The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

the article in question wasn't that bad in my view, just another example of heard mentality

have you lot never heard of free speech?
JW92
and you're being a bit presumptious over what the three men were doing, along the lines of "Oh, they're gay, they'll obviously all be having sex".

Lol, you're being naive
Reply 42
I complained, but mostly because I felt furious that she'd intruded on the grief of his family. I know it prob. won't have any impact, but I felt it needed to be done.
Reply 43
Nick_000
The Daily Mail is loving it. Still proudly displayed near the top stories.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-1220756/A-strange-lonely-troubling-death--.html

Thanks for posting the link :smile:. I had heard about the furore of the article but hadnt read it.That bloody woman needs a good slap if you ask me!!!. All I know is that a young man is dead......and she cannot show one bit of empathy for anyone he has left behind. What a cow!!!.
Reply 44
Aeterna
Considering the Daily Mail is the second largest Newspaper in circulation, Stephen Fry is tarnishing a lot of people as indecent.

Your point?
Stolen Base
the article in question wasn't that bad in my view, just another example of heard mentality

Oh come on. Even for the Daily Mail it was an awful article.
TableChair
Oh come on. Even for the Daily Mail it was an awful article.

I must be missing something, having read the article i don't find it offensive or awful in any way.
Stolen Base
I must be missing something, having read the article i don't find it offensive or awful in any way.

Really? Here's a few crackers:

live a life that is shadowed by dark appetites or fractured by private vice

or damaging habits both past and present.

Whatever the cause of death is, it is not, by any yardstick, a natural one.

And I think if we are going to be honest, we would have to admit that the circumstances surrounding his death are more than a little sleazy.

What happened before they parted is known only to the two men still alive. What happened afterwards is anyone's guess.

Another real sadness about Gately's death is that it strikes another blow to the happy-ever-after myth of civil partnerships.

Gay activists are always calling for tolerance and understanding about same-sex relationships, arguing that they are just the same as heterosexual marriages. Not everyone, they say, is like George Michael.

Of course, in many cases this may be true. Yet the recent death of Kevin McGee, the former husband of Little Britain star Matt Lucas, and now the dubious events of Gately's last night raise troubling questions about what happened.

I am sure he would want to set an example to any impressionable young men who may want to emulate what they might see as his glamorous routine.

Yeah, not offensive at all :rolleyes:
Reply 48
Llamageddon
Wow man. you called them the daily hate. that's witty.

And what would you call them?
I don't see what's offensive with any of them statements. I assume you don't believe in free speech then? you'd like media regulated and censored?

It's pretty obvious he didn't die of natural causes, and alcohol and whatever else played a big part in his untimely death.
All Jan Moyr is doing is informing the readership of this.

There really are some sensitive people about.
Reply 50
Stolen Base
I don't see what's offensive with any of them statements. I assume you don't believe in free speech then? you'd like media regulated and censored?

It's pretty obvious he didn't die of natural causes, and alcohol and whatever else played a big part in his untimely death.
All Jan Moyr is doing is informing the readership of this.

There really are some sensitive people about.
I sorry i didn't realise you were a coroner and medical professional. Please do continue :rolleyes:
Trigger
I sorry i didn't realise you were a coroner and medical professional. Please do continue :rolleyes:

he died becasue of accumulation of liquid in his lungs(choked on his own vomit)

understandably the family doesn't want this to go down as cause of death, as it reflects very badly on gately.
Reply 52
Stolen Base

understandably the family doesn't want this to go down as cause of death, as it reflects very badly on gately.

Is vomit not natural?
Reply 53
Nick_000
Anyone who wants to complain (I did) click here: http://www.pcc.org.uk/complaints/process.html
People should let the PCC actually do their job of dealing with breaches of the press code, rather than wasting the PCC's time by inappropriately moaning to them about the article.
Reply 54
Bubbles*de*Milo

I love the line:

"I've just put a tenner on Moir choking to death on her own bile by the year 2012. See? Fun!"

Well done, Charlie Brooker :smile:
Reply 55
Charlie Brooker is my hero :love:
Stolen Base

The family don't get a say in what gets put on the death certificate. Where did you get that the fluid was vomit?

Surely if that were the case it would be death by misadventure not natural causes?
Trigger
Is vomit not natural?

that's the point though, 'natural casues' in this instance has been used in general way

died of natural causes after.... consuming a dangerous amount of alcohol

alcohol by the way is a very dangerous drug, supposing it was discovered today, it would be made illegal.
Stolen Base

And I suppose you have never done anything stupid whilst on holiday? Tragic as it is, choking on his own vomit is not sleazy.

I find it hilarious that Jan Moir compares this to hetro marriage and tries to say they are completely different. If we are to believe all the media scandal surrounding three-in-a-bed kiss and tells then civil partnerships and hetro marriage are more alike than ever. Or does Moir think no straight person has ever engaged in sex, drugs and alcohol.

I did find a good article that claims Moir is not homophobic as that implies fear but hetreo-superior (there's a proper term but i've forgotten it)
Reply 59
Stolen Base

Evidently, seeing as we are exercising our right to it :curious:

Latest

Trending

Trending