The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Quady
Over 40% of people earn less that 24k so its hardly a pittance

You're going to do undergrad medicine? :s-smilie:

All medicine course are undergraduate even the 4yr one you can do after your 1st degree. Its called Graduate entry medicine. Not postgraduate medicine
Reply 81
CinderellaDontGo
There is something that baffles, depresses and slightly annoys me. When people drop out of College (like some friends of mine) to work in a dead end job. For example a friend of mine dropped out of college, she was predicted high grades, and could of become a lawyer etc... Anyway she dropped out and is now waiting tables full time.

I genuinly can't comprehend why anyone would do that? Think about it, you can wait tables or stack shelves with no qualifictions, so why not at least have a go at achieving something in higher eduction? I can understand if you get a trade like a Plumber, Builder etc... But what's the point in waiting tables, it's not going to get you anywhere.

No disrespect to anyone who has dropped out by the way, it's your decision. And I can understand that college can be difficult to be honest I've thought about dropping out myself BUT I didn't because the thought of working in a dead end job terrified me.

I come from a working class family so I know what it's like to not have alot of money, which is why I want to do my best in life. Can anyone else see where I'm coming from here?

You may ask your friend about her thought when she first enter college. What did she expect from college? People live with they own visions and goals, and going into college is one of ways to accomplish their goals. Maybe people who are dropped out think that college / studying thing is just a burden for them and they dont think that what they get from college would help them to reach what they want. Maybe....
they're just losers. low-class ****** losers.

All people in poor/low-class jobs are losers.
Reply 83
rajandkwameali
they're just losers. low-class ****** losers.

All people in poor/low-class jobs are losers.

Oh yeah?

What sorts of jobs are these?
waiters, cleaners, dustbin men, etc.

most people on this forum wouldn't be these, or at least this wouldn't be their highest achievement in life. :smile:
Reply 85
rajandkwameali
waiters, cleaners, dustbin men, etc.

most people on this forum wouldn't be these, or at least this wouldn't be their highest achievement in life. :smile:

Are your being sarcastic?
no i'm being serious. this is the general gist of the thread, that people in low-class positions are losers.
Hmm, so it's better to stay at college in your course forcing yourself to do something you don't enjoy or drop out and experience life outside of the bubble that is education?

Dropping out was the best decision I ever made, and even though I am now returning to education, I don't regret the time I took out to re-evaluate what I wanted to do with my life and my future.

As people have said before, uni degree does not always equal a better job, or a job for that matter... some of my friends who have graduated have spent a year looking for a job.
Reply 88
rajandkwameali
no i'm being serious. this is the general gist of the thread, that people in low-class positions are losers.

How would you explain drop out who are upper middle class?
Quady
How would you explain drop out who are upper middle class?

they succeeded. but a dropout who spends their lives waiting tables is worse.
Reply 90
rajandkwameali
they succeeded. but a dropout who spends their lives waiting tables is worse.

What about someone who gets a decent degree and then waits tables?
still a loser, since they haven't amounted to much in life. or aren't doing much in life.
I get what you mean. The ones that annoy me most are the ones that drop out of college because of social life issues. My sister has a load of friends who dropped out of college after fairly juvenile breakups.

But those are probably the ones who only turn up to college so they can get EMA.
Reply 93
rajandkwameali
still a loser, since they haven't amounted to much in life. or aren't doing much in life.

How do you know that? The might have a great set of friends, amazing girlfriend and be perfectly content.
Some ppl just aren't cut out for academia brah....it doesn't make them any worse than you so don't judge them. Some ppl are truly happy with an ordinary life and fair play to them.
Reply 95
Everybody is different init.
moreiniho
How do you know that? The might have a great set of friends, amazing girlfriend and be perfectly content.

loserdom is also defined by status in life. i don't have tolerance for lower-class persons.
Reply 97
rajandkwameali
loserdom is also defined by status in life. i don't have tolerance for lower-class persons.

Well I'm sure they don't concern themselves with your definitions and I can pretty damn safely say that they don't seek your approval, which is of course, worthless.
i couldn't care less if they do. is there a reason i should?
Reply 99
rajandkwameali
i couldn't care less if they do. is there a reason i should?

Why do you judge them at all, if you 'couldn't care less'?

Latest

Trending

Trending