The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
seaspray
EMA is such a rediculous, unfair, waste-of-tax-payers-money scheme with no significantly positive outcomes. :mad:

I am furious at the whole system.

You should be furious at the welfare state then. Because if the person receiving EMA were to stay at home, they would receive roughly the same amount in benefits. I'd much rather the taxpayers money went to someone who at least made the effort to come into school, rather than someone who sat infront of the TV allday.
zaf1986
You should be furious at the welfare state then. Because if the person receiving EMA were to stay at home, they would receive roughly the same amount in benefits. I'd much rather the taxpayers money went to someone who at least made the effort to come into school, rather than someone who sat infront of the TV allday.

In my experience, usually lazy under-achievers who don't care about an education receive EMA. I echo the first post, and would further add that EMA is a (positive) discriminator not at all based on merit (which would be a far better system!) - all students face the same "money troubles".
Reply 3
phillipsm
In my experience, usually lazy under-achievers who don't care about an education receive EMA. I echo the first post, and would further add that EMA is a (positive) discriminator not at all based on merit (which would be a far better system!) - all students face the same "money troubles".

though EMA was for people from poorer backgrounds.....whats it got to do with lazy unacheivers?? :mad:

EMA encourages a lot of people who may otherwise be truents or leave school at 16 to work....

....just because some of you dont get it dont criticise it...im sure your rich parents can give you £30 a week :mad:
Or just bitter because you're not getting it? It's not supposed to be for everyone, it's supposed to be for those from lower-income households who need the money for books, stationery etc because their parents can't afford to buy them. How is it unfair?
kellywood_5
Or just bitter because you're not getting it? It's not supposed to be for everyone, it's supposed to be for those from lower-income households who need the money for books, stationery etc because their parents can't afford to buy them. How is it unfair?

well said. I get EMA. :p:
Widowmaker
well said. I get EMA. :p:

Me too, £20 a week :smile:
Reply 7
i hate it when ppl make threads like this without knowing the full story

my £20 pays for my transport to school and im not a lazy underacheiver....i got a scholarship to a grammar school and a place at LSE to do law.....n il be ****** if any snob tells me EMA is worthless has no benefits and is for mostly lazy underacheivers
jiggaman7
though EMA was for people from poorer backgrounds.....whats it got to do with lazy unacheivers?? :mad:

I stated clearly that it was in my experience. Further, I believe there to be a link between home life/background and values.
Reply 9
jiggaman7
i hate it when ppl make threads like this without knowing the full story

my £20 pays for my transport to school and im not a lazy underacheiver....i got a scholarship to a grammar school and a place at LSE to do law.....n il be ****** if any snob tells me EMA is worthless has no benefits and is for mostly lazy underacheivers

yeah but i bet u wud have got by without it
Reply 10
phillipsm
I stated clearly that it was in my experience. Further, I believe there to be a link between home life/background and values.

you believe there is a link between those three....is that it so what whats that got to do with being lazy for getting EMA??
Reply 11
jiggaman7
you believe there is a link between those three....is that it so what whats that got to do with being lazy for getting EMA??

lazy ppl cant be assed at school so they dont get as well paying jobs (under 30,000 pa) thus there children get ema
Reply 12
_Jax_
yeah but i bet u wud have got by without it

yes i would have....but it made my life much easier....

...and the £30 a week is a very good incentive to encourage people to not leave school at 16...and as zaf said theyd get roughly the same in benefits...
_Jax_
lazy ppl cant be assed at school so they dont get as well paying jobs (under 30,000 pa) thus there children get ema

That's complete crap. My parents work really hard, they always have done, but not everyone does well academically and not everyone is interested in academic work. That doesn't make them lazy.
Reply 14
_Jax_

or maybe as in my friends cases their fathers, the main breadwinner has died or run off leaving the mother alone...

...but i wouldnt expect people with swimmings pools in their houses to understand
it's supposed to be for those from lower-income households who need the money for books, stationery etc because their parents can't afford to buy them. How is it unfair?

How many people do you know that pay out £20-30 week for books or stationary? And while i accept that you could use it for travel - presueably you managed to get to school for the previous 12 years - why not the last two?

And yes i'm bitter, because every person i know who receives it uses it to go out on a friday night (or things equally as productive) - none of this books malarky. if i received that every week, i could afford not to work. I've been told several times - "but we have to be in school on time every day and do all our work" etc - but a lot of people do that anyway, without having to be bribed. :rolleyes:

In my eyes it would be a lot better to use the money on other things that benefit more people - like resources for the whole sixth form and/or school (like, for example all the books and stationary you're supposed to buy witht he ema...) - or maybe paying for university, so we don't have to have top-fees etc

i'm not a 'rich snob' - had the scheme been introdueced last year i would have been eligible for some money, and yes, i probably would have accepted, but i still think that the whole scheme is a ridiculous waste of money.
Reply 16
_Jax_

Exactly. The whole "point" of EMA is to encourage students from lower-income background to work hard at school to get a good job. However, their parents, who can claim this money for them, contradict the whole point and show that staying at home or not working hard at school can allow you to claim extra cash for your children, on top of the rediculously high amount of benefits already being thrown at them.

No, I am not "jealous" that I'm not receiving the money. In fact, I couldn't care less. But my point is that just because some persons parents have worked hard for a good living, it does not mean their children also benefit from that income.

For some, the payment may help with books/transport etc. But for millions I expect it will be wasted on luxury goods (if not something worse like drugs/alcohol).

:mad:
Reply 17
kellywood_5

Who the hell needs £30 a week for stationery and books? Unless people are buying pens made of gold, how is it even possible to spend that much? Most of my friends who get it spend it on things that have nothing to do with school. Like alcohol.
cross-posted with groovy moose, who said the same thing.
Would also like to add that many people earning £30k actually can't afford swimming pools, or to give their kids £30 a week (especially if they have several children, which does not get taken into account when allocating EMA). In fact, those with £30k have remarkably similar lifestyles to those with £29k.
Reply 18
groovy_moose
How many people do you know that pay out £20-30 week for books or stationary? And while i accept that you could use it for travel - presueably you managed to get to school for the previous 12 years - why not the last two?

And yes i'm bitter, because every person i know who receives it uses it to go out on a friday night (or things equally as productive) - none of this books malarky. if i received that every week, i could afford not to work. I've been told several times - but we have to be in school on time every day and do all our work etc - but a lot of people do that anyway, without having to be bribed. :rolleyes:

In my eyes it would be a lot better to use the money on other things that benefit more people - like reasources for the whole sixth form and/or school - or maybe paying for university, so we don't have to have top-fees etc

well it makes life that little bit easier doesn't it and also acts as an incentive to get people to stay in school and not leave at 16

and if your family income is over 30,000 anyway you definitely dont "need to work" you dont know the meaning of needing to work
Reply 19
groovy_moose
In my eyes it would be a lot better to use the money on other things that benefit more people - like reasources for the whole sixth form and/or school - or maybe paying for university, so we don't have to have top-fees etc

I totally agree! If the cash is intended for educational materials, why doesn't the money get given to the school who can buy the books required on behalf of the students?

Latest

Trending

Trending