The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Nope
Yes they do.

They also give importance to applicants with surnames that are higher in the alphabet... :ninja:

But dont tell anyone, Cambridge might hunt me down any minut... OH NO THEY ARE HERE...gjnrehtoibjnf.........
Reply 3
Edinburgh does
Reply 4
Sounds if anything unlikely.

Why would they give any advantage when if anything they are loosing a chance to sap someone for a years hall charges.
Reply 5
Yeah. Luckily for me I live in Oxford for 6 months a year and Cambridge for the other 6 months. :awesome:
Reply 6
Some universities have outreach schemes to local areas which can give people who go on the scheme more of a chance of a place or sometimes lower entry requirements (aimed at poorer schools where not many go to university). Just living nearby doesn't make you more likely to get in though.
Reply 7
Apfel
Yeah. Luckily for me I live in Oxford for 6 months a year and Cambridge for the other 6 months. :awesome:

Damn you, cheating the system :rolleyes:
In my city, everyone leaves to go to uni somewhere else as my city is SO boring. So I'm guessing yeah..
Reply 9
Oh, and as well as Edinburgh, if you're local to Newcastle, you get a guaranteed offer.
Reply 10
OP are you on about Keele Link? I know Keele go to local schools and colleges to talk about University but I'm not sure about pref treatment. There are a fair few local people that go to Keele but if anything most come from elsewhere.
PJ991
Oh, and as well as Edinburgh, if you're local to Newcastle, you get a guaranteed offer.

Newcastle under Lyme?

Great news!
Reply 12
BritPakistaniMuslimah
Newcastle under Lyme?

Great news!

Yes, that's exactly what I meant. That well known educational establishment called The University of Newcastle under Lyme.
Reply 13
PJ991

No you don't.

As for Edinburgh's "areas of bias" if that's the right term, it's not just the city of Edinburgh but extends down southwards and includes most of North East England and Cumbria also, I think.

Universities may show a bias towards local students in they have parternships and links with schools or campus' who'll openly market/promote themsleves to local students. How much local students are actually favoured in the applications process will vary.

BritPakistaniMuslimah
Newcastle under Lyme?

Great news!

Newcastle Upon Tyne. When people just say Newcastle they usually mean the much more famous Newcastle Upon Tyne. Newcastle Under Lyme is Newcastle Under Lyme (except if you're local.
spacepirate-James
Yes they do.

They also give importance to applicants with surnames that are higher in the alphabet... :ninja:

But dont tell anyone, Cambridge might hunt me down any minut... OH NO THEY ARE HERE...gjnrehtoibjnf.........
I found this incredibly immature post incredibly hilarious, for some incredibly odd reason. Good work :yy:
Reply 15
subterfuge
Some universities have outreach schemes to local areas which can give people who go on the scheme more of a chance of a place or sometimes lower entry requirements (aimed at poorer schools where not many go to university). Just living nearby doesn't make you more likely to get in though.

:ditto:

But it isn't always just applicants from the area. Sometimes they need to go to certain schools/colleges, or have attended summer schools and things with the university.
As has been pointed out, I think local universities may well have partnerships with businesses and an interest in developing their local area. Still it is possible to get in when you come from somewhere miles away.

I study in Wolverhampton but come from Cumbria... having said that I've met maybe only three other people from outside the West Midlands? Although none more than 40 miles. Now I'm somewhat concerned. ¬_¬
Portsmouth Uni's my local uni and they have access schemes. My school was pretty crap so if you decided to go to uni there and you went to my school you get a guaranteed place.

Southampton also gives out offers to everyone who applies from my sixth form (or so it seems, I've not known anyone get turned down) but they do come in and talk to us a lot etc.
hh
Reply 19
River85
No you don't.

Yes you do.

"When you apply to the University through UCAS, if you meet the Guaranteed Offer Scheme eligibility criteria, you will automatically receive a conditional offer from the University. The offer will be the same as listed in the Undergraduate Prospectus for the degree programme(s) concerned. You don't need to apply separately. "

http://www.ncl.ac.uk/partners/offer/

Latest

Trending

Trending