The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

At Sheffield they talked about £23K when qualified if that's what you mean. I think if you mean when you're working part 2s, not very much as its part time and they are helping you as much as you're helping them. but i don't know for sure, guess it depends a lot on the firm and what they've got you doing, and where you're based.
Reply 81
jrhartley
At Sheffield they talked about £23K when qualified if that's what you mean. I think if you mean when you're working part 2s, not very much as its part time and they are helping you as much as you're helping them. but i don't know for sure, guess it depends a lot on the firm and what they've got you doing, and where you're based.

Pretty much - It won't be much.. probably enough to get by, if that. The big firms (Fosters and Rogers) don't pay very much at all - best to look at established local firms..
Reply 82
can i join

Architecture K100
Firm- London South Bank University
Insurance- University of Greenwich
Reply 83
i havent gone thru all thats been said uptill now, so i dont know if this topic has been covered. but i was curious as to if there are specifis requirements for laptops, i figure there will be programs that ill need to get but like i was planning to buy an apple power book, would that be appropriate? or should i wait till the university starts and then get a laptop they might advise better for the course?
Reply 84
ArchiBoi
lol thats the same with most software though.

I was wondering what kind of pay you get for your first year of work in practice? so i can budget my finances

Oh yes! I've been wondering about this as well.

How much do you get working in the 4th year? (y'know, after part 1)
Reply 85
umaker
i havent gone thru all thats been said uptill now, so i dont know if this topic has been covered. but i was curious as to if there are specifis requirements for laptops, i figure there will be programs that ill need to get but like i was planning to buy an apple power book, would that be appropriate? or should i wait till the university starts and then get a laptop they might advise better for the course?

It has been covered, and as there's only 5 pages you should probably read through the thread and see if there's anything more you might find out.

On laptops - I advise you wait until you get to your university. Some don't even have Macs so if your uni is one of those, there's not much point in buying Powerbook. As I've already said, students usually opt for either - Powerbooks are more expensive though so make sure you look around for the right deals. Additionally, you might find it harder to *acquire* software for Macs.. :wink:
Reply 86
i think we have enough interest and members to consider using an icon now dont you think? it should help potential archi students notice the society and therefore help the students with advice - which is the overal aim of TSR
Reply 87
ArchiBoi
i think we have enough interest and members to consider using an icon now dont you think? it should help potential archi students notice the society and therefore help the students with advice - which is the overal aim of TSR

yeah, good thought. i'm just sorting it out now. i'm presuming we'll use that one of the Swiss Re/Guerkin image then. is that ok with everyone? :tsr:
Hey, i'll join. :smile:

I'll be starting course code K400 at UCL this september.
It's conditional, but its a really easy conditional...
Reply 89
beekeeper_
Hey, i'll join. :smile:

I'll be starting course code K400 at UCL this september.
It's conditional, but its a really easy conditional...

ooo, cool, i'll put you down :biggrin:
which is the K400? is it an RIBA one, or not?
OMG, UCL looked so good. lucky you :p: silly people didn't give me an offer :frown: :biggrin:
Reply 90
just being nosey what exactly is your offer. oh and yes to guerkinS!
Reply 91
what are guerkins?

and UCL rejected me for K100 as well.

oh well, it's their loss. :P
gherkin is the colloquial name for foster's phallic tower in the city of london, now mostly occupied by Swiss Re: unsurprisingly for Foster, the exterior is comprised of lots of pieces of triangular glass....!
Reply 93
is it the same tower people call St. Mary Axe?
Reply 94
Farid Daim
is it the same tower people call St. Mary Axe?

i think so yeah, or its known as the cigar or something.
this is it:
http://www.track0.com/japh/archive/images/swiss_re5-08-19-04.jpg
and
http://archrecord.construction.com/projects/portfolio/archives/images/0406swissRe.jpg
Reply 95
we'd be using the first image, but downsized, which i've done already for when we can use it :p:
Reply 96
Yeap, that's it. St Mary Axe. That's a sweet one, huh?

Do you know each floor is rotated by a certain degree?
Reply 97
Farid Daim
Yeap, that's it. St Mary Axe. That's a sweet one, huh?

Do you know each floor is rotated by a certain degree?

lol, yeah, and there's something about the stair cases being almost like an unravelled orange peel kindof shape within the building i think.
shame they don't allow visiters inside, i reckon they'd probably make some money out of it too!
Reply 98
rmyl
lol, yeah, and there's something about the stair cases being almost like an unravelled orange peel kindof shape within the building i think.
shame they don't allow visiters inside, i reckon they'd probably make some money out of it too!

I'm pretty sure it'll be one of the buildings open to the public during Architecture Week.
Reply 99
pradster
I'm pretty sure it'll be one of the buildings open to the public during Architecture Week.

ooo, whens that??

Latest

Trending

Trending