The Student Room Group

Conditional places - please explain :)

I'm interested in studying Law, and am intending on applying to universities with asking grades of about 3A's such as LSE, UCL etc. Currently doing my AS-levels but don't think i'll meet these grade requirements when results come out. I got 6A*s and 4As at GCSE level, but was was interested in your thoughts as to whether these universities would still offer me a conditional place of 3A's at A-levels? Im confident that I can get these grades at A-levels, but im sure ive messed up the AS exams I have just sat and realise that universities will question them. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
h1nna
I'm interested in studying Law, and am intending on applying to universities with asking grades of about 3A's such as LSE, UCL etc. Currently doing my AS-levels but don't think i'll meet these grade requirements when results come out. I got 6A*s and 4As at GCSE level, but was was interested in your thoughts as to whether these universities would still offer me a conditional place of 3A's at A-levels? Im confident that I can get these grades at A-levels, but im sure ive messed up the AS exams I have just sat and realise that universities will question them. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

univeristies aren't allowed to see your actual grades and UMS marks apart from oxbridge i think....
.....therefore if you are predicted 3A's then you will be alright...but your school will only predict you 3a's if you have them or if they knwo you as a hrdworking student who slipped up once and got AAB/ABB or something, but they still think 3A'S is realistic for you.....anyway as long as you are predicted 3A's you should be fine :smile:

and dont worry im sure your AS results wont be as bad as you think :smile:
Oxbridge can only see your UMS marks if you SEND THEM OFF to the college.
And that's only if they ask.
In my year, only the Cambridge lads had to send their UMS marks off...
Reply 3
Yeah, I've only heard of Cambridge asking for UMS points.

First, don't worry. If you did so well in your GCSEs you may have done just as well in your AS levels. I thought I had totally messed up a couple of papers last year and actually it turned out I had done really well.

Second, some schools do not certificate their AS-levels and so, I think, in these cases it's not compulsory to disclose your AS grades on your UCAS form. You really should check what your school's policy is on this. It is, I'm afraid, unlikely that a top 10 university would consider you with BBB(B) at AS. Even if your teachers predict AAA, they'd proabably still think you intended to resit, which I think is frowned upon. If, however, you have AAB you stand a much better chance but you really have to convince them you'd be capable of getting AAA. Law's getting more and more competitive and you have to realise that the competition is very strong.

Good luck with your second year and don't worry too much about 18 August.
Reply 4
All uni's will able to see your UMS marks for applications for 2006 entry...sucks...
Reply 5
Sami C
All uni's will able to see your UMS marks for applications for 2006 entry...sucks...

I *wish* all my UMS marks had been visible. :frown:
Reply 6
I *wish* all my UMS marks had been visible.

Yeah I know how you feel. It's frustrating when people tell you they scraped through with 240 and yet they have better offers. I'm getting really competitive, I'll stop now.
Reply 7
ryan342
Yeah I know how you feel. It's frustrating when people tell you they scraped through with 240 and yet they have better offers. I'm getting really competitive, I'll stop now.

*Exactly.* People with A grades that are much, much lower than your own (But still an A grade, and still a fab achievement I know.) I can't help but feel if we're going to use A levels as a deciding factor, they should be used extensively.

D xxx
Well I only got on average 515 or so for my A-levels. If they just used UMS marks I wouldn't have stood a chance :frown: (although I wouldn't have applied for law in this case).

That said, most people applying won't have finished their A-levels yet, creating a new problem: Do you take someone who already has low A's, or give a conditional AAA offer to someone likely to get higher marks? Or do you just give conditional offers based on UMS marks?? :eek: Imagine all the people who'd miss out by 1 or 2 marks even though they still got A's!
Reply 9
Yeh I think only Oxbridge asks for your UMS mark - otherwise unis just get your grade.

Yeh they do see your actual grade, to whoever it was that says they don't? :confused: Or did you mean they don't see how high you are in the grade you got - as in, the UMS?

If you really did mess up you can always decline the grade anyway which means unis don't see what grade you got at AS.
Onearmedbandit
Well I only got on average 515 or so for my A-levels. If they just used UMS marks I wouldn't have stood a chance :frown: (although I wouldn't have applied for law in this case).

That said, most people applying won't have finished their A-levels yet, creating a new problem: Do you take someone who already has low A's, or give a conditional AAA offer to someone likely to get higher marks? Or do you just give conditional offers based on UMS marks?? :eek: Imagine all the people who'd miss out by 1 or 2 marks even though they still got A's!

