The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Catherine.
I'm starting Year 12 (Year 11 in England) tomorrow! :eek3: I'm not too stressed out atm, but the only subjects I'm worrying about are English/English Lit...we've done 2 pieces of coursework and most of 'To Kill a Mockingbird'. We have 'Our Town' to do for our play, and two other pieces of coursework (Persuasive and Creative Writing) as well as preparation for Talking & Listening, which just seems like so much to have to do! I'm just stressing about the subjects I want to do for A-Level 'cos I want to do well in them, like French, Spanish, RE, etc. I'm gonna start re-learning orals, because I learnt them in great haste last year, cue a lot of panicking!

I've no idea when I'm gonna start revising. :s-smilie: For mocks, maybe about October/November? (They begin in early February), and for the real thing, about end of February, early March?

Good luck :biggrin:

good luck :smile:
so your in sixth form?
i've done quite abit of coursework in english too :smile:

Acta Non Verba
Start revision A.S.A.P.

how early? :frown:
Reply 41
my mocks start early december so im going to begin revision early october but mainly maths revision because my real gcse exam is in the november.
Reply 42
emmakh123
my mocks start early december so im going to begin revision early october but mainly maths revision because my real gcse exam is in the november.

okies :]
mine are starting early jan' after xmas' holidays but i'll be starting as soon as school starts :]
x
I've already done year 11 but oh well. With mocks I didn't revise, my excuse was that it shows what I know well without revision and helped plan revision (that I never did :erm:) for the real things better :yep:

So don't do what I did...
Reply 44
letsdothetimewarpagain
I've already done year 11 but oh well. With mocks I didn't revise, my excuse was that it shows what I know well without revision and helped plan revision (that I never did :erm:) for the real things better :yep:

So don't do what I did...

lol, what did you get? :unsure:
and you got any good revision techniques?
:]
Reply 45
where's
letsdothetimewarpagin
gone; she won't reply ;o
My mocks are this week.
I had English on Monday, Drama & English on Tuesday, History & Maths today and I have Geography & AS RE tomorrow, plus Science on Friday..
I feel I've done well so far, apart from Maths - which I completely screwed up but that's natural for me as I'm rubbish at Maths.
I revised especially hard in History so I'm hoping to get my A/A* in that and my Year 10 mock for Drama was 2 marks off an A so I want my A in that this year :smile:
DWClark
Mine were last week :smile: Some of the teachers are really quick at marking and we got them back already! 3 marks off an A* in English Language and 10 marks off an A in Maths overall. Music exam tomorrow, they messed up and made us all get up early for an 8.30 exam but couldn't find the CD so it was cancelled.

My school's holding a practice results day. How horrible is that.
They're putting it on similar paper in a similar layout to how it'll actually be and everything.
It's horrible. & not for another 3 weeks. :eek:
My mocks are jan/feb, not too sure yet. Ive started revising in the sense that the science teachers have been giving us tests but we havent finished learning all of it yet. I suppose if I start revising early, Ill be grateful later. I didnt nothing during the summer and half term holidays :P One friend who took GCSEs last year told me I dont have to bother revising till a few weeks before. But then again, shes a brain and got all A*s apart from one.
I did two GCSEs that involved exams last year so I'm pretty clued up on this whole revision thing.
In Maths I only got an A though I really wanted an A*, there was literally no way I could've got an A* since most of the hardest questions were just impossible to revise for... they were complex forms of things that you learn and you just need the initiative to be able to answer them.

In French I got an A*, which literally made all the work seem worthwhile. What was most effective for revising for my orals (which I got full marks on) was sitting outside and just remembering one sentence at a time until I could recite the whole topic without thinking about it. For the other exams it was much easier, I literally did no revision for them and they went well too so I don't know what I can say about revising.

I retook science module b1b after only getting a C and was delighted to see I got full marks. Basically, what it was about was just making notes on all the things I didn't know, but make sure that you say them out loud and actually absorb the information. Try to make connections between things and it helps if you understand everything. I'm taking two retakes next Friday and to be honest I'm petrified, I've revised loads and tried practice papers but sometimes practice papers just knock your confidence. I really don't recommend them unless you're doing a straightforward exam that won't take long.

For written exams it's important that you know everything. Don't ever hesitate to sit down and read through the whole of your revision guide, but make sure you don't feel uncomfortable, that you actually want to do it. Otherwise your brain just won't take in the information.

For mocks, teachers are especially helpful. My class was supposed to be doing English last year so we had already done a mock and our teacher is helping us to understand exactly where we went wrong and telling us exactly what to do. In History we're being set a practice question every week, this feels like a big stress to me but I know it'll help me to get at least a B in my mocks. If your teachers don't help you as much as you want them to, just take the initiative to do something about it.

Wow, I wrote a lot.
Reply 50
Woow this thread is quiet. :redface: Must be all the heavy revision.:p: But yeah, did the mocks, and got all As. :smile: (we don't get A*s at this stage) and I was pretty pleased, considering I could have done more revision than I did. :-) When's everyone gonna start revising for the real thing? I do two languages and the orals are at the beginning of May so I'm gonna start learning those soon..
Reply 51
Haven't started proper revision yet but I will soon :biggrin:. Most of my subjects I'm fine with, getting As/A*s in my mocks but my french is awful.

So I'll probably start practising my french orals very soon :smile:. I wanna do well in french! But at the end of the day I'll be happy with an A in french. I'm predicted A in history too... But I really want to do A-Level History because I just love the subject, so I'm hoping to revise my ass off and get that A*! :biggrin:.

Oh yeah, dead thread O.o'
im starting to revise now for my exams coming up in the summer (im in year 10 btw). i chose to take stats and french and some others early...
I haven't started revision, and my French oral is less than 2 months away :frown: :frown: I still have loads of pending coursework which is getting in the way...very annoying! AND my Biology teacher and other subjects still haven't finished the whole course which is frustrating.

Latest