The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
River85

There's not that much of a difference between three or four league table positions. It's unlikely that a graduate from UCL will be chosen over a graduate from Durham just because on is fifth and the other only eigth in a league table.

But then again, Durham is top five in the Independent and UCL is seventh or eigth which is kind of the problem. There's to definitive top five/top ten/top twenty. This is me being sad and pedantic as I certainly take your point. But a more sensible way of putting it is that in, say, a Magic Circle law firm a Durham or UCL grad (with a 2:1) is unlikely to be chosen ahead of a Leeds or Manchester grad who has a first (in the unlikely event of all things being equal). Degree classification, work experience, personal qualities and, sometimes, extra-curriculars all carry great importance.

It's the ignorance and writing universities off as "crap", when they know little to nothing about the uni, that I don't like. Or trying to speak with authority when they have little experience themselves (some aren't even at university, let alone graduates).

I agree with alot of what you said but in the Magic Circle there is no difference in preference (in general) in the unis you compared. Furthermore, I get the impression you don't rate the world rankings, why is this? - Why do you prefer the domestic league tables? The world rankings have empahasis on quality of research and academics, quite fundamental for good teaching, whereas things like student satisfaction surveys which hold alot of weight in domestic tables are done in a piecemeal fashion.
Reply 41
TI-84
University of Manchester :smile:

http://www.manchester.ac.uk/aboutus/facts/vision/

edit: not that UoM is a "low rank" university by any means, just I think it has a very rigorous and structured plan for the future.

Although I know you recognise it, Manchester is hardly low in the tables although I know many will argue that it should be higher. But a number of universities are investing 100s of millions of pounds into their campus and facilities and have grand plans (about being world class). But it's just an aim, anyone can make that claim but it doesn't mean they don't have a realistic chance of success.

I'm not saying Manchester won't achieve a top 25 position in the THES world ranking as no one can say they won't (especially not me :p: )
Reply 42
TI-84

edit: not that UoM is a "low rank" university by any means, just I think it has a very rigorous and structured plan for the future.

Yes, it should be noted that Manchester aims to improve its world ranking and pays little attention to improving the domestic league tables.
Reply 43
Herts uni rarely gets mentioned anywhere but it was the first post-92 uni to make it into the top 500 world rankings and has had massive investment :smile:
Reply 44
University of the Arts London, if going by League Tables, is a low-ranked university that doesn't seem all that bad - many of the courses come with work placements and it's an almagamation of six prestigious colleges, each with a set of distinguished alumni, and in another table it was ranked very highly purely on academia. Although I can't explain the shockingly low student satisfaction rating.

I was briefly tempted to go there when I found I'd missed my offer, and in the process of looking into it one thing I didn't understand was the very low entry requirements. It implied you only needed two passes at A-level to get in on their website, which sounds a little too good to be true. Maybe I have this wrong, but perhaps someone more familiar with the place can shed some light on this.
Sheffield Hallam, Northumbria, Nottingham Trent.
Reply 46
Dom1989
I agree with alot of what you said but in the Magic Circle there is no difference in preference (in general) in the unis you compared. Furthermore, I get the impression you don't rate the world rankings, why is this? - Why do you prefer the domestic league tables? The world rankings have empahasis on quality of research and academics, quite fundamental for good teaching, whereas things like student satisfaction surveys which hold alot of weight in domestic tables are done in a piecemeal fashion.

I don't prefer the domestic league tables, really. I don't really like any league table.

The world rankings look at quantty of research as well as quantity and, as a resulr, favour the larger universities. As a sidenote, a research intensive department doesn't always equal a department which has good teaching, although to a university its research is obviously important.

You can criticse the NSS but then I can criticise the THES world ranking for looking at the percentage of international staff and students (is this really a fair reflection of quality? Debateable).

They also use an employer ranking which is something my university (Durham) does perform well in but I don't agree with it being included and just seems so Anglo-American biased. They are just as guilty of being as biased, subjective and inconsistant as any other table including the domestic ones.
Reply 47
Oxford Brookes? :awesome:
I don't think RHUL ranked at around 30th is low generally speaking (because top 40 is pretty good) but I think it isn't given the credit it deserves.

It's a very good solid university with a variety of courses but most importantly, it hasn't given in to this false obligation to increase requirements like crazy just for the sake of it to seem more prestigious even though some of their courses are ranked in the top 5-7 in the country and they easily could demand for top grades. I suspect merging with St Geroge's will put it higher up in the coming years though :yep:

Oh and university of hertfordshire, although seemingly being a fairly new university is seen a bad thing...I actually like that very fact about it. Very modern contemporary campus and the quality of courses is fairly solid too.
Reply 49
River85
I don't prefer the domestic league tables, really. I don't really like any league table.

The world rankings look at quantty of research as well as quantity and, as a resulr, favour the larger universities. As a sidenote, a research intensive department doesn't always equal a department which has good teaching, although to a university its research is obviously important.

