The Student Room Group

Reallllllly messed up uni decision... help!!

ok so as I posted in an earlier thread a couple of weeks ago, I got my 1st choice of uni on resukts day and was happy but as I wasnt expecting to get the grades to go I had not prepared myself at all at the prospect I would be moving away, I had only really considered geting the grades to go to my insurance choice (local uni) so was mega shocked when I got into my 1st choice!

After lots of tears, thinking and a bit of parental persuasion I dropped out of my 1st choice, literally half an hour after I did so I got a letter in the post saying I had won a scholarship for the 1st choice uni, I rang up straight away to see if it was correct, they said it was and I explained how I had dropped out 30 mins before and they said that they would ring around and try and sort it out so I could retract that and still get my place. The guy dealing with this said he would ring me back...never did and after ringing numerous numbers I couldnt get back in contct with him.

I reallllllllllllllllllllllllly regret my decision. It was a rash decision when I was feeling overwhelmed and scared and in the meantime my insurance choice uni has gone through. I then contacted the 1st choice and 1 woman said it might be poss to get offer reinstated but another one said it wouldnt be. Im so confused and gutted I understand now I will have lost out on the scholarship but I have made a decision that I want to go to my 1st choice uni even if I dont get the scholarship! I understand my stupidity and nerves has brought this one myself but any advice? should I pursue ringing them? Who is the best person to speak to? aaaaaah any help will be much appriciated!
Reply 1
Nothing we can do... speak to head of department, anyone with power.
Reply 2
alsooooo how did you get the scholarship? had you applied for one?
Reply 3
What university was it :O?
you'll just have to keep contacting the university until you get your answer
Reply 5
zmg
OP
Yes i applied for one but didnt get it, but then I got a letter saying a got another one...
Reply 6
zmg
OP
leeds uni
Sorry to hear that. Though I wouldn't have waited on the scholarship person to sort it out. I would of called the university back.
Its too late now I suppose. You could try and see if they would give you the scholarship next year? And take a year out...
I remember reading your post a few weeks ago.

Don't mean to be rude, but how on earth could choose Northumbria University over University of Leeds???!!!! :eek3: Leeds is a far better and far more respectable university than Northumbria.

Leeds is a very oversubcribed university so the chances of you regaining your offer after you rejected it are very slim.
Reply 9
Could be Leeds Met.
Rocafella
Could be Leeds Met.

No, I remember reading the OP's post a few weeks ago, it was definitely the University of Leeds. :eek3:
O.P. any news yet?
Reply 12
zmg
OP
Yeah it was university of leeds, well Northumbria is my local university as I live in Newcastle so it wasnt really about which one was better. To be honest I didnt expect to get the grades to get into leeds so hadnt prepared myself at all at the prospect that I would be going! And nope nothing, rang round today but Im not holding out any hope anymore... running out of people to hassle!
zmg
Yeah it was university of leeds, well Northumbria is my local university as I live in Newcastle so it wasnt really about which one was better. To be honest I didnt expect to get the grades to get into leeds so hadnt prepared myself at all at the prospect that I would be going! And nope nothing, rang round today but Im not holding out any hope anymore... running out of people to hassle!

Sorry, to hear that mate. It doesn't sound too good to be honest but keep on trying. Make sure you wake up early and phone them from 9am.

Why don't you take a gap year and apply to Leeds next year?

As I mentioned before, Leeds is a very popular university so the chances of you regaining your offer after you rejected it are very slim. :frown:
Reply 14
Can't you call the director of admission or something? I'm pretty sure you're gonna get in.
Reply 15
I think you've probably had it now. Wow that was a great opportunity missed. I suggest you either accept your decision and get on with your insurance or re-apply next year. Why would you put somewhere as firm without thinking of moving to the place? What course were you applying for?
Evabell
I think you've probably had it now. Wow that was a great opportunity missed. I suggest you either accept your decision and get on with your insurance or re-apply next year. Why would you put somewhere as firm without thinking of moving to the place? What course were you applying for?

I agree with you. That was a great opportunity missed. As I said, how on earth could choose Northumbria University over University of Leeds???!!!! Regardless or not of wheter Northumbira is your local university, Leeds is much better. My local university is at the bottom of the league tables but I attended a top 20 university about 100 miles away just because of it's academic standing.

As mentioned you should accept your decision and get on with your insurance or re-apply next year.
zmg
ok so as I posted in an earlier thread a couple of weeks ago, I got my 1st choice of uni on resukts day and was happy but as I wasnt expecting to get the grades to go I had not prepared myself at all at the prospect I would be moving away, I had only really considered geting the grades to go to my insurance choice (local uni) so was mega shocked when I got into my 1st choice!

After lots of tears, thinking and a bit of parental persuasion I dropped out of my 1st choice, literally half an hour after I did so I got a letter in the post saying I had won a scholarship for the 1st choice uni, I rang up straight away to see if it was correct, they said it was and I explained how I had dropped out 30 mins before and they said that they would ring around and try and sort it out so I could retract that and still get my place. The guy dealing with this said he would ring me back...never did and after ringing numerous numbers I couldnt get back in contct with him.

I reallllllllllllllllllllllllly regret my decision. It was a rash decision when I was feeling overwhelmed and scared and in the meantime my insurance choice uni has gone through. I then contacted the 1st choice and 1 woman said it might be poss to get offer reinstated but another one said it wouldnt be. Im so confused and gutted I understand now I will have lost out on the scholarship but I have made a decision that I want to go to my 1st choice uni even if I dont get the scholarship! I understand my stupidity and nerves has brought this one myself but any advice? should I pursue ringing them? Who is the best person to speak to? aaaaaah any help will be much appriciated!

Hi mate, any news yet? Did Leeds contact you back? :confused:
Reply 18
zmg
OP
T. Hereford
Hi mate, any news yet? Did Leeds contact you back? :confused:

Hi, yeah they did and same old, they don't have room on the course bla bla bla obv its oversubscribed as its law, but I have to kinda accept it was my fault! Iv started at northumbria and really enjoy it so far, im still kinda contemplating gap year and re applying to leeds but i dont know why as northumbria is good, i think mainly cos Im still living at home and stuff and want the experience of new city! So im considering gap year moving to italy for a year then going to leeds but i really dont know!

Latest

Trending

Trending