But Mike, surely that's little different to people who miss out on a grade by a couple of marks (478/479)? :biggrin:

I wrote my "good" UMS subject totals on my personal statement.

I excluded by crappy scores. :smile:

If only we could transfer UMS points though ... I'm in some deep crap in one of my subjects. :frown: Going to come down to the wire ...
I disagree. Mainly because I'm gonna be lucky to scrape my 3 A's at A-Level, but I honestly don't think it makes me a less suitable candidate for a law degree, I've come through a ***** state school in an academically weak location, made one or two bad choices for subjects and I think if I acheive AAA I've proved myself sufficiently well to be able to perform well at degree level.
Lottelo
But Mike, surely that's little different to people who miss out on a grade by a couple of marks (478/479)? :biggrin:

I wrote my "good" UMS subject totals on my personal statement.

I excluded by crappy scores. :smile:

If only we could transfer UMS points though ... I'm in some deep crap in one of my subjects. :frown: Going to come down to the wire ...

Not really. The difference is that if you fail to get 478/479 then you get a B :smile: Whereas if you miss a target of, say, 580.. getting 579, you've still got a very high A but failed in your offer! Also it'd be harder for students to know what's required of them to meet such high targets.

Anyway, it would be silly to ask for extremely high marks. Even the very best student can't always get top marks and end up with a 'low' A grade.
Asking for marks in UMS Totals might make for a bit more flexibilty in the system actually. If you were asked to get say, 1500 UMS points in your 3 A Levels you could either get 500/500/500 (AAA) or equally get 580/460/460 (ABB) and still make your offer.
Onearmedbandit
Not really. The difference is that if you fail to get 478/479 then you get a B :smile: Whereas if you miss a target of, say, 580.. getting 579, you've still got a very high A but failed in your offer! Also it'd be harder for students to know what's required of them to meet such high targets.

Anyway, it would be silly to ask for extremely high marks. Even the very best student can't always get top marks and end up with a 'low' A grade.

Well, what I meant was that it was incrediably similar to someone missing a grade boundary by a couple of marks as opposed to a UMS total offer by a couple of marks.

The only difference is that the marks are different.

Never mind, I've confused myself now anyway. :smile:
ForeverDecember
Asking for marks in UMS Totals might make for a bit more flexibilty in the system actually. If you were asked to get say, 1500 UMS points in your 3 A Levels you could either get 500/500/500 (AAA) or equally get 580/460/460 (ABB) and still make your offer.

Yes, that's more like it :smile:

Lottelo - the real difference is that in one case you have a B and in the other you have an A. Failing to achieve 480 is quite different to failing 580 is quite different really. If I wasn't so stupid I could articulate a better response :smile: Oh well.
Reply 16
Teachers at my school typically indicate the mark actually got... if it was just an A they will say he got an A; if its say 280/300 they say he scored 280/300 in the reference; which is an interesting idea I suppose.

More than the AS-level issue; are you really confident that you can get an A at A-level? The A2-levels are harder topics than in the AS-level; and an A-level is made up of half the AS and half the A2. As a result, if you messed up your AS, and say got a mid-B at AS, and a mid-range A at A2, you might only end up with a high B overall. I know that if in these ASs I only came out with a few Bs (unless it was really marginal) I would probably struggle to get As overall (unless I worked super hard).

But don't worry, im sure you will do fine :smile: Many many people I know think they did really bad in their ASes (they cant all have failed!) and people in the year above say they think they failed but actually did fine :smile:
Im sure youll get the grades you deserve in the end.
Onearmedbandit

Lottelo - the real difference is that in one case you have a B and in the other you have an A. Failing to achieve 480 is quite different to failing 580 is quite different really. If I wasn't so stupid I could articulate a better response :smile: Oh well.

Hmm, I can see what you mean there. What we have to consider is that if offers were based on UMS Grades we'd see the likes of Oxford & Cambridge asking for the implict A* Grade at A-Level (because, logically, 90% should be an A*) by requiring 540 points.
Sleep

More than the AS-level issue; are you really confident that you can get an A at A-level? The A2-levels are harder topics than in the AS-level; and an A-level is made up of half the AS and half the A2. As a result, if you messed up your AS, and say got a mid-B at AS, and a mid-range A at A2, you might only end up with a high B overall.

I got a C in AS History and still think I can manage an A this year. One resit can make a hell of a lot of difference.
Reply 19
Yeah, thats true, re-sits can re-make your AS grade. But thats what you have to do: the AS and A2 argument is still valid; re-sits are just improving the AS part.

Latest

Trending

Trending