The Student Room Group

TSR Architecture Society Thread

You wanted one, so we got one. Use this to discuss any aspects of architecture, the course, any questions you may have and your aspirations.

I'll update this post when people tell me where/when they're going to study architecture or are currently studying. I'll start;

2004 entry *end of first year*

2005 entry *starting this september/october*

2006 entry *starting next year*

100th Post - rmyl
200th Post - Farid Daim
300th Post - jrhartley

Information on......

Course
Equipment to take, Books to read, Laptops and Part-time jobs
Essential graphics, CAD and other computer softwarePrad, jrhartley
Impressions or views on courses at different Universities: ArchiBoi, Prad, killahbabe
Prads First year at Portsmouth and other info

Career
Salaries

Links
RIBA (Royal Institute of British Architects)
Architecture.com
Careers in Architecture, including Presidents Medals - Architecture Courses Validated by the RIBA
Architecture Week

RIAI (Royal Institute of Australian Architects)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Okay, I'll go second.

Course: Architecture (K100) Sept 2005 Enrty
Firm: University of Notingham (BBB incl. Physics and Economics)
Insurance: Cardiff University (AAB)

I've always wanted to know how much money we can earn in the 4th year as graduates.
Reply 2
rmyl
You wanted one, so we got one. Use this to discuss any aspects of architecture, the course, any questions you may have and your aspirations.

I'll update this post when people tell me where/when they're going to study architecture or are currently studying. I'll start;

For k100:
Firm: Bath (AAA - start 2006)
Insurance: Newcastle (AAB - start 2006)

People and their uni

i'm going to manchester with BBB's! starting in sept
de monfort's my insurance CCE :eek: , can't go wrong with that offer!
Reply 3
Has anybody been to the architecture collection at the V&A museum in london?
Arch collection
It looks pretty good, and is one of the only ones in britain i think. Its supported by the RIBA too, which means its probably of a high standard.
Reply 4
Woo, our very own society! :biggrin:

Course: K100, 2005 entry
Firm: Bath (35 IB points - should be equivalent to an AAA)
Insurance: UWE Bristol (Course KK14 - architecture and planning)

rmyl
Arch collection
It looks pretty good, and is one of the only ones in britain i think. Its supported by the RIBA too, which means its probably of a high standard.
Nope, I haven't been just yet. Thanks for telling us about it though, I think I'll be going to see it when I'm in London this September! :smile:
Reply 5
count me in as a member :cool:
Well, so far, it looks like i'm the only actual architecture student here!
But woo! we have a TSR ArchSoc!

I'm Amy btw
Just finished my first year of Architecture at Cambridge.
Feel free to ask questions about Architecture applications/interviews/my course.

Oh and I also applied to
Bath
Glasgow
Cardiff
Sheffield
Liverpool
and I got offers from the all!
rmyl
Arch collection

went there on Saturday actually. It is very good. The highlight was touching some ETFE (what the air pockets at the Eden Project are made of) and a 1:100 model of BedZED! There's also a model of Fort William in India which is mde out of real ivory!
Reply 8
scarlet ibis
Well, so far, it looks like i'm the only actual architecture student here!
But woo! we have a TSR ArchSoc!

I'm Amy btw
Just finished my first year of Architecture at Cambridge.
Feel free to ask questions about Architecture applications/interviews/my course.

Oh and I also applied to
Bath
Glasgow
Cardiff
Sheffield
Liverpool
and I got offers from the all!

since you seem to be the only architecture student here!, can you tell me what sort of stuff do i need to take to uni with me related to the course?
any particular books i should be reading that will help me?
do i need a laptop?
is there are enough spare time to get a part time job, you know to keep the incoming flowing through!

let me know,
cheers! :smile:
r1sh1_165
since you seem to be the only architecture student here!, can you tell me what sort of stuff do i need to take to uni with me related to the course?
any particular books i should be reading that will help me?
do i need a laptop?
is there are enough spare time to get a part time job, you know to keep the incoming flowing through!

let me know,
cheers! :smile:

well of course it all depends where you're going, but i'll answer from my experiences at Cambridge.

- they will probably give you a list of things to buy, but there are a few essentials you could get beforehand, such as GOOD PENS (eg Rotring pens), GOOD MECHANICAL PENCILS, ADJUSTABLE SET SQUARE,TRACING PAPER (pad or roll), MASKING TAPE (you need lots of this)METAL RULER, SCALPEL, CUTTING MAT.. thats all i can think of right now.

- Gombrich's A Story of art is an excellent starting point, but some other good books on architectural history are A History of Architecture by Spiro Kostof and Modern Architecture from 1900 by W Curtis. You'll probably need the Architects Pocket Book - invalubale info about how wide door frames are, how high ceilngs need to be etc. Barry's Introduction to Construction is also useful for construction detaling, but you probably wont need either of those til you start your course. Just read any books on architecture that take your interest really! they'll all be useful. keep up to date with contemporary goings on in architecture. Subscribe to Architectural Review or some other magazine, if you can afford it!

- laptops arent essential. i dont have one, and have been fine, but if you do it may help. for example if you've finished a photoshop image, but haven't printed it out u can show it to a tutor on screen.

- at cambridge we aren't encouraged to get jobs, but tbh, there would be no time anyway! architecture has taken over my life sor an entire year. it i sprobably the most time consuming course you could enroll in and the most expensive. and I have friends doing architecture at UCL who say the same so its not just cambridge!

but anyway, despite the stress and cost, Architecture is so much fun! so go for it!

:biggrin:
Reply 10
scarlet ibis
well of course it all depends where you're going, but i'll answer from my experiences at Cambridge.

- they will probably give you a list of things to buy, but there are a few essentials you could get beforehand, such as GOOD PENS (eg Rotring pens), GOOD MECHANICAL PENCILS, ADJUSTABLE SET SQUARE,TRACING PAPER (pad or roll), MASKING TAPE (you need lots of this)METAL RULER, SCALPEL, CUTTING MAT.. thats all i can think of right now.

- Gombrich's A Story of art is an excellent starting point, but some other good books on architectural history are A History of Architecture by Spiro Kostof and Modern Architecture from 1900 by W Curtis. You'll probably need the Architects Pocket Book - invalubale info about how wide door frames are, how high ceilngs need to be etc. Barry's Introduction to Construction is also useful for construction detaling, but you probably wont need either of those til you start your course. Just read any books on architecture that take your interest really! they'll all be useful. keep up to date with contemporary goings on in architecture. Subscribe to Architectural Review or some other magazine, if you can afford it!

- laptops arent essential. i dont have one, and have been fine, but if you do it may help. for example if you've finished a photoshop image, but haven't printed it out u can show it to a tutor on screen.

- at cambridge we aren't encouraged to get jobs, but tbh, there would be no time anyway! architecture has taken over my life sor an entire year. it i sprobably the most time consuming course you could enroll in and the most expensive. and I have friends doing architecture at UCL who say the same so its not just cambridge!

but anyway, despite the stress and cost, Architecture is so much fun! so go for it!

:biggrin:

Awww, cheers my dear thats a lot of help. :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:
The architecture department at cambridge sure did look good!!! shame i didn't get in :frown: Hope everythings going well for you, do you think you'll last the whole course out (obviously you'd have to move elsewhere for the last bit) or are you thinking of doing something different after the first three years.
I'm interested to see how many people on here are thinking of doing the whole 7 years. I'm pretty sure i will. :p: Although my opinion on that could change!!! :smile:
rmyl
Awww, cheers my dear thats a lot of help. :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:
The architecture department at cambridge sure did look good!!! shame i didn't get in :frown: Hope everythings going well for you, do you think you'll last the whole course out (obviously you'd have to move elsewhere for the last bit) or are you thinking of doing something different after the first three years.
I'm interested to see how many people on here are thinking of doing the whole 7 years. I'm pretty sure i will. :p: Although my opinion on that could change!!! :smile:

yeah i hope so, but i'll see how the first three years go!
Reply 12
u know whats good! lol. well it appears that because we havent even got our own course thread on the main board, that not many people are applying. so we might have a better chance if we slip grades on results day heheheh..

i emailed the RIBA earlier, about qualifying to work in the US, from the UK, this was there rather unclear response :

Thank you for your email.

Currently there is no automatic mutual recognition of architectural qualifications between the UK and the US. If you have American qualifications and wish to practice as an architect in the UK, you have to apply to the Architects Registration Board for an assessment of those qualifications. If you have UK qualifications you have to apply in the same way for recognition. Individual States have their own registration bodies. I suggest you contact the relevant NCARB Registration board in the US for guidance.
The following links are for the US Professional and Registratory bodies:

www.aia.org

www.aiachicago.org/

www.ncarb.org

www.ncarb.org/reciprocity/foreign.html

www.ncarb.org/stateboards/regboards.asp?Boardname=Illinois

There is also some information about Architectural Practice in the US on the RIBA website:

www.riba.org/go/RIBA/News/Policy_372.html?q=america

RIBA also has chapters in the US, and it may be worthwhile contacting them. Their website is www.riba-usa.org.

I hope this information is useful

Regards

Cathy Wilson
Reply 13
oo sorry i forgot to add this part hehehe.. do you find your self doing much essay type stuff or much maths? i mean models are my favourite bit, everthing else is a bit dull in comaprison

...oh and de montfort is not fully RIBA'afied so beware. thats why i rejected them as insurance!
Reply 14
ArchiBoi
oo sorry i forgot to add this part hehehe.. do you find your self doing much essay type stuff or much maths? i mean models are my favourite bit, everthing else is a bit dull in comaprison

...oh and de montfort is not fully RIBA'afied so beware. thats why i rejected them as insurance!

If you don't mind me asking, how come you didn't fancy going to liverpool or newcastle???
I was just wondering as i saw you got two other offers other than dundee and de montfort.
Reply 15
rmyl

There's a very high chance of me doing the whole 7 years. Which brings to my unanswered question- How much can we earn working in the 4th year??

