiology for the 2017 entry. I'm spending total of 3 years in college hoping to get ABB in psychology, biology and a language. Im also doing 6 units of btec award which is equivalent to 1 a level. Do you think I have a chance of getting at Manchester or Leeds?
Reply 130
Original post by feefs2710
I'm applying for audiology for the 2017 entry. I'm spending total of 3 years in college hoping to get ABB in psychology, biology and a language. Im also doing 6 units of btec award which is equivalent to 1 a level. Do you think I have a chance of getting at Manchester or Leeds?

Typical offer from Leeds & Manchester is ABB with 1 science according to UCAS, so no reason why you shouldn't get an offer from them.

Quick Reply

Latest