The Student Room Group

Should I go uni, apprenticeship or..

I'm studying three subjects (business, health & social care, sport studies) they don't really bring me happiness and I don't see myself in them at all. University isn't probably the right choice for me since I've got a 4 in maths.. Apprenticeship might be the right choice but.. what should I do? How do I find out what interests me and will bring me happiness? because I don't want to be stuck by doing one job for the entire life with a minimum wage as well. this is so difficult.
Reply 1
Do you have anything you enjoy/can see yourself doing as a career?
Reply 2
Original post by rwnsl
Do you have anything you enjoy/can see yourself doing as a career?

the problem is that I don't..
Reply 3
Original post by yugenzi
the problem is that I don't..

I'd have a good think about what you'd like to do in the long-term, but there's also no pressure for you to plan the rest of your life right now! If you don't enjoy what you're studying and don't know what you would enjoy, maybe consider if you'd like going to uni at all - there are a wide range of subjects so you can likely find something you're passionate about, whether it's considered more of a 'hobby' or not. An apprenticeship does 'lock you in' to a career to an extent, so that may not be the right path if you don't know what you'd like to do, but you can also change your mind later on even with an apprenticeship! It may just not be relevant to the career you end up in.

However, if there's truly nothing you can see yourself doing right now I'd consider taking a gap year and taking some time off to think about your plans. There's a lot of pressure put on us to decide what we'd like to do from quite a young age, and it's not always easy.
Reply 4
Original post by rwnsl
I'd have a good think about what you'd like to do in the long-term, but there's also no pressure for you to plan the rest of your life right now! If you don't enjoy what you're studying and don't know what you would enjoy, maybe consider if you'd like going to uni at all - there are a wide range of subjects so you can likely find something you're passionate about, whether it's considered more of a 'hobby' or not. An apprenticeship does 'lock you in' to a career to an extent, so that may not be the right path if you don't know what you'd like to do, but you can also change your mind later on even with an apprenticeship! It may just not be relevant to the career you end up in.

However, if there's truly nothing you can see yourself doing right now I'd consider taking a gap year and taking some time off to think about your plans. There's a lot of pressure put on us to decide what we'd like to do from quite a young age, and it's not always easy.

thank you so much. I'll have a look around university websites and see what I can do and what I can't. Thank you for explaining the apprenticeship part as well, I think I can't take a gap year anymore, since I've messed up the first year after high school, practically wasted the first 6 months.
Reply 5
Original post by yugenzi
thank you so much. I'll have a look around university websites and see what I can do and what I can't. Thank you for explaining the apprenticeship part as well, I think I can't take a gap year anymore, since I've messed up the first year after high school, practically wasted the first 6 months.

You can always take a gap year! It's not an 'official' thing with rules, it's just taking a year out. I know multiple people who are 20+ and taking gap years after finishing their courses this year, there's no age limit or rule as to whether or not you can take one after resitting/messing up a year of your course!
Reply 6
Original post by rwnsl
You can always take a gap year! It's not an 'official' thing with rules, it's just taking a year out. I know multiple people who are 20+ and taking gap years after finishing their courses this year, there's no age limit or rule as to whether or not you can take one after resitting/messing up a year of your course!

oh?? I never knew omg thank youuuu. I'm not as stressed as I was anymore c:
Reply 7
https://www.16personalities.com

Take this free personality test. You get a free “career path” report along with a lot of others that might help you narrow down your focus.

I started a degree apprenticeship at 24 and didn’t even do A levels. You’ve got plenty of time to figure things out - but make sure you’re doing something fulfilling.
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 8
Original post by Chris2892
https://www.16personalities.com

Take this free personality test. You get a free “career path” report along with a lot of others that might help you narrow down your focus.

I started a degree apprenticeship at 24 and didn’t even do A levels. You’ve got plenty of time to figure things out - but make sure you’re doing something fulfilling.

thank you so much!
Reply 9
Original post by yugenzi
I'm studying three subjects (business, health & social care, sport studies) they don't really bring me happiness and I don't see myself in them at all. University isn't probably the right choice for me since I've got a 4 in maths.. Apprenticeship might be the right choice but.. what should I do? How do I find out what interests me and will bring me happiness? because I don't want to be stuck by doing one job for the entire life with a minimum wage as well. this is so difficult.

In my opinion, sometimes it's good to make impulsive decisions. Pick a career that mildly correlates with your strengths or interests, even if you don't completely understand what it involves. Once you start working there's a good chance you'll like it, but if you don't it's not the end of the world. I know countless people with great careers who originally tried to do something completely different.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending