The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
The first real love affair I had with a children's book was "Ella Enchanted" As soon as i'd finish it, I'd go back and read it again...and then again (the movie was a big let down, though :frown: ) Maybe I like the Cinderella story - or maybe it's just the male protagonist - prince Char :wink: :smile:
Reply 2
gCarroll loved 'Dominic' by William Steig.
Reply 3
I was raised on Famous Five -- they were the first books I could read by myself, and I was probably about five at the time... I forget. I read a lot of other Enid Blyton books, too. My absolute favourite childhood book has to be Alice, though, because it was just so random. It made me think... some things I thought about for ages, and it was just so ... clever and, well, I still like it! :redface: Such a fun book... and I still try to believe at least three impossible things before breakfast! :P
Reply 4
When i was little my favourite was The Hungry Caterpillar!!!
Reply 5
I had all the Enid Blyton books :biggrin: I loved them - especially the Famous Five.

I can't remember having a single favourite book - some I really liked were 'A Little Princess', 'Heidi', 'Anne of Green Gables' and 'Little Women'
Reply 6
All Roald Dahl books! Adored Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.
Oh, how can I forget... Hans Christian Anderson stories... but I was too young to really understand some of the morals to them.
Reply 7
Enid Blyton for me too. The Faraway Tree series. FANTASTIC.

Was a big Roald Dahl fan too - The Twits and The Witches were my favourites I think.

Oh, and of course, when I was a bit older the Sweet Valley High books were ACE. :biggrin: lol
Reply 8
I loved the Babysitters' Club series! :redface:
Reply 9
Rebecca/Becca
I loved the Babysitters' Club series! :redface:

Yes! :biggrin: I still have the 72 copies I bought when I was eight!

edit: isn't it kind of sad though that she wrote more than 300 books and not one became a classic?
Reply 10
When I was very young, Where The Wild Things Are. Then Alice and Narnia.
Reply 11
Gwenyth!
Yes! :biggrin: I still have the 72 copies I bought when I was eight!

edit: isn't it kind of sad though that she wrote more than 300 books and not one became a classic?

I wonder why? Because they're all about the same thing!!!!! LOL. :biggrin:
Reply 12
I loved the babysitters' club when I was about 10 or so
And I read a fair bit of Blighton
But mostly I didn't read that many "children's books" until I wasn't a child anymore!! :biggrin:
Reply 13
Rebecca/Becca
I wonder why? Because they're all about the same thing!!!!! LOL. :biggrin:

hehehe :smile:

did you notice how the second chapter was an exact copy in every book - the history of the entire Babysitter's Club (still loved em though :smile: )
Reply 14
Yeh i noticed... I just used to skip Chapter 2 :biggrin:
Reply 15
Gwenyth!
hehehe :smile:

did you notice how the second chapter was an exact copy in every book - the history of the entire Babysitter's Club (still loved em though :smile: )

Lol yeah I did! It was sooooooo boring! I too used to skip chapter 2 as well!! :biggrin:
Reply 16
Yeah..must confess I read every copy of the Babysitter's club I could get my hand on (and I got up to over a hundred!). I always used to wonder why she bothered to put that chapter in....nobody randomly picks up book number 97 and expects to understand it, do they?? Doesn't happen with any other series I remember reading

LOVE, LOVE, LOVED Animporphs. Absolute classics.

And then actual classics: A Little Princess (cried all the time!), Little Lord Fauntleroy, Railway Children, The Phoenix & the Carpet....

The Chronicles of Narnia. Need I say more??
Reply 17
The Hungry Caterpillar, a much loved classic.
Ending was bit predictable though :biggrin:
Reply 18
Queen_A
Yeah..must confess I read every copy of the Babysitter's club I could get my hand on (and I got up to over a hundred!). I always used to wonder why she bothered to put that chapter in....nobody randomly picks up book number 97 and expects to understand it, do they?? Doesn't happen with any other series I remember reading

LOVE, LOVE, LOVED Animporphs. Absolute classics.

OMG, I loved both of those series! I had *so* many of the babysitters club books. My younger brother was a big animorphs fan and I used to steal them as soon as he'd read them :biggrin: They did start to suck after book 7 thousand or so though...

Goosebumps was another series I loved... ooh, and Brian Jacques' Redwall series!
I used to like Roald Dahl books as well as Aeosps Tales, Grims Fairytales and Hans Chritian Anderson

Latest

Trending

Trending