The Student Room Group

How to 'quit' university..?

Right, so..
BASICALLY, I've been at university for a week now, doing all the freshers stuff and living in halls and everything..
and I reeeeally hate it.

It's so extreme that I think it's highly unlikely that I'll change my mind now, so I'm pretty much looking for a way out.

I've been uncertain about my subject choice for a while now anyway, but I've found that uni life really just isn't for me! I don't enjoy being away from home, and whilst I've met some nice people and had some good nights out, it really doesn't beat my friends back home, who incidentally aren't at university and thus still at home.

Is there an easy way to back out now and reapply to another university next year? I'm really keen on another one nearer to home. I didn't think I'd get the grades to go there, so I didn't bother applying, but now with my AAA i'm confident that I'd get in. It'd also give me the chance to do the subject that I'd prefer to do.

I'm just not sure about the student finance thing.. if I've already applied for finance, does that mean I HAVE to see this university through?

Please help!!

Thank you :smile:
Reply 1
You can drop out.
Reply 2
I just dropped out after less than a week. I spoke to the student support services which you should find in your SU. I was advised against registering first though because loans would come through and I would be officially enrolled for a course that I wouldn't be attending. I'm not sure how difficult the process is if you've registered at your uni already but for me it was pretty straightforward - but expect to be charged for breaking your halls contract and you'll most likely have to pay a weeks rent back. About student finance, you have to send them a change of circumstances form to say you've left your uni but if you've already recieved your loans through, i'm not sure how they'll go about paying them back.

Good luck anyway. Sounds like you're in exactly the same position as I was so I know how you're feeling :p:
Looks like i'll be doing the whole UCAS process over again :frown: apart from the waiting for results bit
just tell them you want to leave

they can't stop you
Thank you so much kaytee.
It's nice to know I'm not the only one, ha.

That's pretty much settled it for me.. I definitely can't stay here, and it seems fairly straightforward to leave, so yeah. Can't wait to get back home! :smile:
Actually, another quick question- would it affect my chances at all of getting in to another university?
Reply 6
strawberry_fields64
Actually, another quick question- would it affect my chances at all of getting in to another university?

Someone else said that on another forum but I was never told this. The other unis you apply to wouldn't have to know and even if they did find out then just give them your reasons. If you've got the grades required then i'd expect they'd be pretty happy to have you at their uni because they have to fill their places.
first of all strawberry feilds, as a obvious beatles fan i would love to help lol :smile: but am in very much the same situation. iv been at staffordshire university for a week and ok though people are constantly telling me you will get used to it i cant see me at the momment wanting to stay away from home so i get what you are saying. im going to give my lessons a week but i think its important for me anyway if i dont like it to leave quick as i think everyone hates the idea of debt and also i can get a job over xmas or mabe still get on a A Level cource. my dad made a good comment though that even with your loan payed to you you can litrally just pay it back with that same cash thats asuming you can just keep it (as lets face it, its tempting to buy a hole host or random crap) the only genral thing im thinking is i will be letting my family down but i suppose i have to do what i think is right when dealing with all this money!

anyway good luck to you what ever you do and i think as bad as it sounds its good to know their are quite a few of use in the same boat i thought i was the only one!
Reply 8
Hey :-)

This is what I did last year (knew I wanted to leave by the end of first week, I was home by the first week of October).

It should be pretty straightforward - as someone has said, ask your student support services or, if you have been appointed a personal tutor yet, go to see them! We had a buddy system last year and my 3rd year helper was an complete lifesaver sorting me out so if theres anything similar it can be a big help to talk to them.

I had already registered and so my loan/grant came through. I paid back my grant straight away but had to keep the loan due to some issues with Student Finance, but this will just be added on to what I owe when I graduate.

I had a great year out, got some good work and life experience and have just started another uni where I'm so much happier (so far!) so I'd say if your sure, go for it. "Waiting it out" isn't the best way for every situation!
Good luck :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending