The Student Room Group

advice on applying to uni

I'm not really sure if this is the right palce to post, but i would like to apply to do law at uni in 2010, (or possibly get a place now but defer till 2011,)

I got grades AAAA at AS , and have dropped soiciology, which i got a low A in.
I got a high A in politics, a middling A in history, and a low A in English language, combined with the fact that my GCSE results aren't brilliant,(A*,A, BBBBB, CC, DD,) I definitely don't want to apply to unis that are asking for straight A's for law, e.g. places like manchester where u need a minimum of 5 A's (gcse,) to be considered I obvioulsy shouldn't waste an application.

Currently I am considering Sheffield-AAA ( I thought if i'm getting aaa predictions i might as well put one down,)

Sheffield law and criminology, (aab)
Liverpool law (aab,)

Northumbria,( law exempting, ) ABB-I really like the sound of the course as it combines practice with theory throughuot the four years. However when I visited Sheffield I just loved the place, and i get the chance to study criminology...

anyway i'm really needing to find a 5th choice, I was thinking Sussex, but I know someone who quit because she found it so claustraphobic.

I wondered if anyone knew about these unis/courses, liked/ disliked them and could reccomend a 5th choice iuni in the AAB/ABB range.

Currently I am considering for 5th choice-Sussex, Swansea or possibly Reading?

Any help much appreciated, sorry for long and rambling post lol
Reply 1
i know i've replied to you elsewhere but just seen this and thought i'd say, why not consider applying to another AAA university? your AS grades are good if you're predicted AAA and have a decent application there is every chance you'll get in, even if you dont make AAA eventually and only get say AAB. tbh altho i've no idea what the course is like at northumbria, its a relatively new university and with a subject like law theres a lot of snobbery surrounding ex polytechnics. you want to give yourself the best employment chance you can and so i would suggest both sussex and swansea more highly. i know on the guardian website you can compare the ratings of law courses so you might want to do that. (sussex was rated higher than manchester somehow!!)
Reply 2
Thanks very much!

So would you say it would be best to put down Sheffield, Sheffield law+criminology, Liverpool, and sussex and Swansea, (more as backupish unis,) than Northumbria, as both Sussex and Swansea are more established?

That might be a better option for me anyway, because Newcastle/ Northumbria is a long way from where I live, and i've heard pretty good things about sussex on here+ I like Brighton.

Thanks again, and i guess i shall now research Swansea!
Reply 3
I think you could go for way more prestigious unis, tbh.

Latest

Trending

Trending