The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I would say become a more well-rounded person (with some more 'depth). A dearth of extra-curriculars will not hide anything in an interview; even less actually attending college/university there.
Reply 21
Mann18
This really wasn't fair, the guy even said they wanted to go to Africa to do some charity work, unlike you who got stoned everyday (very flimsy paraphasing.) I agree that people aren't grades though, but sometimes thats the only way to relate to people as you may not have similar ideals, but everyone takes GCSEs...

You make assumptions, and making them on a flimsy basis just makes you look stupid.

Why does he want to go to Africa? Special kinship or did he hear that's what people do when they want to get into university? Pointless affectation and absolutely meaningless.
Reply 22
lrkn
You make assumptions, and making them on a flimsy basis just makes you look stupid.

Why does he want to go to Africa? Special kinship or did he hear that's what people do when they want to get into university? Pointless affectation and absolutely meaningless.

In my opinion, pointing out that I make assumptions on a flimsy basis defends me from having it pointed out that I make assumptions on a flimsy basis due to the fact that it would make whoever retorted in such a way look as though they were simply regurgitating what i said, hence making themselves look stupid.

I agree that they probably want to go to Africa to make himself look better, but you're an idiot if you think it's meaningless, anyone who does humanitarian work in a developing country will have masses of experience from which to draw from as well as a pretty bitchin' thing to put in their personal statement. At first I thought you were just showing off, but now I think you're a cynic, and thus do not really have an opinon of worth (unless this changes from "Err, you're ****, I'm better for not having the same priorities as you, live like i do." Of course, (stupidly) I base this opinion on flimsy evidence. Sorry that this was needlessly long.
Reply 23
Mann18
In my opinion, pointing out that I make assumptions on a flimsy basis defends me from having it pointed out that I make assumptions on a flimsy basis due to the fact that it would make whoever retorted in such a way look as though they were simply regurgitating what i said, hence making themselves look stupid.

I agree that they probably want to go to Africa to make himself look better, but you're an idiot if you think it's meaningless, anyone who does humanitarian work in a developing country will have masses of experience from which to draw from as well as a pretty bitchin' thing to put in their personal statement. At first I thought you were just showing off, but now I think you're a cynic, and thus do not really have an opinon of worth (unless this changes from "Err, you're ****, I'm better for not having the same priorities as you, live like i do." Of course, (stupidly) I base this opinion on flimsy evidence. Sorry that this was needlessly long.

It was also needlessly flimsy.

I'd rather hear of somebody doing something interesting for the right reason than doing something 'good' because he thought it'd get him into university.
Reply 24
lrkn
******* hell you're fifteen years of age.

You're young and naive and your aspiration is admirable but go and see some trees. Read books. If you're 15 and all you can think to aspire to is to be rich then you need some imagination.

You're not a 'nerd'. You're an individual human spirit with infinite potential and putting yourself into a box and assuming you want to do certain things because of that is destroying your individuality.

******* hell, kids these days. When I was your age I was reading three books a week, experimenting with drugs and girls and having an early life crisis about where my place was in the universe. Yet somehow I think I was less ****** up than kids who obsess over their careers and their futures.

Drones, the lot of you. Get some soul.

Actually, no. My ultimate goal is to be rich, but I aspire to be a novelist in order to get there. I don't really see how having aspirations destroys my individuality. I read, but I enjoy doing things with my life that are more constructive than getting stoned and having sex.
Reply 25
lrkn

I'd rather hear of somebody doing something interesting for the right reason than doing something 'good' because he thought it'd get him into university.

I want to go to Africa for the experience, the fact that it would look good on a university application is just an added bonus as far as I'm concerned.
Reply 26
Have lots of money, or a good family name, and you're in.
Reply 27
I think it's good to have aims at this age. It gives you motivation and something to work towards. And if you change your mind, it's not drastic, it's not like you've cut off all other options.

I suggest that you research all the Ivy Leagues, get thoroughly familiar with the American application process. The more 'inside information' you have, the more confident you'll be. Do it now, while you have the time, it'll save a lot of stress and bother later when the time comes round to actually apply.

Also check out scholarships provided by the UK and see if you are ellegible for those. Unless you can afford to pay international tuition fees?

However, you will be competing with other applicants who all have top grades and a lot of EC's. There's really nothing special about it in the eyes of the admissions tutors.
Reply 28
Remember that American Unis require you to take the SAT exam. This is a multiple choice test divided into 3 sections: Maths, Critical Reading and Writing. For the Ivy League it's recommended to score at least 700 (out of a possible 800) in each section. However there isn't an actual minimum score to get in - they consider loads of other factors when deciding so having lots of extra curriculars is handy.

I wouldn't worry about the SAT right now though as you've only just started year 11. It's typical to take it in June of Year 12 and then retake it in October of Year 13.
Reply 29
lrkn

Whatever. You have to think less idealistically, people do what they have to do to get where they want to go. And as for needlessly flimsy... that's what she said!
The OP hasn't actually clarified yet whether or not they are rich enough to go to an Ivy league. If you're from a normal family without a large inheritance from somewhere you probably won't be able to afford it.

I was considering US unis in year 11, but researched it in a little more depth and realised it really wasn't worth it when you can get into great English universities that are much cheaper and go to America for postgrad if that's what you really want.
And like other people have said, knowing what you want now can change dramatically over the next few years. You could hate English at A level (there's no creative writing involved, for example) or become more interested in another subject.
lilah_rose
Actually, no. My ultimate goal is to be rich,

shallow? :yes:
BeckyIsOptimistic
The OP hasn't actually clarified yet whether or not they are rich enough to go to an Ivy league. If you're from a normal family without a large inheritance from somewhere you probably won't be able to afford it.

Small point being that for Yale, Harvard, Dartmouth, MIT and Princeton, if you parents earn less than $60,000 combined you are given a free place with no student loans or other fees involved. Just a small point.
Reply 33
amiparanoid
shallow? :yes:

I don't see how that's shallow ... are you aspiring to be poor. Hmm, didn't think so. If wanting wealth makes me shallow, then I'll embrace it.
lilah_rose
I don't see how that's shallow ... are you aspiring to be poor. Hmm, didn't think so. If wanting wealth makes me shallow, then I'll embrace it.

Entirely missing the point. Money is no end in itself, either way. Methinks if you want that kind of wealth you need to invest some of your time in thinking more logically.
amiparanoid
Small point being that for Yale, Harvard, Dartmouth, MIT and Princeton, if you parents earn less than $60,000 combined you are given a free place with no student loans or other fees involved. Just a small point.

Oh okay, I didn't realise that was the threshhold
that's not a lot of money though, I'd say the average people thinking about applying to the Ivies/MIT etc would come from a family with a slightly higher income, but that's just my guess.

Nobody really knows how the system works but if there were two equal students ability & EC wise and one could afford to pay I'd imagine they'd choose the richer one. My elongated point being that getting financial aid is not a really simple process :p:
Reply 36
amiparanoid
Entirely missing the point. Money is no end in itself, either way. Methinks if you want that kind of wealth you need to invest some of your time in thinking more logically.

I'm not sure there really is a point here. I aspire to write bestselling novels and reap the profits from this. Call me stupid, but I don't quite see why a point needs to be made about it ...
lilah_rose
I'm not sure there really is a point here. I aspire to write bestselling novels and reap the profits from this. Call me stupid, but I don't quite see why a point needs to be made about it ...

I get indignant about people who say their ultimate end is to be rich. Maybe that's just me.
BeckyIsOptimistic
Oh okay, I didn't realise that was the threshhold
that's not a lot of money though, I'd say the average people thinking about applying to the Ivies/MIT etc would come from a family with a slightly higher income, but that's just my guess.

Nobody really knows how the system works but if there were two equal students ability & EC wise and one could afford to pay I'd imagine they'd choose the richer one. My elongated point being that getting financial aid is not a really simple process :p:

Nope, having spoken to the Yale admissions officer at length about this I have been reliably informed that they look at money after they make their offers; in fact, you can even get the application fee waived. (And yes, my parents earn well under the threshold- it actually works out cheaper for me to go to the US). As for your last point- you must remember that no two applicants will ever be exactly the same- they'll make their decision based on that and that alone. Then they'll give me my place :yes:
amiparanoid
Nope, having spoken to the Yale admissions officer at length about this I have been reliably informed that they look at money after they make their offers; in fact, you can even get the application fee waived. (And yes, my parents earn well under the threshold- it actually works out cheaper for me to go to the US). As for your last point- you must remember that no two applicants will ever be exactly the same- they'll make their decision based on that and that alone. Then they'll give me my place :yes:

Do I sense some overconfidence? lol
well good luck to you anyway
And I know you may have spoken to a reliable source, but they aren't exactly going to admit publically to my theory.
Just a general q - do you apply for financial aid at the same time/close to when you apply, or is it a little later?
I'm considering Dartmouth for next year but it just looks like so much work to apply.

Latest

Trending

Trending