The Student Room Group

International Political Economy, Global Politics, or International Relations at LSE

Hi Everyone!

I'm a final year student at an American university and beginning my application to MSc programs at LSE for Autum 2010.

I am a bit unsure of which course to do, and would appreciate if you all could share some insight!

I am currently double majoring in International Politics and History, and I want to use the MSc as a stepping stone to a professional career rather than an academic one. So I'm really interested in which of these courses will give me the best job prospects. Oh and I have a 3.75 GPA at an Ivy League college, if you want to be able to give a clearer idea of my chances at getting into each of these courses!

I originally planned on applying to the IPE course. However, I don't want my course to be largely quantitative, and am concerned IPE would be too much economic theory for me.

I then thought of IR, which is a subject that I feel very confident about (unlike IPE). However, I'm worried that it might be redundant doing the MSc, as my college major is in IR as well. Also, will IR at LSE lead to any decent career options?

Global Politics was the final one that came to mind, but I have little idea of how it differs from IR and IPE. I think it might be a good mix, i.e. some economics but not overwhelming...But this is just based on inferences! Would appreciate if someone could give me more insight!
Reply 1
Based on your background it looks like IPE would be the one that would give you the most... if you really want to learn something that is...
Reply 2
Here's what I've heard but I'm no expert, just another prospective student:
Global Politics is very focused on globalisation. IR is very theoretical and one of the most competitive courses at LSE (but you'd definitely have a decent shot with a 3.75). I think IPE is v. similar to IR but slightly less competitive and obviously has more of an economic element though it might not be particularly quantitative. You should check the actual courses/reading lists, they're all available on the LSE website and that's how I narrowed down my choices... (too many good ones to pick from! )

Latest

Trending

Trending