The Student Room Group

IDed to buy glowsticks...

Being 25 and a half I find that to be the most ridiculous thing ever...

When did shops start IDing for glowsticks and why? I've not bought any since May. I mean you can't even justify it because of the liquid inside the things because then you'd have to ID for all liquids that aren't meant to be drank. What next, ID to buy some fairy liquid or shampoo?

Scroll to see replies

Wait, you have to be 18+ to buy glowsticks?
I've bought glow sticks before, even aged under 16 :wtf:
In one of my old jobs i sold them to kids of about 10
Reply 4
I don't know Steeler, maybe there's been a law change I missed?

Funny thing is I went and bought some Vodka shortly after in a different store and didn't get IDed. I mean I was looking a bit rough today too, hadn't done my hair or shaved yet so there's no way I could pass for a 17 year old.
In one of my old jobs i sold them to kids of about 10

same here, no one ever told me you werent allowed to

oops :P
Reply 6
Well if you crack a glow stick open and rub the stuff inside all over your face it really hurts. Maybe they can't trust kids not to do that :biggrin:
Reply 7
I didn't know that. I've had it on my hands before. They do burst by themselves on some occassions if you bend it too much trying to put it on yourself.

But surely something like bleach or toilet cleaner would hurt you more and I've never heard of ID to buy those. And even less harmful things like washing up liquid or soap can be dangerous if swallowed.
Reply 8
Sephiroth
Being 25 and a half I find that to be the most ridiculous thing ever...

When did shops start IDing for glowsticks and why? I've not bought any since May. I mean you can't even justify it because of the liquid inside the things because then you'd have to ID for all liquids that aren't meant to be drank. What next, ID to buy some fairy liquid or shampoo?

actually I heard they were carcinogenic, not sure if its true
Reply 9
Most supermarkets have an under 25 policy for anything that you need to be over 18 for nowadays. I got aggro from one customer who was 22, and I was like "LOOK AT THE SIGN THAT SAYS UNDER 25!"

I didn't know that glowsticks couldn't be sold to under 18s though (we didn't sell them). I know that party poppers can't be though, and nor can nail polish remover. :shrug:
Reply 10
oh. haha i sell to kids when i'm at work all the time (: on all our age restricted stuff we have a little box that comes up asking how old we think the customer is, that doesnt happen to glow sticks! how weird haha, whats so dangerous about glow sticks?!
Reply 11
Bezzler
Most supermarkets have an under 25 policy for anything that you need to be over 18 for nowadays. I got aggro from one customer who was 22, and I was like "LOOK AT THE SIGN THAT SAYS UNDER 25!"

I didn't know that glowsticks couldn't be sold to under 18s though (we didn't sell them). I know that party poppers can't be though, and nor can nail polish remover. :shrug:

Neither can bottle openers, nail files, shoe polish and christmas crackers. :woo: aha, i love working in a supermarket (:
Reply 12
Sephiroth
I didn't know that. I've had it on my hands before. They do burst by themselves on some occassions if you bend it too much trying to put it on yourself.

Yeah I had loads of my hands and it was fine, but then I got some on face and it started burning. It was a bit weird.
Reply 13
Sephiroth
I don't know Steeler, maybe there's been a law change I missed?

Funny thing is I went and bought some Vodka shortly after in a different store and didn't get IDed. I mean I was looking a bit rough today too, hadn't done my hair or shaved yet so there's no way I could pass for a 17 year old.

I always always forget you're male. This made me go wtf for a second! :p:

Why didn't you ask them why they were IDing you? :dontknow:
Reply 14
Samz
Neither can bottle openers, nail files, shoe polish and christmas crackers. :woo: aha, i love working in a supermarket (:

Shoe polish?! I didn't remember that one.

Also, paracetamol can't be sold to under 16s, but it never beeped at me telling me that when I sold it, so I might well have done without realising...
Reply 15
Seriously though - the liquid inside tastes nasty, really nasty.
Reply 16
:hahaha:
Reply 17
Psyk
Well if you crack a glow stick open and rub the stuff inside all over your face it really hurts. Maybe they can't trust kids not to do that :biggrin:

And how do you know this?
Reply 18
EskimoJo
I always always forget you're male. This made me go wtf for a second! :p:

Why didn't you ask them why they were IDing you? :dontknow:

Why would you think I'm female? :eek:
I don't hide my gender lol.

I forgot to ask them, too busy being shocked/embarrassed and trying to find my ID.

This was at Winkinsons if anyone is wondering. I normally get them from the pound shops but I saw none there today.
Reply 19
My 10 yr old son bought some glowsticks last week from the co op, he wasnt ID"d!.:confused: . Is there an age restriction on them now?.

Latest

Trending

Trending