And Amy, I know you've already advised not to work and all, but do you think an average of 2-3 hours of working perday would affect my studies? I'm an international, I have 20 hours weekly cap, and I need all the extra money I can get.
Reply 16
cool
Reply 17
my university choice story is a long one! lol, i have visited 8 (i think) unis which is quite a lot.

Now Liverpool:
I went the first time, but it was the f irst time i had ever been to see any architecture department, and so naturally I was impressed. However, there were a few tiny things that got to me, like, the green messy carpets, that wer covered in rubbish, and chewing gums, and just random buckets and stuff just placed around. I thought oh well this is just a real 'studio' eviroment, and thus submitted my application.

Luckily i got an interview, and i was being interviewd by the guy that took us round last time. He erally was unproffessional, he didnt seem to care enough about the uni, or my work. And when i was explainign some of my work, he often gave sarcastic comments, i wasnt really in the mood for sarcasm. He gave a really bad impression. He also took the oppurtunity to slag fo the other unis id looked at. - when he'd actually never been to some of them. Liverpool is quite a dirty and cramp studio, where they mix years of students together in one drab green carpetted room.

Newcastle:
This was probably the second best uni i saw, it was well equipt and the studio space was at least 3 or 4x the size of liverpools, and a lot better quality. They have better computers, more facilities, and they kept it quite tidy (no graffiti, or random buckets) they seemed proud of their facilities. So i was glad that my offer was accepted and I got a lucky one at ABB (most people get AAB offers).

Dundee:
i just submitted an offer in the 6 choices on UCAS, and just shoved dundee in there, to fill the space. Then the interview form came through, and I thought im not going to arrogant, im gonna go up and see whats its all about, so i packed my models into the boot, and some ye'old portfolio that had seemed to be successful so far, and then took the 6 and a half hour d rive up. When I got their, i was initially unsure. But then all came apparent, they have the best studio space I had seen amoung all of the unis, a long building, with a corridor cut through the middle of it. Off to each side, are these rather retro 'glass pods' each containing a studio. You got you own desk, in your own little studio, that was still open enough so you got to talk to people around, this means you didnt have to 'hot desk' like you do at some unis. The place was clean, it was well maintained, and the students seemed really happy, happyeir than any of the others places I'd been to. They took real pride in their uni, they had a real love an dpassion for what they were doing. The block was huge, everyone had a lot more space, and i just got a really good impression. Then came my interview, and the guy was down to earth, he had a sense of h umour, and he had more of an interest in what i was doing, that any of the other place. Luckily, i got a place, and I was over the moon

De Montfort:
To be honest, im not keen on any part of de montfort, the studios looked like something you'd see in our 6th form and not of a uni specifically geared up. The talk was given in a new build, very 'collegy' style room. I didnt get that feel of proffessionalism from any of the people their. the uni is very small, and did still feel like a polytechy in comparison with dundee, liverpool and newcastle. The union was small too. When we were being showed round, some lads in a car pulled up and started shouted at our guide calling her a f#in slag and stuff, i didnt like the feel of the place at all.

I got an interview, with everyone else. I was last in But i was the only person their who got a place there and then. They even called my parents in becayse they wanted to meet them aswell, (everyone else was sent out, told they had a letter in the post). They sh ook there hand, they shook mine, they almost begging me to go. But when I asked about Riba they said 'dont worry about it' - i thought well :s-smilie: i think i should bE!!! Id have a degree in architecture = but not actually be an architect.

Sheffield:
This was a place i visited, in great hopes. It seemed a 'top' place to go. Sadly, it wasnt getting my vote. We went to the main uni talks, and were impressed, but then we were sent to the bottom of this ugly tower block, thats supposed to be the architecture building, for the tour round architecture facilities. Well, that what it said on the info leaflet. In fact, we were took into a lecture theatre (That the architecture department didnt even use) and told how fantastic architecture was, and how they spend most times in the studio, upon me asking for a tour of the studios they responded ' im afraid we cant do that today'. I thought great, ive travelled all this way, and listened to too hours of powerpoint, and weve not even got to see where you spend most of your time, so I didnt even put them into the six offers.

UCL:
i did not visit, but it looked good on the propectus.

i decided i wanted to put dundee first, because i like it most, but because they gave me an BBC offer, it seemed daft to put newcastle or liverpool below it.
Farid Daim

And Amy, I know you've already advised not to work and all, but do you think an average of 2-3 hours of working perday would affect my studies? I'm an international, I have 20 hours weekly cap, and I need all the extra money I can get.

From my experiences at Cambridge, YES, it would have a huge effect. 2-3 hours a day woul be very bad for your studies. 2-3 hours per week might be ok.

THIS IS TO EVERYONE:
ARCHITECTURE TAKES OVER YOUR LIFE!

but youl'll enjoy it!

ArchiBoi

Models are a large, but not the main part. Probably drawing - plans, sections etc is the main part of an architecture students work, but model making comes close.

At Cambridge, there are some essays and maths stuff, but its not of huge importance compared to everything else. Therew ill be some history/maths work wherever you go, but different unis put different empahisis on it.

Latest

Trending

Trending