The Student Room Group
Founders Building, Royal Holloway
Royal Holloway
Egham
Visit website

why isnt royal holloway higher up in league tables?

hi,

i needed a university to apply to as one of my lower options, and so i went to royal holloway open day today and really loved it, (i want to do geography by the way) but at the moment its around 30 in the ratings and i was just wondering why it isnt higher? is it also based on social life, etc? or is the reputation not good for royal holloway?

thank you :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
They don't have high entry requirements, a med school or a law department.
Founders Building, Royal Holloway
Royal Holloway
Egham
Visit website
Reply 2
It does have a very solid reputation and its highest position was no. 12 in 2007. I really have no idea why it would've fallen. I bet it will increase once it merges with St. Georges medical school though.
thatone

This. If they had these qualities then they could be a top Rusell Group university.
Reply 4
thatone

Well they dont exactly have low entry requirements either. Dont they range from AAB-BBB?
Antonia87
It does have a very solid reputation and its highest position was no. 12 in 2007. I really have no idea why it would've fallen. I bet it will increase once it merges with St. Georges medical school though.

I thought the merger wasn't happening anymore?
Reply 6
I know it doesn't exactly answer your question, but I wouldn't worry terribly about the league tables, I think people put a bit too much emphasis on them. Royal Holloway has a really good geography department, and if you liked it a lot you shouldn't let it's position on league tables put you off too much.
Antonia87
Well they dont exactly have low entry requirements either. Dont they range from AAB-BBB?

For a university part of the Univeristy of London, the requirements are moderate I'd say. :smile:
I've always thought RHUL should be ranked much higher than it currently is. It's a fantastic university and I believe it provides the best all-round student experience out of all the other UoL universities...good teaching, stunning campus, has the space to do so many recreational activities and is only a short train's journey away from central London :yep:

It's a shame it isn't merging with St Geroges anymore, that would have definately put it much higher up, at least in the top 20 probably.
There are many excellent universities out there -- even if every university were astoundingly wonderful, some place would surely come last in the rankings. That's the way the rankings work.
cruciform
For a university part of the Univeristy of London, the requirements are moderate I'd say. :smile:

Ah yes I didn't bring the UoL factor into it. However, Goldsmiths is part of the UoL and appears to have even lower entry requirements.
Just to clarify, RHUL and St Georges have officially announced yesterday that they are not merging.

http://www.sgul.ac.uk/media/latest-news/joint-statement-from-st-george2019s-university-of-london-and-royal-holloway-university-of-london

I think it was literally the night before last that they decided they wouldn't merge them.. not sure of the reason behind it but they came to the decision that things would remain as they are.
Playboy King
I've always thought RHUL should be ranked much higher than it currently is. It's a fantastic university and I believe it provides the best all-round student experience out of all the other UoL universities...good teaching, stunning campus, has the space to do so many recreational activities and is only a short train's journey away from central London :yep:

It's a shame it isn't merging with St Geroges anymore, that would have definitely put it much higher up, at least in the top 20 probably.

I agree - love Royal Holloway. In some ways, the fact that it feels like its underrated and doesn't have really high entry requirements is a good thing.. it's like you can get a lot more for your A level grades if that makes sense :smile:
Reply 15
Antonia87

But lower things to CCCish during clearing/people who miss offers.
you cant get ranking system too seriously if uni is ranked 12 it can be ranked 25 year later
for GEOGRAPHY AND ENVIRONMENTAL SCIENCES rhul is 19th. I also went today and loved it...i am now torn between this and surrey :s: im going for comp sci BTW
SaveItForTheMorning
I think it was literally the night before last that they decided they wouldn't merge them.. not sure of the reason behind it but they came to the decision that things would remain as they are.

Yeah how odd. They seemed so set on it.
cruciform
Really? My friend was given an offer to study History for AAB at Goldsmith's! :eek:

Really?? For my course (Politics) it was ABB at Holloway and BCC at Goldsmiths! My word.

Either way, OP, Royal Holloway is an excellent university. They have high teaching standards, a solid research record, a low drop-out rate and a beautiful campus that effectively takes your breath away every time you enter it. And people love being there. I'd really consider it.

Latest

Trending

Trending