The Student Room Group

Is it possible to change colleges?

Hi,

I'd just like to ask if anyone knows anything about changing colleges (esp. at Cambridge) before starting studies. I applied successfully in 2004 and deferred entry to 2006, so I haven't officially become a member of a college yet. I'm a mature student (but a 'young' mature student--I'm only 22), and after inquiring with some colleges, I followed the advice given by some admissions tutors to apply to a mature college.

But now I realise that I may be better off in another college. I've been reading in some forums (including a thread in this one) that mature colleges may not offer the best uni experience for undergrads, and I also found out that other non-mature colleges can offer more financial support (I'm an overseas student, so cost is a factor). Because of this, I'm trying to find out if I can transfer to another college.

I inquired with the university admissions office of Cambridge about this, but I haven't gotten a reply yet.

So does anyone know anything about changing colleges? Any help would be welcome. :smile:
Reply 1
transportalator
Hi,

I'd just like to ask if anyone knows anything about changing colleges (esp. at Cambridge) before starting studies. I applied successfully in 2004 and deferred entry to 2006, so I haven't officially become a member of a college yet. I'm a mature student (but a 'young' mature student--I'm only 22), and after inquiring with some colleges, I followed the advice given by some admissions tutors to apply to a mature college.

But now I realise that I may be better off in another college. I've been reading in some forums (including a thread in this one) that mature colleges may not offer the best uni experience for undergrads, and I also found out that other non-mature colleges can offer more financial support (I'm an overseas student, so cost is a factor). Because of this, I'm trying to find out if I can transfer to another college.

I inquired with the university admissions office of Cambridge about this, but I haven't gotten a reply yet.

So does anyone know anything about changing colleges? Any help would be welcome. :smile:

Can only speak for Oxford with any certainty but here it would be extremely unlikely by now a college will have made all the offers it wishes to and its places will be filled. Beyond this, even if lots of people missed their grades why would they take an interest in a students the college subject tutors haven't interviewed and take the word of others - still more it would be treading on the toes of the mature college to do so.

There's nothing to stop you joining uni societies or making friends at other colleges. I would encourage you to think about how you could be involved in things beyond your college if you're worried they'll all be married with kids - but I have no idea if that is a fair stereotype.
RichE
Can only speak for Oxford with any certainty but here it would be extremely unlikely by now a college will have made all the offers it wishes to and its places will be filled.

Thanks for the reply, RichE. :smile:

I was thinking though that since I'm entering Cambridge in October 2006, there's still time for me to go through all the processes necessary (i.e. I can ride the admissions round this 2005, for students starting their studies in 2006). Would it still be unlikely if this is the case?
Reply 3
transportalator
Thanks for the reply, RichE. :smile:

I was thinking though that since I'm entering Cambridge in October 2006, there's still time for me to go through all the processes necessary (i.e. I can ride the admissions round this 2005, for students starting their studies in 2006). Would it still be unlikely if this is the case?

well the camb system sounds quite different to the one I know - sorry, but I didn't read your first post thoroughly - how is is that you are not associated with a college? You are going to be doing an undergraduate degree? I'm surprised someone somewhere isn't guaranteeing you a place :confused:
RichE
well the camb system sounds quite different to the one I know - sorry, but I didn't read your first post thoroughly - how is is that you are not associated with a college? You are going to be doing an undergraduate degree? I'm surprised someone somewhere isn't guaranteeing you a place :confused:

Oh, I meant that since I haven't formally started my studies/matriculated/registered yet, I'm not yet an official member of a college.
Reply 5
transportalator
Oh, I meant that since I haven't formally started my studies/matriculated/registered yet, I'm not yet an official member of a college.

But the offer must have come from a certain college - and was based on interviews that took place at that college but that college's tutors? Also I'm not sure how this would be seen, academically, for wishing to change colleges.

But anyway it's a sufficiently unusual situation that I guess you're best off waiting for Camb to reply. Though this would require a tutor at the college you'd apply to to fight your cause really and promote you with another college - and what would be their motivation?
Reply 6
I believe the OP meant that he has already been accepted by a 'mature' college at Cambridge, deferred for Oct 2006 entry. ('mature' = prolly graduate college?) And now he wants to switch to another college that also accept Undergrads.

Perhaps an informal enquiry with Admissions Tutor at the undergrad college of your choice might help?
Reply 7
Which mature college did you apply to? Some of them are fairly friendly and social. Don't assume just because you're at a mature college you're not going to have fun.
Reply 8
I'm not sure about the situation with undergraduate admissions, but it is possible to change college for graduate admissions. I applied very late in the cycle for admission in October 2003, and I was accepted by the department, but all four of the colleges I listed as my preferences rejected me, and I ended up getting an offer from Sidney Sussex instead. In the end, funding was also a problem because I had missed most of the scholarship application deadlines, so I had to turn down the offer from Sidney. I therefore deferred my offer from the department for a year, during which I managed to find funding and I also received an offer from St. John's, which was my first choice.
JustaGuy
Perhaps an informal enquiry with Admissions Tutor at the undergrad college of your choice might help?

I suppose I can do that. Thanks for the tip! :smile:
tommyboy
Which mature college did you apply to? Some of them are fairly friendly and social. Don't assume just because you're at a mature college you're not going to have fun.

Yes, but even without considering the "social factor," I'm still concerned about funding. I admit I didn't give enough importance to college financial support when I was preparing my application, but now that I do realise it and have done my research, there are some other colleges that really can offer me the financial support I need.
Radagasty
I'm not sure about the situation with undergraduate admissions, but it is possible to change college for graduate admissions. I applied very late in the cycle for admission in October 2003, and I was accepted by the department, but all four of the colleges I listed as my preferences rejected me, and I ended up getting an offer from Sidney Sussex instead. In the end, funding was also a problem because I had missed most of the scholarship application deadlines, so I had to turn down the offer from Sidney. I therefore deferred my offer from the department for a year, during which I managed to find funding and I also received an offer from St. John's, which was my first choice.

Wow, that is good news. I'm glad that it worked out for you. Hopefully, they allow undergrads to change colleges too. :smile:
transportalator
Wow, that is good news. I'm glad that it worked out for you. Hopefully, they allow undergrads to change colleges too. :smile:

They don't, at either Cambridge or Oxford it's unheard of - unless you want to change courses, having been at the University for a while, and your college doesn't provide that particular course. And even then, it's still unlikely, as it'd be easier simply for you to go to tutorials at other colleges - just as most undergraduates end up doing anyway.
Reply 13
stupid straw
They don't, at either Cambridge or Oxford it's unheard of - unless you want to change courses, having been at the University for a while, and your college doesn't provide that particular course. And even then, it's still unlikely, as it'd be easier simply for you to go to tutorials at other colleges - just as most undergraduates end up doing anyway.

I heard, by the ever reliable word of mouth, that a tutor at some Cambridge open day asserted that such a change was possible, but only under the most extraordinary of circumstances, as of rape or something similar. They certainly don't allow people to change for reasons of finance or social disposition.

Latest

Trending

Trending