You can criticse the NSS but then I can criticise the THES world ranking for looking at the percentage of international staff and students (is this really a fair reflection of quality? Debateable).

They also use an employer ranking which is something my university (Durham) does perform well in but I don't agree with it being included and just seems so Anglo-American biased. They are just as guilty of being as biased, subjective and inconsistant as any other table including the domestic ones.

O.K thanks for the explanation. It just seems that whenever there is a debate on which uni is better than which, you reluctantly refer to the Times as a brief guide, but make no mention of the world rankings.
Reply 50
Floria
Oxford Brookes? :awesome:

I know your bias but I do really agree with you! And the hoodies are fit too
Reply 51
TI-84

I love that, I get the impression they just started running out of "goals" about half way down the list. High International Standing and World Class Research is one thing but, "More Effective Community Service"? They had to stop at nine, since ten would probably be something like "Slightly Friendlier Library Staff", or "More Choice in the Refectory".
Reply 52
02sd2607
I know your bias but I do really agree with you! And the hoodies are fit too

They look pretty comfy, tempted to buy for a lazy study day...:eek:
Reply 53
Nottingham Trent and DMU look promising...I don't bother with those rubbish league tables.
Reply 54
River85
This is General University discussion. Threads are here for discussion and I have every right to reply to a post. If you don't want to contribute constructively (and don't like others contributing) then just leave. Simple as.

There's not that much of a difference between three or four league table positions. It's unlikely that a graduate from UCL will be chosen over a graduate from Durham just because on is fifth and the other only eigth in a league table.

But then again, Durham is top five in the Independent and UCL is seventh or eigth which is kind of the problem. There's to definitive top five/top ten/top twenty. This is me being sad and pedantic as I certainly take your point. But a more sensible way of putting it is that in, say, a Magic Circle law firm a Durham or UCL grad (with a 2:1) is unlikely to be chosen ahead of a Leeds or Manchester grad who has a first (in the unlikely event of all things being equal). Degree classification, work experience, personal qualities and, sometimes, extra-curriculars all carry great importance.

I understand people want to go to the best university they can but that isn't snobbery in itself. I have nothing wrong with this. Often the mods (and other members, Chemsitboy being one example) are older and more experienced. Some have studied and/or taught at a range of universities (Russell Group/1994 Group and former polytechnics) and. so no better than to just dismiss degrees like David Beckham studies (which doesn't exist) or say ex-polys are all crap and their students have no hope of getting a job.

It's the ignorance and writing universities off as "crap", when they know little to nothing about the uni, that I don't like. Or trying to speak with authority when they have little experience themselves (some aren't even at university, let alone graduates).

I never said you didn't have the right to post... edyat. I contributed constructively, just in a frank manner. It's my opinion. Your responses were in fact a hinderance to the thread because you knew what I was talking about but you tried to be clever and just wasted time. Jam.
Reply 55
OhNO!
I love that, I get the impression they just started running out of "goals" about half way down the list. High International Standing and World Class Research is one thing but, "More Effective Community Service"? They had to stop at nine, since ten would probably be something like "Slightly Friendlier Library Staff", or "More Choice in the Refectory".

The catering is excellent, especially since the new building and the library staff are very helpful in my experience.
Reply 56
Rankings very accurately reflect the reputation employers have of them. One reason for this is because a lot of experience broadsheet journalists have been to the best Universities.

Due to this, rankings have a very good accuracy.

They have earnt their reputation by teaching students and putting them into the world to carry out the best jobs. Employers understand this. Also, they only allow in employers with the very best grades and the students who they choose to elect as the best ones.

The former polytechnics tend to be less strict of the grades and are unlikely to turn someone away with 3 Cs. This isn't because they are desperate for people and/or funding but it is because there has to be a University for less spectacular academic achievers to study (like me).

The lower ranked universities like former polytechnics and newer institutions are younger and whilst being polytechnics up till recently, they haven't had the chance to nurture Britain's best academics and prove themselves.

Rankings also represent how pretty your CV will look to employers who judge on reputation, which they do.
Reply 57
Jingers
I never said you didn't have the right to post... edyat. I contributed constructively, just in a frank manner. It's my opinion. Your responses were in fact a hinderance to the thread because you knew what I was talking about but you tried to be clever and just wasted time. Jam.

I do know what you mean. That universities who advertise are crap and I showed you that you were wrong. If that isn't what you mean then I'm sorry but I don't see what else you could have meant.
Reply 58
Dom1989
The catering is excellent, especially since the new building and the library staff are very helpful in my experience.

I was joking.
As far as I'm concerned, a university is based only on it's relevance to the individual.

I'm a strong student who was always pushed towards Oxbridge as a child. However, I want to do Film Production, so I'm starting Stafford next week :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending