The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=316889

I've begun yet another campaign to get a subforum for Architecture & Built Environment courses. Please visit the link above and show your support :smile:.
Praddles
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=316889

I've begun yet another campaign to get a subforum for Architecture & Built Environment courses. Please visit the link above and show your support :smile:.
I have posted :tsr2:
Praddles
Architecture is a popular course - the more popular universities get thousands of applicants (Nottingham has 25 applicants per place!) but less popular universities are often undersubscribed. You need to make sure your personal statement is a killer - a lot of people will have top grades, but a lot of admission tutors for architecture are very much interested in what you write in your personal statement.

Would it be an advantage if she has some of the grades already (even though she's doing more)?

Realistically, very few architect students leave university and start up their own practice - mainly because nobody wants to employ someone who's inexperienced. Would you want the doctor who's fresh out of medical school or the surgeon with 20 years experience to operate on you? Also, you learn skills in university, but you also learn a hell of a lot in practice from other architects. And like I said, it's important to build up contacts so that when you feel you are ready to start up your own practice, you can get work. There's no point starting a practice if nobody's going to hire you.. :wink:

So it is possible to set up her own practice, just after she gets experience first?

I recommend she does either art or maths (or both!). Universities rarely reply to individual circumstance unfortunately, but if she has a family member or friend who's in the profession she should try and see if she can shadow them. Chances of getting a work placement with an architecture firm is slim if you're not already a student unfortunately.

Thats a shame but shell probbly ring up some companies and see if she can shadow someone.

My own predicted grades were all A grades and I got all As in my finals. :smile: It's not all about grades though - you have to show a real desire to study architecture and her personal statement should reflect her passion for the subject.

well done :smile:

ok those are all the questions for now but I might have more later!
Reply 1083
Why are we still posting here!! To the new Architecture & Built Environment Subforum!!! w000t!!
Reply 1084
Is this going to cause me problems?!

I have an interview at UCL on wednesday but ive only today received the letter from them with the details - its dated nov 8th - our post is terrible.

The letter includes a form which says it should be sent back IMMEDIATELY, its now nearly two weeks late......

Latest

Trending

Trending