The Student Room Group

English A-Levels :)

Is it that hard? Im doing joint lit and lang for my english A-level and i had an A in lit and a B in language. Do you think i'll cope well with it?? Cause i'm not really sure what to excpect..

Also, i noticed that a part of my course was to do '2 creative assignments accompanied by a commentary.' What do you think this means exactly? I thought it meant you just had to basically write an explanation on what you did. But some have said that I may have to do a speech on my assignments. :eek: And doing a speech infront of the class is a bigg fear of mine.

Cheers. :]

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
i did lang/lit combined at a level. some people said to me before i started it was the easy english-it's deffo not, but with and a and b you should be fine..if you work hard, you will be able to do it.. also, i didn't have to do a speech or anything. the commentary is just a written piece basically analysing your own writing. :smile:
Reply 2
english a level is a mickey mouse subject- do something useful like maths
Danules

How do you know I'm not doing Maths too? Hmmmm?
Reply 4
Peachesishere

I did say like, so I was giving an example from the set of real subjects (namely maths, f maths, physics, chem and bio for further detail see the mickey mouse subject thread)
Reply 5
sundogs
tw*t

Have you heard of ad hominem?
Danules
I did say like, so I was giving an example from the set of real subjects (namely maths, f maths, physics, chem and bio for further detail see the mickey mouse subject thread)

I can guess you aren't very good at english are you? ;] Or anything that involves some sort of creativity.
Why did you put biology on that list? Just wandering...
Reply 7
Oohhh are you going into AS or A2? Because your course sounds very similar to mine :smile: I'm starting A2 though. And my coursework is two creative pieces, one is a transcript, the other a speech. And the third piece is a commentary of either one of the two, and it's upto us which we choose to commentate about, though my teacher said it will far easier to analyse the speech than the transcript.

I did language for a few weeks and then moved to the combined course. It's basically just a cross between the two. It's not going to be language seperate, and literature seperate. What you do is look at literary texts (which wouldn't normally happen in the straight Language course) but then you use Language features to analyse the texts :smile: So, for example, we did pre 1900 poetry - & were taught about different features to analyse such as different types of alliteration, different kinds of nouns, verbs, adjectives. Etc. It is pretty complex and it is very technical because you have to learn a lot of key words and grammatical features. But it's not bad :smile:

EDIT: I got two A's at gcse, so not much different than you :smile:
Peachesishere

Don't pay attention to him. He's a troll.

Are you doing AQA?
I think you will be fine :biggrin: I got a B in eng lit gcse and easily got an A at AS :woo:
Yeah you'll be fine. I got A in Lang and A in Lit at GCSE. Came out with a B in English at A Level.
Danules

Idiot.
Reply 12
Peachesishere
I can guess you aren't very good at english are you? ;] Or anything that involves some sort of creativity.
Why did you put biology on that list? Just wandering...

biology is a real science- can only do 4 a levels at my school.

I am actually very good at english- and quite creative- certainly i often think outside the box

by mickey mouse subject, I mean english is a joke subject in that once you can speak it, why do you need to do stuff like comparative literature- its useless (there are other current threads talking about this which i am being neg repped for having blunt views) and completely subjective
sundogs
tw*t

what he said
Reply 14
Danules

retard.

Danules

I am actually very good at english- and quite creative- certainly i often think outside the box

by mickey mouse subject, I mean english is a joke subject in that once you can speak it, why do you need to do stuff like comparative literature- its useless (there are other current threads talking about this which i am being neg repped for having blunt views) and completely subjective

Same could be said for maths. After knowing how to divide, multiply, times and subtract, who the **** is gonna need to know the circumference of a circle and quadratic equations to get them through life?
mel0n
Oohhh are you going into AS or A2? Because your course sounds very similar to mine :smile: I'm starting A2 though. And my coursework is two creative pieces, one is a transcript, the other a speech. And the third piece is a commentary of either one of the two, and it's upto us which we choose to commentate about, though my teacher said it will far easier to analyse the speech than the transcript.

I did language for a few weeks and then moved to the combined course. It's basically just a cross between the two. It's not going to be language seperate, and literature seperate. What you do is look at literary texts (which wouldn't normally happen in the straight Language course) but then you use Language features to analyse the texts :smile: So, for example, we did pre 1900 poetry - & were taught about different features to analyse such as different types of alliteration, different kinds of nouns, verbs, adjectives. Etc. It is pretty complex and it is very technical because you have to learn a lot of key words and grammatical features. But it's not bad :smile:

EDIT: I got two A's at gcse, so not much different than you :smile:

I'm going into AS. :]
I think my course is quite different to yours by the sounds though. I think mine is quite seperate, for one part we analyse texts and for another we have to do some creative writing. Like a comedy scetch or a radio script they said ( :confused: ) By the sounds of it, I would much rather do your course though! I'd much rather analyse texts than create my own.

Ohh I expect you'll find the course a bit easier than me then haha. I'll just have to work really hard I guess. Easier said than done though :redface:!
Reply 16
Peachesishere
I'm going into AS. :]
I think my course is quite different to yours by the sounds though. I think mine is quite seperate, for one part we analyse texts and for another we have to do some creative writing. Like a comedy scetch or a radio script they said ( :confused: ) By the sounds of it, I would much rather do your course though! I'd much rather analyse texts than create my own.

Ohh I expect you'll find the course a bit easier than me then haha. I'll just have to work really hard I guess. Easier said than done though :redface:!

Aahhh we had to analyse texts and stuff for our exam prep. The poems we learnt etc were for the exam, because any one out of the 25/30 could have come up. We also had two books that we read and learnt during the year, which we were asked a comparative question on during the exam.

The coursework on the other hand is where we have to write our own stuff. For AS I had to do a persuasive text and a monologue, and then a commentary of the two. :smile: So it was quite leveled out between the two.
Reply 17
Danules

You again. Aren't you getting tired of being wrong? Or are you trying to get banned on purpose?
Reply 18
littletinysmall
Honestly, English Literature is a LOT more respected than the lang-lit option, which is really quite looked down on. It may be worthwhile to do this instead.

Do you think so? It probably is, I'm not arguing with that. But universities do state that they will take Literature or the combined course. I know it's not as good as Literature on it's own, but I don't think it's as looked down upon as your post seems to come across. :h: I've always heard of Language on it's own that is looked down upon, compared to Literature that is.
Reply 19
Danules

That sums you up in a nutshell

Latest