The Student Room Group

sold something on ebay, royal mail lost it, what happens now?

As title basically. I've filled out the lost mail form and given it in but haven't heard anything from royal mail yet, my buyer is getting a bit pissed off that he hasn't got the item but isn't being too awful about it. Do I have to click anything on ebay to say it's been lost? I have a tracking number for the item and it just says still at the post office I posted it a few weeks later. I'm not really sure what to do, do I refund the buyer and hope royal mail refund me or should I ask him to hold on a bit then he might leave bad feedback. :frown:

Sorry if this is the wrong section I wasn't sure where to put it.
Did you get proof of postage? If you did, then really the buyer should have to deal with it because you kept up your end of the bargain and sent the item. The buyer should then fill in the lost mail form and claim compensation, seeing as you have already been paid.
If you haven't got a proof of postage then I'm not sure, it may be best if you do all the running around for the buyer, to stop them getting annoyed.
^^ let the buyer do it himself :smile:

Also, didn't you put a "if undelivered: post it to your address blah blah blah""???

Buyer may be led to believe it's been posted back to you if so...Oh yea what class did you send it by? 1st, 2nd, special???
Reply 3
Lazuliblue
Did you get proof of postage? If you did, then really the buyer should have to deal with it because you kept up your end of the bargain and sent the item. The buyer should then fill in the lost mail form and claim compensation, seeing as you have already been paid.
If you haven't got a proof of postage then I'm not sure, it may be best if you do all the running around for the buyer, to stop them getting annoyed.

I have got proof of postage and I already filled out the form and am waiting for compensation from royal mail, I didn't even think of asking the buyer to do it.

What I'm worried about is the item turning up and me refunding the buyer as they don't tell me then me being without item or money. I sent it first class recorded.

cowsforsale yeah I put my address as the return on it but do you know how long royal mail will wait before returning it to me. They pretty much admitted they lost it so if it turns up will they post to me or the buyer?
Reply 4
Sabertooth
I have got proof of postage and I already filled out the form and am waiting for compensation from royal mail, I didn't even think of asking the buyer to do it.

What I'm worried about is the item turning up and me refunding the buyer as they don't tell me then me being without item or money. I sent it first class recorded.

cowsforsale yeah I put my address as the return on it but do you know how long royal mail will wait before returning it to me. They pretty much admitted they lost it so if it turns up will they post to me or the buyer?

This has happend to me loads of times on eBay, as long as you have waited 15 days since you posted the item and you sent your proof of postage you should get a refund within 1 - 2 weeks. Normally they dont take ages trying find your item so it might only take a few days, you get a nice sorry letter too and a refund in the form of a check :biggrin:

Although like was said above; the buyer should be the one that makes the claim using their proof of purchace i.e. PayPal invoice or eBay Invoice so that you dont have the worry of refunding them as soon as poss and their not stressing out waiting for you to update them on whats happening.

Latest

Trending

Trending