The Student Room Group

The TOP Pharmacy Universities

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
And If you ask me ,dear Redfanatic, apply to the following five:
King's Pharmacy, LSOP Pharmacy, Manchester Pharmacy, Bath Pharmacy, Portsmouth or LJMU Pharmacy as 5th Choice. The 5th choice is a back up choice so they must not be very highly ranked and the 2 I advised u are both located in excellent lovely cities.
Thanks for your opinion Johny992, but of course that's entirely subjective and as admissions tutors we dont necessarily get to see your rankings in terms of choices of uni and in any case we dont base our decision on whether or not you put us as first choice. What we will see, however, is your choice of course at other unis, e.g. if all your other choices are for medicine. FYI- Portsmouth and LJMU are absolutely fine, LJMU in particular is the 2nd oldest school of pharmacy. I think this speaks louder in terms of experience than artificial buttered up rankings where universities can cheat the system by adding grade 8 recorder into their average UCAS points per applicant criteria. If you fancy living in either city for 4 years, go for it as for the MPharm, they are all pretty similar.
Reply 42
pharmgirl

Hey, you seem like you know a lot about pharmacy and im thinking of applying so id like to ask..
Why do people who apply for medicine, apply for pharmacy cuz they both completely different?
and what attracts people to studying pharmacy? becuase like your just dealing with drugs and prescriptions?
also, what other jobs can you get with a pharmacy degree besides being a pharmacist and makind drug prrescriptions etc?
Reply 43
this is useful thread..i am trying to pursue my career as pharmacy technician. Do pharmacy technicians need a degree ? I think pharmacists need a degree.
yotech
this is useful thread..i am trying to pursue my career as pharmacy technician. Do pharmacy technicians need a degree ? I think pharmacists need a degree.

no, you don't....its a 2 year course (I do believe its also a BTEC/NVQ lvl3?) and hey presto, you are a techie...

to be a pharmacist..you need a degree
Reply 45
pharmgirl
Thanks for your opinion Johny992, but of course that's entirely subjective and as admissions tutors we dont necessarily get to see your rankings in terms of choices of uni and in any case we dont base our decision on whether or not you put us as first choice. What we will see, however, is your choice of course at other unis, e.g. if all your other choices are for medicine. FYI- Portsmouth and LJMU are absolutely fine, LJMU in particular is the 2nd oldest school of pharmacy. I think this speaks louder in terms of experience than artificial buttered up rankings where universities can cheat the system by adding grade 8 recorder into their average UCAS points per applicant criteria. If you fancy living in either city for 4 years, go for it as for the MPharm, they are all pretty similar.

hi you seem to know alot about pharmacy..so i was wandering if you could answer the following questions please :smile:
firstly iv done some overshadowing of a pharmacist..but it was only for about 3 days..and she didnt really make me do anything..just sit there while she explained everything..it was very insightful and i did learn alot..so does this count for work experience? and is this enough?
also (this may sound like a stuipid question ) but why do some universities ask for higher gardes such as manchester who ask for aab compared to a university like reading who ask for bbb?
As a matter of interest, Guardian league tables have just been published. A few surprises! I think the new schools of pharmacy are becoming a force to be reckoned with (but that's just my prediction!)

http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/table/2011/may/17/university-guide-pharmacy-pharmacology
Original post by henna123
hi you seem to know alot about pharmacy..so i was wandering if you could answer the following questions please :smile:
firstly iv done some overshadowing of a pharmacist..but it was only for about 3 days..and she didnt really make me do anything..just sit there while she explained everything..it was very insightful and i did learn alot..so does this count for work experience? and is this enough?
also (this may sound like a stuipid question ) but why do some universities ask for higher gardes such as manchester who ask for aab compared to a university like reading who ask for bbb?

Any work experience is better than none. Ypu might get asked about what you learned from it, so get it across that it helped you see roles for pharmacists that you perhaps werent aware of previously.

For offers- its purely about competition. Manchester is well established and has the rep, so they are very oversubscribed. Reading are a new school of pharmacy (though see my post above) and dont get as many applications. It doesnt seem fair but that's how it works! It is no reflection on the difficulty of the course whatsoever.
As of today Huddersfield is the 'Best' university for pharmacy. No-one saw that coming! I love The Guardian and their utterly bizarre way of judging how good a course is!

http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/table/2011/may/17/university-guide-pharmacy-pharmacology

That's my input into this never ending post for the coming 12 months i think. Just to screw with everyone who thinks that the only schools worth going to are in London or Manchester :tongue:
Original post by pharmgirl
As a matter of interest, Guardian league tables have just been published. A few surprises! I think the new schools of pharmacy are becoming a force to be reckoned with (but that's just my prediction!)

You beat me! As soon as i saw the league table i thought of TSR and the bedlam it would cause if people saw the new league!
Original post by TigerSwift
You beat me! As soon as i saw the league table i thought of TSR and the bedlam it would cause if people saw the new league!

I know which is why I put it on here! What are all the Astonettes going to say?tee hee :tongue:
Original post by TigerSwift
As of today Huddersfield is the 'Best' university for pharmacy. No-one saw that coming! I love The Guardian and their utterly bizarre way of judging how good a course is!

Huddersfield is a great pharmacy course! I love it here !
Original post by pharmasaurusRx
Huddersfield is a great pharmacy course! I love it here !

It is a good course. I know a number of students who study there and it seems really forward thinking. I am sure the fact you have an ex-RPSGB president (and amazing community pharmacist just for good measure) is helping the course become different from the rest.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending