The Student Room Group

What were you doing in 7 July 2005 (London Bomb)? I'm writing a fiction

Hi Guys

Can anybody help me please? Now I'm writing a novel and my main character who was a student at AS level (at that time) was in a bus No.30 (which was bombed) on 7 July 2005. The thing is on that day it was weekday and I couldn't find a convincing reason why she was there:mad: . In my novel, the character had an argument with her mother in the morning. So, she skipped the class and went on that bus (accidentally) but I'm not sure if AS-level student had a class on that day or not (or maybe they had exam on that day). :confused:

So, Could you please tell me what you were doing on 7 July 2005? :confused:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I was on work experience near Edgware.
Reply 2
Looking it wikipedia it seems the no 30 bus exploded at 9:47.

You could simply say she woke up late, mother woke her up at 9 or whatever, argued with her for not putting alarm on/staying up so late/any other reason. Then the person rushes onto the bus to head to college, or something like that.

As to what I actually did, I was living in Manchester at the time - though my dad lived in London and frequently used public transport there so I was quite worried.
I was in Yr10 and was on work experience at a building services contractor firm. We heard on when one of the guys logged onto the net during a break and one of the women was really worried as her daughter had gone to London that day for a job interview [she was okay, thankfully]. :smile:
Reply 4
I honestly don't even remember it happening... :s-smilie:
Reply 5
I was in Italy on a sporting holiday, I'd just found out the good news that we'd won the Olympic Games, didn't find out until the 8th that we'd been bombed.
Reply 6
At the orthodontist
Sitting on my own whilst everyone else phoned Daddy and Mummy to see if the Lexus was OK.
All the exams would have been over by then, so she would have just had school or something.

I was in a year 9 Geography class when we heard, I started crying because I thought my dad might be dead.
Reply 9
What, it's a novel. Make it up?! She was truanting, had a mild case of brain manfunctioning which resulted in her forgetting she had to go and study, she had an appointment? (or maybe she was a nutcase and delusional, thinking she had an appointment when she didn't really)... Yeah, and then maybe you could make her out to have gone even more ******* mental after she witnessed the bombings. :eek3:
I was in Spain.

However, a lot of schools don't make you come in until you have a lesson.. so if you have a free period at 9am you wouldn't have to be in until 10am.. I know this doesn't make for such a good story but still :p:. Go with the argument idea :yep:.
Reply 11
I had finished my Art and Design AVCE, and was bumming on the sofa in my PJs all day!
was doing year 8 games day at school, didn't hear till ten past one.
I was on the district line going from Wimbledon to Edgware road then I was going to change lines to get to King's Cross. It was at West Brompton that the driver stopped and said that he was recieving information about 'explosions in Central London'. I remember being quite angry because I needed to be in King's Cross by 9am to catch a train. Eventually we were told to evacuate the tube and I had to get a bus home. I was still oblivious to the fact that it was terrorism though, until I got frantic voicemails from my Dad, asking me where the hell I was. Scary day. If I hadn't of woke up late that morning (because of a heavy night of olympic celebrations the night before) who knows where I would have been when those bombs went off.
I was in year 9 drama.
Music teacher came into our class and screamed THERESSS BEEEENNN A BOMB.

And we all thought it was in school or something.
I wish I'd have been in history or maths - less dramatic teachers.

Made sense when she swtiched the TV on, and the seriousness set in.
Our music teacher was that mental we didnt really think much of it.
Reply 15
I was working for an insurance firm in Manchester doing a data entry job to earn some cash over the hols - found out and then watched it all on the news in the staffroom at break time :frown:
It being 7th July, most AS students would have finished their exams. So, alot wouldn't be going into school/college probably.
If it is a novel, you can simply make it up. But AS students have lessons after exams. She could have been truanting with her best friend and to make it a little more exciting, her friend dies in the explosion and she lives.
Reply 18
I was at a drama centre in rehersals for a show all day. They didn't tell us what had happened until the end of the day, so we didn't get 'put off', which I thought was a bit insensitive.
Reply 19
InvoluntarySlacker
If it is a novel, you can simply make it up. But AS students have lessons after exams. She could have been truanting with her best friend and to make it a little more exciting, her friend dies in the explosion and she lives.

Zomg youuuuuuuuuu! :sad: Why can't I think like this. :daydreaming:

Latest