The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
it is highly unlikely that you would be able to get a job in a shop. the minimum age is 15 or 16. But still you can get a paper round or leaflet jobs. The leaflet job pays quite good. I did it last summer in a pizza shop and was getting paid 20 pounds for around 3 hrs plus free pizza and a coke. I got sick of pizza later.lol.
wandandwings
I need to earn some money and i was wondering if i was too young to get a job or not? I am 14, what is the normal age restriction for someone to work in somewhere like a shop? thanks xxxxx

youll be lucky if you get a job
Reply 3
At 14 i got a job on a market stall, at 5 pounds an hour wasnt bad then...
Reply 4
Reply 5
tiantang

not funny. it is pervy.isnt michael jackson more attracted to boys?
Reply 6
IZZY!
not funny. it is pervy.isnt michael jackson more attracted to boys?

why is everyone assuming hes guilty? hes just eccentric
Reply 7
Its not legal to have most jobs before 16 and you dont have your natural insurance number, apart from paper round/ newsround... can probably do informal untaxed stuff however.

To work in a shop or somewhere like McDonalds (like me :biggrin:) you need to wait till 16, summer after GCSEs is a good time as any to start.
Reply 8
I've been working since I was 13 so you really shouldn't have much of a problem. The trick is to find a job where your not exploited too much...just something nice and cushy. newsagent paper deliveries wages vary dramatically but I could never face getting up that early. Free weekly paper deliveries are more flexible since you can do the work over a few days and the wages tend to be better, though do be prepared for a lot of repetitive work. I also managed to get a job in a car wash which was just menial labour/lying on your back listening to the radio...wasn't so bad, but did drag.

Anywho in conclusion, annoy the local newsagents (ask them!) or find the phone number for the local free paper and annoy them.
I got a job in a local cafe at 14 but it was practically child labour...the boss broke so many laws....once I worked a 10 hour day!!!

Look in the local Metro paper...they always have adverts for paper round kids aged 13+
Reply 10
horrorboy
why is everyone assuming hes guilty? hes just eccentric

You sound like McCauley Culkin at the trial :rolleyes: Anyway here's a pic which confirmed my thoughts on him, lmao :wink:

http://www.davidstuff.com/opinion/los-mjackson.jpg

Regarding jobs you can get at 14, my advice is don't get a regular job and set-up a website, I'm 16 and I earn a fair packet from my site.
Reply 11
In a few years you'll be working for the rest of your life. Enjoy being young and free and leeching off your parents. :smile:
how about a small cafe?
As people said, a paper round. If you like working with animals you could always work on a farm, work with horses, get work experience at a vets/pet shop where you may get a little bit of cash in hand for your trouble. The problem is, in order to get a 'proper' job at minimum wage you need to be 16 or over and in the posession of a National Insurance card. This is so that you can pay tax and national insurance.
I am having the same preoblem... Although i did find *some* luck local small shops that are entirely family owned or have a very small staff... Another place to check is shed-shops (or shops that sell sheds!) You may want to see more ideas here:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/t116516.html
Its almost the same thread, but with diff. replies...
Sleep
Its not legal to have most jobs before 16 and you dont have your natural insurance number, apart from paper round/ newsround... can probably do informal untaxed stuff however.

To work in a shop or somewhere like McDonalds (like me :biggrin:) you need to wait till 16, summer after GCSEs is a good time as any to start.

Well for me this IS my 'summer after GCSEs' and I have my national insurance number, but I'm not 16 til the end of the summer so I can't work in many places (it is legal to work part-time from 14 btw, and full-time after the last friday in june of the school year of your 16th birthday).

It's annoying. I think maybe someone should od a campaign to get companies to make it policy to employ 14/15 year olds...you could even start up a junior recruitment agency LOL

MissSurfer
Reply 16
At age 14 there are strict laws on the hours you can work - have a look here: http://www.connexions-leics.org/work/13_16.htm it helpfully summarises how you can legally work. Note that as an under 16 year old you technically need a work permit to get a job. You will be able to work part time but the hours are fairly limited so shops are unlikely to be thrilled with the idea of employing you. Some sort of paper round is, sadly, probably your best bet until you're at least 15, probably 16.
Jenn xx
Reply 17
tiantang

waffles
Reply 18
Coal mining is particularly good for 14 year olds.
Reply 19
I got a handjob at 14 :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending